Author Topic: Gas dryer repair - 5 days on-site repair?  (Read 4898 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Gas dryer repair - 5 days on-site repair?
« on: February 09, 2024, 06:57:46 PM »
The burner fan on our dryer started making sounds, indicating it's getting old and needs to be replaced soon. The company we bought the dryer from said thats an easy fix. And we did certain repairs on our dryer ourselves before. That was back in 2021 when there was no entry allowed into the country during Covid.  I was really surprised to check the quote now for exchanging the burner fan. Apparently, it takes 5 days of on-site work. That will cost us incl. flight for the tech and parts and on-site labor almost US$6,000. That seems to be very expensive.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
Re: Gas dryer repair - 5 days on-site repair?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 12:02:20 AM »
Wow what type dryer. I would think 90% of you can do if mechanically inclined. My Mini sprint burner motor (bascially a turbo) has spray stciky and lint built up and wouldnt spin up to speed, took top off a long screw driver and cleaned the crap off and good to go.
But i know your in Japan correct?
My thoughts.
Shane

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 07:45:54 PM »
Wow what type dryer. I would think 90% of you can do if mechanically inclined. My Mini sprint burner motor (bascially a turbo) has spray stciky and lint built up and wouldnt spin up to speed, took top off a long screw driver and cleaned the crap off and good to go.
But i know your in Japan correct?
My thoughts.
Shane
I don`t want to name the manufacturer but it`s from the UK.
You are right, I could do the repair myself. During Covid, when the border was closed, I took the burner out because it didn`t start up properly. That was a more complicated repair. Replacing the burner fan seems a lot easier.  The most important thing is not to reuse the old gaskets. I`m just always very mindful of the dangers that come with repairs on gas-fired equipment. I`ll email them today and let them know that the engineer can come for one full day of on-site work. That`s plenty. This repair shouldn`t take longer than an hour.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 10:16:50 AM »
For reference...

The blower assembly on an older model M&R Sprint is $1600 (from M&R directly) and would take me maybe 30 mins to swap out (wiring included) while sipping coffee. That would include cleaning the burner chamber and swapping the flame rod and spark plug.

Sounds like their tech wants to spend a mini vacation in Japan.

I would look carefully at the components and see if they are off the shelf parts and you could maybe source them and replace them yourself. These are not space ships, they are essentially giant pizza ovens.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 06:01:18 PM »
For reference...

The blower assembly on an older model M&R Sprint is $1600 (from M&R directly) and would take me maybe 30 mins to swap out (wiring included) while sipping coffee. That would include cleaning the burner chamber and swapping the flame rod and spark plug.

Sounds like their tech wants to spend a mini vacation in Japan.

I would look carefully at the components and see if they are off the shelf parts and you could maybe source them and replace them yourself. These are not space ships, they are essentially giant pizza ovens.
The parts are being shipped to us this week. They are not very expensive. As a matter of fact we have the burner fan already here, it`s just the gaskets that are missing. Swapping all this looks very simple. All I`m wondering about are gas leaks, but generally, that`s what the gaskest are for.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 08:09:40 AM »
I was quotes $9000+ to have my rear pads and rotors done on my highlander, I was was like why so high they said it is minimum 3 hours of labor. So I bought the parts my self for less than $200 and did the job with my son in  about 45 minutes. That included fully bleeding the rear circuit.

But hey the guy in the white house is trying to tell us the economy is doing so great. I guess it is doing great for someone just not my working ass.
"No man is an island"

Offline Admiral

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 11:01:22 AM »
I was quotes $9000+ to have my rear pads and rotors done on my highlander, I was was like why so high they said it is minimum 3 hours of labor. So I bought the parts my self for less than $200 and did the job with my son in  about 45 minutes. That included fully bleeding the rear circuit.

But hey the guy in the white house is trying to tell us the economy is doing so great. I guess it is doing great for someone just not my working ass.

That sounds like a shop problem...

I've always done my own brakes but 1 time had a shop do the fronts on my last vehicle since I didn't have time, did that plus one other small thing for $500 and I'm in an expensive city.  That was parts included...

Find someone reliable and trustworthy that won't overcharge you for work on vehicles if you don't do the work...

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2024, 11:39:54 AM »

That sounds like a shop problem...

I've always done my own brakes but 1 time had a shop do the fronts on my last vehicle since I didn't have time, did that plus one other small thing for $500 and I'm in an expensive city.  That was parts included...

Find someone reliable and trustworthy that won't overcharge you for work on vehicles if you don't do the work...

I menat 900 not 9,00. But I am sure you knew that. I am in an expensive state as well and I called around it was about the average cost, Toyota dealership was even higher. Normally I don't mind doing things like this myself but I have a severe back problem and limited space but I did it anyways and got to teach my son a little about brakes and how they operate.
"No man is an island"

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2024, 12:57:16 PM »
and got to teach my son a little about brakes and how they operate.

That right there made it all worthwhile.

I was raised by a DIY father so I saw everything he tackled.  He didn't do automotive so I hung around auto shops as soon as I got a car knowing I would need some guidance.  We had 3 sons.  I was able to pass on a lot of stuff to two of them.  The other was a musician.  Need I say more? LOL.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 01:01:29 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers