Author Topic: DTF under bill of hat  (Read 1174 times)

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
DTF under bill of hat
« on: March 11, 2024, 12:52:57 PM »
Hey All.
I have a customer looking for some text under the bill of his hats (alpha tt802). Different bible verses on different colors. I have been using some supa colors transfers on these. About half the time it works fine and the other half it does not. I have tried a few temps and longer press times. Do any of you do this? Have any tips?
Thanks!
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Admiral

Re: DTF under bill of hat
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 03:19:22 PM »
Platen heating up affecting it? Too small of detail? When you say it doesn't work - what parts are failing?

Pressing too long can be an issue too.  Sometimes it overheats, shrinks the print and becomes a kind of melted mess.  We haven't experience that in a long time but if we press nylon, we need to reduce heat and time a bit for instance.

Is it all the same material? is it cotton or poly?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 03:30:37 PM »
I'd like to see pics of just how it failed.
Problems I have had in the past, though few and far between were generally poor adhesion of fine lines.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 04:57:12 PM »
The word from Supacolor as I received it was .75 point for stand alone white, 1.15 point for color, if that helps

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 05:53:22 PM »
Here are a couple pics. Some of teh text is not sticking…

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 05:58:10 PM »
Here are a couple pics. Some of teh text is not sticking…

I'm figuring the relatively unyielding hard surface along with the seams is not helping matters.

Offline DonR

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 06:32:02 PM »
The seams and small text are going to be a problem.  Try using as much pressure as you can to press into the seams.  No matter what you do, it may not be 100% problem free

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 07:09:31 PM »
Thanks for the input. I will keep workin on it.

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2024, 07:18:01 PM »
Try cold peeling, I know they say it's "Supa Easy" but often times when the transfers aren't sticking, try cold peeling and it may work better that way.  Give it some finesse and roll the transfer off once completely cold, then if you want to post press with kraft or teflon that helps adhere edges better, but don't think totally necessary on the bill of a trucker.

Sometimes the transfers don't have enough glue applied so trying it on something else or flat to make sure it works well can help check that isn't the case.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2024, 10:42:24 AM »
Try cold peeling, I know they say it's "Supa Easy" but often times when the transfers aren't sticking, try cold peeling and it may work better that way.  Give it some finesse and roll the transfer off once completely cold, then if you want to post press with kraft or teflon that helps adhere edges better, but don't think totally necessary on the bill of a trucker.

Sometimes the transfers don't have enough glue applied so trying it on something else or flat to make sure it works well can help check that isn't the case.

I find warm peeling helps.  Like 2-3 seconds or so and it's good.  I also run the time over recommended by a few seconds as well.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 01:59:21 PM »
When we have problems with small lines sticking my wife uses a vinyl squeegee (the kind for vinyl stickers) and rub the sheet down pretty hard before she pulls off the film, that seems to help in most cases.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2024, 02:14:55 PM »
When we have problems with small lines sticking my wife uses a vinyl squeegee (the kind for vinyl stickers) and rub the sheet down pretty hard before she pulls off the film, that seems to help in most cases.

And then, a second pressing with a cover sheet, right?