Author Topic: This color fade  (Read 890 times)

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
This color fade
« on: March 13, 2024, 11:55:16 AM »
Trying to match a print for a customer from a previous order of theirs and Im having a hard time figuring out how they did this one. The fade in the print is so subtle. I feel as though I always get that "dot" look when we run halftones into each other. Anyone have a clue to either the art or the technique to get a smooth fade like this?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: This color fade
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 12:04:23 PM »
Are you sure that was even an intended fade? Did the customer mention that they wanted this and is in the art?  Looks more like a fading or bleeding error.

But the way I have been able to get similar, is by actually printing the darker color (under the top brighter color...and letting that top color kind of mesh and soak together.  Not by using a solid under but using halftones. It's kind of hard to pinpoint by how much halftone you need under it in order for the ink to penetrate enough in the right manor.  Usually near 25-45% dark ink under 80-90% solid top light color. But I do also knock that area out from the top color by 10-205% also. This is so that the top can allow the bottom ink to penetrate more easily.  Black under white makes good light greys for example.

The result can be very dot-less.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 12:23:00 PM »
seemed like it was intentional from talking with my customer. we have printed similar designs before without a fade for them and they were asking if we could add a fade like they had from a previous job (which is the picture). I think it looks great but just never had good luck getting that "dotless" look.

Dan, you may see an email from me with this one once I get the customer buttoned up with garments and such. You are way more knowledgeable that Ill ever be on something like this as we only print about 7-8 sim process jobs a year so there is a limited learning curve for me!!!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 01:08:44 PM »
65 lpi 355 mesh, curable reducer with a very low percentage of that peach color. Thats how I would do it anyway

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 01:22:12 PM »
That's a great idea too. Many ways to skin a cat potentially!!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 10:09:06 AM »
are we talking about that orange part? If so, mix the ink so it is the color of the center and fade out to the shirt. because the colors are similar they will start blending in at the lower end. you should be printing 100% in the middle and fade out to 10 if possible, my guess even 20 might work fine.

pj
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 09:58:04 AM »
first test run, but Tony's idea worked perfect. solid UB with tinted reducer and i cannot see a single dot. 75 lpi on a 305 (we dont have any 355s haha) just have to work on our UB being that is a solid brick of white, but so far im happy

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2024, 10:11:52 AM »
Looks about right, trick was probably figuring out that random fade part of the image.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2024, 10:28:49 AM »
NICE!   Having it up on top is a far better way than my suggestion for controlling it.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850