Author Topic: M&R Parts Availability. Not impressed.  (Read 4022 times)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
M&R Parts Availability. Not impressed.
« on: January 09, 2024, 11:36:06 AM »
Bit of a rant.

Gas Valve for our Sprint 3000 is jacked up so the machine is loosing heat a few times a day, we are basically having to babysit the machine. The dryer is 10 years old this month, it doesn't owe me anything. BUT id like to be able to fix it. So its a $1500 valve. Can source it online cheaper, but decided to pay the M&R Tax and buy it direct. Paid for next day air. This was Friday 8:39am Chicago time. It didn't ship. Monday comes, didn't ship, late in the day I get a email 5:32pm our time, "part is on backorder until March 29th".  This is a machine they still build, I assume pretty similar to how it was built when we got ours. Was similar situation when our LED panel went out on our Starlight.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

Re: M&R Parts Availability. Not impressed.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 11:44:33 AM »
they were doing inventory last week - that might account for some of the lost time.

try calling Tony Pernicello at CGS - he has a lot of parts, possibly one for your machine.

http://www.screenprintsource.com/

Offline Admiral

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 01:25:27 PM »
I replaced the modulator on our Sprint 2000 years ago, pretty sure I sourced it elsewhere.  Sorry M&R but your parts are way overpriced...I would be fine if they were 50% over other places but they are often 3x the price of other stores online.   I still buy plenty from them but I compare first. 

That's unfortunate that they didn't communicate that sooner.  Our issue was it would stick a bit and overshoot and overcorrect early after start up then settle and work okay, so it wasn't a rush replacement.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2024, 01:31:45 PM »
I replaced the modulator on our Sprint 2000 years ago, pretty sure I sourced it elsewhere.  Sorry M&R but your parts are way overpriced...I would be fine if they were 50% over other places but they are often 3x the price of other stores online.   I still buy plenty from them but I compare first. 

That's unfortunate that they didn't communicate that sooner.  Our issue was it would stick a bit and overshoot and overcorrect early after start up then settle and work okay, so it wasn't a rush replacement.

Ours loses heat, starts the shut down process on its own, so you have to restart it. Which takes a few.

I found the valve for $300-500 range elsewhere, but still paid the M&R price, $1500.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 02:44:56 PM »
I replaced the modulator on our Sprint 2000 years ago...

So that would mean the warranty had expired in 22 A.D...not bad!

But seriously yeah, M&R off the shelf parts can be had sometimes at 5X cheaper, or even less, and quicker, and cheaper shipping.

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 02:52:13 PM »
It could be the shortage of microcontrollers during the pandemic that is still being worked through.
There's tales of companies purchasing appliances and toys that contained the chips they needed to complete
their own products.

It could also be that a private equity firm is now in control of a once successful business and is able to source
the part at $10 less but they have to wait two months and piss off their client base.

If another vendor actually has the part in stock...

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2024, 03:13:36 PM »
It could be the shortage of microcontrollers during the pandemic that is still being worked through.
There's tales of companies purchasing appliances and toys that contained the chips they needed to complete
their own products.

It could also be that a private equity firm is now in control of a once successful business and is able to source
the part at $10 less but they have to wait two months and piss off their client base.

If another vendor actually has the part in stock...

I have heard some stories as well and I get that M&R in cases have tried to do whatever to get it solved.

I also believe part of it is how its ran now. This all can't be supply chain. Some of its poor planning/tying up funds in other areas...like digital.

If we needed a part in Rich's time, we never waited, it shipped same day...every time.

I bought M&R for the service and parts support. I told them when Rich left id be there till that changed. Are we already there? Feels like maybe. Which honestly is sad. Really sad.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2024, 03:34:15 PM »
Stuff like this is why you bought the equipment...because it will break, but getting it back up quickly is the name of the game.  This can kill a company, especially at a time when there are some really good competitors out there.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2024, 03:56:55 PM »
Stuff like this is why you bought the equipment...because it will break, but getting it back up quickly is the name of the game.  This can kill a company, especially at a time when there are some really good competitors out there.

Yes you are right. I bought M&R because of Rich first and foremost, straight up guy. Knew he was going to have what we needed when we needed. There are great people still at M&R, its not a slight to them on this post. I don't even want to make this post but im frustrated.

The parts department I replied to their email this am before they even opened, I have no reply yet. I sent my Sales guy a message he said he'd dig in and see what's up or down and I know he will but so far not heard back.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2024, 04:05:00 PM »
You have to remember Rich was a mechanic before he bought all shares of M&R and he ran the company that way "Service" really good service after the sale, the guys there now are like the parts salesman at a counter looking on there computer....Anatol is getting like that again and all of them are over priced on parts.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Admiral

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2024, 04:49:05 PM »
I replaced the modulator on our Sprint 2000 years ago...

So that would mean the warranty had expired in 22 A.D...not bad!

But seriously yeah, M&R off the shelf parts can be had sometimes at 5X cheaper, or even less, and quicker, and cheaper shipping.

lol, it was in Feb 2017.  Just for specifics here in case it's helpful to anyone in the future, I bought it from supplyhouse.com for $251.  Maxitrol brand.  I got it within 2 business days.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2024, 05:23:31 PM »
First of all, all due respect to M&R and Rich. Many may know I have had a long relationship with the boys. When NAFTA moved so much big boy production offshore, Rich had the wisdom to not disregard those left behind. Back in the day, you could reach out to a tech 24/7/365 and reach a person who could walk you through most things. We all know times have changed round the world so that is not how it works these days. I remember having dinner with RH once and he had asked me how they could be better. "Fix the parts department" was the jist. At that time, and perhaps currently, the had so many versions of presses as they were challenged with keeping up with the compatible parts.
All that said, many parts can be sourced elsewhere if you do the homework and have the technical knowhow how to replace them.
Captain Obvious signing off
tonypep

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2024, 07:35:24 PM »
Admiral, did you replace it yourself? I'm a little iffy on trying it as I'm not comfortable working with gas. (insert your comments now) I talked to two HVAC companies here in town and neither would touch it. I may have to give it a try though. Just need a six pack of beer and a pack of smokes and go to town
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2024, 09:10:32 PM »
Admiral, did you replace it yourself? I'm a little iffy on trying it as I'm not comfortable working with gas. (insert your comments now) I talked to two HVAC companies here in town and neither would touch it. I may have to give it a try though. Just need a six pack of beer and a pack of smokes and go to town

I dunno, but working with a gas line and a pack of smokes be careful!

But yeah our modulator went out a couple years ago, or should I say got sticky. Replaced it by local tech he was in and out before I could even see the dude.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2024, 06:23:06 AM »
Well M&R and my sales guy Tim solved this, I have what must be the last valve of its kind coming today. But they are not even building Sprint 3000's right now because no valves. So wild.