Author Topic: This will blow your mind...New Screen opener use  (Read 5057 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
This will blow your mind...New Screen opener use
« on: January 26, 2012, 12:56:36 AM »
Ok I don't understand this. I use non waterproof Kimoto SilkJet film and a Canon printer (dye-based ink) . I just cleaned the film that was printed a few weeks back with screen opener. It didn't effect the ink at all. It does take off that milky print coating leaving a really clear film. Screen opener will remove everything I put it on including melting some plastics. How does it not take the inkjet ink off?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 03:20:21 AM by Screened Gear »

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: This will blow your mind...New Screen opener use
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 01:03:10 AM »
Ok I don't understand this. I use non waterbase Kimoto SilkJet film and a Canon printer (dye-based ink) . I just cleaned the film that was printed a few weeks back with screen opener. It didn't effect the ink at all. It does take off that milky print coating leaving a really clear film. Screen opener will remove everything I put it on including melting some plastics. How does it not take the inkjet ink off?

OK, I am gonna have to try this tomorrow morning!!! Will let you know what happens. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 01:18:02 AM »
Just tried it on film I made this morning. Same thing, No removed ink. It just makes no sense.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 03:19:48 AM »
Just tried it on film I made this morning. Same thing, No removed ink. It just makes no sense.

Inkjet film has different coatings. The coating pulls the inkjet ink into it via capillary action and encapsulates it. The ink stays under the surface.

The screen opener is most likely removing the very top layer of the coating but not the layer that is encapsulating the ink.

(note: soaking some films in water does the same thing, but reduces the ink density slightly)
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 03:20:27 AM »
Ulano explains it better than I do...

http://www.ulano.com/ijf/inkjetfilm.htm
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 09:30:08 AM »
Aw great A$$ wipe is stealing all the threads from this site for the other, well i guess it should be considered flattering.
"No man is an island"

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »
Ok I don't understand this. I use non waterproof Kimoto SilkJet film and a Canon printer (dye-based ink) . I just cleaned the film that was printed a few weeks back with screen opener. It didn't effect the ink at all. It does take off that milky print coating leaving a really clear film. Screen opener will remove everything I put it on including melting some plastics. How does it not take the inkjet ink off?

Interesting discovery, but I'm still stuck on the "milky" coating. Isn't that a characteristic of the WP films? Is Kimoto different and not very clear to begin with?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 11:02:44 AM »
Aw great A$$ wipe is stealing all the threads from this site for the other, well i guess it should be considered flattering.
Wont be the first time nor the last.... >:(
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 11:22:43 AM »

Interesting discovery, but I'm still stuck on the "milky" coating. Isn't that a characteristic of the WP films? Is Kimoto different and not very clear to begin with?

My films are clear. One side has a clear film that when wet is milky. If I pull out film and forget what side I'm support to print on I wet a finger and rub it on the film. It makes a light milky spot on the print side.

I have tried press wash on the film also. No effect. All this time I have treated the film carefully so I don't mess them up. Amazing.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 12:48:55 PM »
Why are messing with the film in the first place?
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 01:22:57 PM »

I have the kimoto film too and just tried it. Mine goes milky after it dries though . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 01:53:17 PM »

I have the kimoto film too and just tried it. Mine goes milky after it dries though . . .

pierre

Mine did too. But if you use more screen opener on it you can clean that all off. Not sure why you would. The milky film would not hurt your exposure on the screen since it is clear and would liet light pass. (I have milky spots on some film I reuse alot and there is no effect from it in the screen.)

How did I figure this out? I was going to remove some ink from a piece of film before I put it in the trash. Screen opener was right next to me.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 04:35:06 PM »
Crazy.  I used to use Kimoto non-wp from Westar and loved it.  I couldn't get it to run with most rips though without too much gain.  I'm sure with more diligence on the linearization it would not be an issue and I'm hoping to get back to using it at some point when I have time to R&D it on the 4800.  The WP film is like a shortcut to controlling gain it seems.  The milky coating catches and dries the ink more rapidly and probably gives it some more depth for the ink to settle into.  The trade off is that damn milky-ness, scattering and blocking the actnic light.  With non-wp, it always felt like I was "flooding" ink onto the film to get the d-max I wanted.  Hence my surprise that you could wipe it with screen opener, what brand of opener was it?

That stuff produced far, far more durable and much more optically clear films than the Fixxons wp does.  I'm surprised but I guess not totally shocked that it can be "cleaned" after the ink thoroughly dries.  This is a big deal for those who library films on carriers for constant reprints.  To be able to use a cleaner {I would perhaps defer to something a little less caustic} to wipe the films clean after each use is huge.  Somebody should make a product set of film and cleaner perhaps.  An added step but worth on some of the jobs. 

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 04:40:33 PM »
what brand of opener was it?

Camie 480. I have used everything in the shop and nothing gets the ink off.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 04:41:57 PM »
what brand of opener was it?

Camie 480. I have used everything in the shop and nothing gets the ink off.

What kind of ink?  That's some burly, tenacious stuff.