Author Topic: ROQ Center Shaft/QD's  (Read 8081 times)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
ROQ Center Shaft/QD's
« on: October 24, 2023, 03:53:37 PM »
I want to drop 120v extension down the center of our machines to run fans or other accessories and not be draping
cords everywhere or creating tripping hazards. On our You at least this seems very difficult, the passage is already
chock full of air/electrical. Anyone know otherwise? I haven't checked the Eco yet but I recall it seeming easy, and on the MHM
you can literally see the ground through the top of the machine.

Also, I want to add compressed air access to the bottom of the presses for similar reasons, air tools/blowoff guns etc.
(In case it hasn't become apparent I hate tripping hazards.) It would be simple to add our own quick disconnect to the air
inlets at the bottom of the machines, but would be even simpler to use the QD's at the flash/accessory attachment points.
That is if I can figure out what type/size those QD's are, doesn't look like anything I've ever seen. Anyone know?

Offline Admiral

Re: ROQ Center Shaft/QD's
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 04:30:56 PM »
I don't know about using the print head airlines, those are kinda small and whatnot but your accessory ones may be reasonable.  I instead put the air drop down / laser mounts from our ceiling using white unistrut and the aluminum airline goes to a valve at the end with 2 openings.  One for the permanent press line.  The other was going to be for paint spraying tack but we abandoned that idea actually.

With the tight center - see if you can get a thin rod through first, careful not to nick airlines then use that to pull the electrical through perhaps?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 04:50:21 PM »
I tried a fish tape from the inside access ports but no go. It's awkward.
I'll look at the top and see if anything doing.

The flash/accessory pneumatic connections are 8 or 10mm I believe, so plenty flow.
There's just a boggling variety of quick disconnect styles out there and I'm really good at choosing
the almost correct one.

A connection point above the press would be nice, our ceilings are 24' up there so
kind of a big stretch. I'm just glad I had enough forethought to drop 120v and ethernet to
each machine.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 04:56:34 PM »
i'd call roq and ask. Their techs generally are pretty helpful. I'm sure you're not the only one that's asked this.

Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 06:35:36 PM »
Yeah, that's probably the best idea.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2023, 10:08:46 AM »
We dropped electrical on our ECO. While it was no hot dog in a hallway, it was rather simple. I wouldn't try it on the YOU though, seems to damn narrow. As for the air lines, I would just "T" in before the machine at the base. If you go into one of the connections plugs, you will probably have to have Roq write you a new program as to when to "activate" or open/ close those valves. They should do it, but in my opinion it would just be a lot easier and quicker to tap in before the machine at the base..
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2023, 12:14:36 PM »
We dropped electrical on our ECO. While it was no hot dog in a hallway, it was rather simple. I wouldn't try it on the YOU though, seems to damn narrow. As for the air lines, I would just "T" in before the machine at the base. If you go into one of the connections plugs, you will probably have to have Roq write you a new program as to when to "activate" or open/ close those valves. They should do it, but in my opinion it would just be a lot easier and quicker to tap in before the machine at the base..

The You does look dire.

Our accessory connections are always pressurized though, the flashes have valves in them (that we've bypassed) to control
cooling of the non-contact thermometer. It's just too convenient not to use, and the air connect on the You is up top...

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2023, 03:47:20 PM »
you said the quick disconnect isnt like anything you had seen -  could you post a pic for us?  maybe its a european type of fitting?  if theres a parts catalog you might find the actual part name in the book...

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2023, 03:58:10 PM »
you said the quick disconnect isnt like anything you had seen -  could you post a pic for us?  maybe its a european type of fitting?  if theres a parts catalog you might find the actual part name in the book...

I literally just put it back on as the kids needed that flash. My first guess was European style also (which is measured in standard, oddly)
but it's not it. Nearest I can find is the "Compact" style, but McMaster has a discrepancy of how the tip is measured, it's listed two ways.

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/129/360/53465K44

The Roq parts breakdowns are extensive and I love it when mfgs list common names instead of just their part numbers.
I'll check those next.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2023, 04:18:38 PM »
BSP or PCL?
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2023, 05:54:02 PM »
BSP or PCL?

Who in the what now?

British Standard Pipe?

No luck in the manuals/parts breakdowns though I did find out the flashes have a programming port.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2023, 06:30:51 PM »
BSP or PCL?

Who in the what now?

British Standard Pipe?

No luck in the manuals/parts breakdowns though I did find out the flashes have a programming port.

PCL couplings. UK standard. Screws into BSP fittings.

I don't know what they use in Portugal...?
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2023, 06:57:10 PM »

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2023, 10:29:45 PM »
I was a bicycle mechanic in the early 2000's. There were too many standards back then. Now? WAYYYY too many.

Example - headset.

Do you want external, zero stack or integrated bearings? Now pick one of several diameters for each instance. Now try to sift through different manufacturers giving THEIR OWN DIFFERENT NAMES AND NUMBERING to the new standards. Now buy the expensive tool that the manufacturer manufactures for the installation of the supposed standardized component.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2023, 12:31:06 PM »
I like to think that given enough time a clear winner emerges and is adopted, like say windshield wipers.
Or presses where the screens drop instead of the table raising.