Author Topic: Kids who want to follow in your footsteps  (Read 4341 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Kids who want to follow in your footsteps
« on: February 14, 2024, 01:52:41 PM »
I was messaging with whitewater about this, but my daughter has always wanted to work here.  I think this drawing was from the 1st or 2nd grade.  She's in 8th now and wants to work the whole summer here.  I am not sure I want the kids to take over the business when I'm done, I guess we'll see what happens.

Offline farmboygraphics

Re: Kids who want to follow in your footsteps
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 02:25:17 PM »
 :) :)
Tees and Coffee

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 02:47:48 PM »
Love It!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 03:22:33 PM »
I think the older I get, the more moving it is.  I have the original laminated on the side of the fridge at home.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 03:44:13 PM »
I wish now I would have let my sons work in the shop when they were little, now they are grown and don't care anything about this biz even though if I need them they will jump in and help out.  I say if the kids want to work in the biz let them, never know how far they might can move it to the next level, plus it helps us as we all are getting older we can retire or semi retire and know the biz is in good hands.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 05:04:59 PM »
my Stepson helped when I was at my old location and with just the manual, Id have him come over and just catch some jobs. Paid him well.

Then he lied when we got the auto, did everything but run the press.

Then he cleaned screens for a year.

But then college came calling.

But it was great having him around.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2024, 05:13:05 PM »
absolutely not. Here's why. People suck.

I won't hire them because that's the easy thing to do. I want them to fill out applications, have an a-hole for a boss, -shut up Rob-  hate on coworker Phil because he slacks off, sign in late and get docked for it- Life experiences I wouldn't give them if they worked here, minus the A hole for a boss thing ::)....  I'd like them to work in a restaurant for a little while too, they will appreciate that industry a whole lot more and learn why I tip so well. They also don't show any interest in anything here except the contents of my mini fridge and my gumball machine. Being 12 and 14, they are starting to look at occupations and find their interests, and this isn't it.  -However-  if they ever needed a fall back option, here's the keys, dad's retiring....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2024, 08:18:36 PM »
My oldest son works for us and will take over the business one day. He loves printing. He`ll be moving to Berlin for half a year or a year and hopefully can work there in a big printshop. Just so that he can experience a different working environment.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2024, 10:40:32 AM »
absolutely not. Here's why. People suck.

I won't hire them because that's the easy thing to do. I want them to fill out applications, have an a-hole for a boss, -shut up Rob-  hate on coworker Phil because he slacks off, sign in late and get docked for it- Life experiences I wouldn't give them if they worked here, minus the A hole for a boss thing ::)....  I'd like them to work in a restaurant for a little while too, they will appreciate that industry a whole lot more and learn why I tip so well. They also don't show any interest in anything here except the contents of my mini fridge and my gumball machine. Being 12 and 14, they are starting to look at occupations and find their interests, and this isn't it.  -However-  if they ever needed a fall back option, here's the keys, dad's retiring....

I would want them to work elsewhere as well.  I had a few jobs growing up and I think they really help. Also, we aren't open evenings or weekends, so it's not like they could work here during the school year.  Walmart was an interesting place to work for sure. Taught me a lot.

Waiting tables or any kinds of food service is a great job.  Chick-Fil-A is a great place to get your feet wet in dealing with customers.

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2024, 12:43:39 PM »
I have my kids (high school and college) help when they are around and I am busy enough. They are HANDS DOWN better workers than any hire we have ever made. I do not want them in the food service industry ever. I spent too many years in the thick of it. It is a tough life and lots of substance abuse from the top the bottom.
Just my (not so) humble opinion...
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline StinkyDaddy

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2024, 10:56:12 PM »
I homeschooled both of our kids in the studio. Neither of them are interested in printing now. They're off doing their own thing.