Author Topic: Upgrades  (Read 6361 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Upgrades
« on: October 30, 2023, 01:16:32 PM »
I know a lot of you upgrade your equipment, art programs etc when newer stuff comes out or when you just have to,  my old press needs a little love so I reach out to Anatol for some parts and the problem I having with them is they now make the Volt's which is all electric, and I think they don't stock many parts now for there older equipment.  This brings me to upgrades, what is a good time to ditch your old equipment at the very last moment or get ahead of the curve early, I'm one that really hates to keep purchasing equipment unless we just really have to.  I have to say it is really nice not having monthly payments, but I guess to make money you have to spend money.....  Pros/Cons
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 02:03:24 PM »
I remember having to entirely re-plumb our Anatols with all new airlines. At least at that time, they were using cheap grade air lines which had to replace out of pocket. Back then, I was not impressed with their service (that may have improved). In the earlier days of M&R

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 02:10:51 PM »
Ooops, any way M&R parts dept was pretty disorganized for a few ys. They were changing specs so fast that they apparently not properly documenting which models used  which solenoids etc.  I'd like to think that most equip manufacturers have addressed this. Now at the Image Network in Charleston (before they closed for good) the presses were rebuilt so many times they could have upgraded to newer/better machines for that same money....when they did finally close they were 25+ ys old and when the business was sold the presses were not of interest to the buyer and were scrapped.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 02:43:22 PM »
for us, it's about money.  If it pays for itself in less than 5 years, we'll look into it. If it can't, it's pretty much a non-starter. This is a guideline.

I had an embroidery machine that cost over $6k in repairs one year.  It also needed a $4k screen.  At that point, sell it and get something that doesn't have near the downtime, which also costs money.

Labor is a tough one, if an upgrade can replace an employee or prevent us from hiring one, that's something to look at.  Even base employees now are $40k a year.  Automation is looking better and better.

I'd rather be running our equipment, not fixing it.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 02:45:29 PM »
 I had to re-plumb all the airlines under each head about 4 years ago, now it's a line here and there which is a pain but not a real problem since I bought rolls up graded airlines from another company,  I wouldn't mine replacing the press but I'd really have to justify the gains of a new press vs a new payment every month.

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 03:10:21 PM »
when replacing air lines on our older anatol trident - i changed all the tiny air lines to 5/32 and used four different colors of tubing so years from now i wouldnt have to guess which air line was which...

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2023, 09:54:16 AM »
I struggle with this because of my age. I may not be that old, but....Just turned 51..

If I get something new, payment is approx 5 years, then I would be 56-57 when paying it off. I know thats not too old, but how much do I keep investing when you are pretty much ready to sell, it's basically the equipment the buyer is buying.

I feel like im walking a fine line..

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2023, 10:11:58 AM »
I struggle with this because of my age. I may not be that old, but....Just turned 51..

If I get something new, payment is approx 5 years, then I would be 56-57 when paying it off. I know thats not too old, but how much do I keep investing when you are pretty much ready to sell, it's basically the equipment the buyer is buying.

I feel like im walking a fine line..

That's where I am right now 58 and really don't want to buy new equipment major dollar equipment anyway

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2023, 10:56:01 AM »
Embroidery equipment, sure. Newer machines can save you major headaches like the BS we are dealing with on our older Barudans, conveniently nick named "you stupid POS" and his twin brother "aww WTF now?!".... I've been looking at upgrading our presses for the past few years and my major #1 issue is everything is digital. I can fix mechanical stuff, I can not fix electrical circuitry issues. Like new cars vs old cars. Old cars still get you A to B, may not be as fast but it'll still get you there with a little knowledge and TLC... From what I'm seeing, they are over complicating this process. It's ink on a shirt, it's not hard. More fancy features are just more things to go wrong.

And Happy Birthday Rob
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2023, 11:30:13 AM »
Embroidery equipment, sure. Newer machines can save you major headaches like the BS we are dealing with on our older Barudans, conveniently nick named "you stupid POS" and his twin brother "aww WTF now?!".... I've been looking at upgrading our presses for the past few years and my major #1 issue is everything is digital. I can fix mechanical stuff, I can not fix electrical circuitry issues. Like new cars vs old cars. Old cars still get you A to B, may not be as fast but it'll still get you there with a little knowledge and TLC... From what I'm seeing, they are over complicating this process. It's ink on a shirt, it's not hard. More fancy features are just more things to go wrong.

And Happy Birthday Rob

yup, exactly.