Author Topic: Pop IMAP  (Read 751 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Pop IMAP
« on: January 27, 2012, 09:08:35 AM »
Since I recently discovered the true use of IMAP and i took the time to really educate myself on using it and setting it up I converted all devices to IMAP.

4 work PC's
2 Hone PC's
2 Lap Tops
1 IPAD
3 Smart Phones

All devices are now IMAP for each account

Now the problem we are having is the over whelming amount of syncing going on at all times, our server is suffering and constantly freezing up.

The other problem is if we read an email on one device it marks it as read on all devices which then makes it difficult to find important emails when we go to a different computer. As far as I can tell there is no way around that.

We have a basic hosting plan through AT&T I am wondering should we switch to a host that has more robust server capabilities that can handle all our devices being IMAP if so any recommendations?

If not then I might switch everything back to POP
"No man is an island"

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Pop IMAP
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 09:27:58 AM »
Since I recently discovered the true use of IMAP and i took the time to really educate myself on using it and setting it up I converted all devices to IMAP.

4 work PC's
2 Hone PC's
2 Lap Tops
1 IPAD
3 Smart Phones

All devices are now IMAP for each account

Now the problem we are having is the over whelming amount of syncing going on at all times, our server is suffering and constantly freezing up.

The other problem is if we read an email on one device it marks it as read on all devices which then makes it difficult to find important emails when we go to a different computer. As far as I can tell there is no way around that.

We have a basic hosting plan through AT&T I am wondering should we switch to a host that has more robust server capabilities that can handle all our devices being IMAP if so any recommendations?

If not then I might switch everything back to POP

The other problem is if we read an email on one device it marks it as read on all devices

this is actually a plus and one of the biggest benefits of the IMAP. Any emails that are important, you can either tag as important or mark unread so when you get to work you will remember to read it again. All the other stuff will just fall off.

My guess is you are running slow now as all the computers are downloading the msgs and syncing up. Give it a little bit of time  . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Re: Pop IMAP
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 10:56:14 AM »
It would probably be worth your time to give AT&T some crap too--the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  I haven't dealt with them for years, but they were so bad about throttling CPU and bandwidth, it made me want to throttle THEM.