Author Topic: Any new exciting things at Long Beach this year?  (Read 2178 times)

Offline rusty

Any new exciting things at Long Beach this year?
« on: January 26, 2024, 10:36:15 AM »
For those of us who couldn't make it, was there anything new and exciting at Long Beach? I assume a lot more DTF and hybrid stuff. Any new equipment or trends that anyone is excited about?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 10:42:32 AM by rusty »

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Any new exciting things at Long Beach this year?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 02:30:27 PM »
I wasn't there, but I just saw a FB post about a new printer from Epson, small scale DTG and DTF, for 7K. Obviously that won't serve a big shop, but it's a pretty low starting point for new folks.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 06:22:01 PM »
Honestly for me and our shop it will be the time saving of implementing AI into as much as possible going forward. The minutes here and there and hours here and there add up to a lot of time over the course of a year. What Michelle Moxley is doing is awesome. That was my take away. The DTF thing is fine, just another way to decorate a garment.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 10:31:04 AM »
I was working the SPSI/MHM booth and it was so busy I didn't have the time I had hoped to walk the floor.

M&R had camera system that look intriguing. Take a picture on the print and it monitors it for changes, using AI I would assume. I didn't have time to look at it hard, or chat with anyone seriously about it.

We looked hard that the auto t-shirt stacker at the end of dryer and are trying to figure out how it might work in our shop. LOVE the idea but we are not sure how much attention it will need. Our current thought would be a 36" stacker on one side of a 72" belt, one person catching the other side of the belt and managing the stacker at the same time. The jury is still out. If it works the ROI would be 1 year or less.

ZSK had a 4 head with a Coloreel on each head. Really cool stuff but that set up was around 100k.

Digital was everywhere but I never took the time to look at any of it so I am sure I missed some cool stuff?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 09:40:24 AM »
Honestly for me and our shop it will be the time saving of implementing AI into as much as possible going forward. The minutes here and there and hours here and there add up to a lot of time over the course of a year. What Michelle Moxley is doing is awesome. That was my take away. The DTF thing is fine, just another way to decorate a garment.

In what ways are you thinking of implementing it?  There really isn't much office work for us that could easily be replaced by AI.  Standard automation like data entry has been huge for us.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2024, 04:34:57 PM »
I did get a set of the printGrip polymer gel adhesive to try on a main set of platens.  Hoping that won't take extra time and it will likely save 60-75% of tack costs per year.  We'll see what the pros and cons are soon.

Stampinator seems great, I am curious if it's fast enough for our presses and doesn't have a downside (like causing defects due to messing up the underbase).  Jeffrey did assure me there is no "squish out".  I may wait another year to move on this.  We do have roll screens after flashes when needed.

I did see the M&R vision and that is still in development but maybe out next year? We were working with a company on that to try to make the system ourselves for a bit a couple of years ago, project was paused though.  That + the Passport take off would be great savings, but I think the presses would have to be moved a bit to account for it.

Coloreel for embroidery was really neat, we have a use case for it but probably not enough to get it now.  Maybe next year or the year after though.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2024, 10:47:55 PM »
I did get a set of the printGrip polymer gel adhesive to try on a main set of platens.  Hoping that won't take extra time and it will likely save 60-75% of tack costs per year.  We'll see what the pros and cons are soon.

Stampinator seems great, I am curious if it's fast enough for our presses and doesn't have a downside (like causing defects due to messing up the underbase).  Jeffrey did assure me there is no "squish out".  I may wait another year to move on this.  We do have roll screens after flashes when needed.

I did see the M&R vision and that is still in development but maybe out next year? We were working with a company on that to try to make the system ourselves for a bit a couple of years ago, project was paused though.  That + the Passport take off would be great savings, but I think the presses would have to be moved a bit to account for it.

Coloreel for embroidery was really neat, we have a use case for it but probably not enough to get it now.  Maybe next year or the year after though.

I wonder if we could get few ppl to chip in and have our own version made? Any idea if M&R will sell to everybody?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline rusty

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2024, 10:23:26 AM »
Whats the M&R vision?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2024, 01:50:22 PM »

I wonder if we could get few ppl to chip in and have our own version made? Any idea if M&R will sell to everybody?

pierre

was told the M&R system was being developed for any press.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285