Author Topic: Digitizing software.  (Read 5928 times)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Digitizing software.
« on: February 05, 2012, 08:11:17 AM »
So we are running a very gold version of Melco.  I feel like its not powerful enough, or that newer software surely has some advancements by this time that maybe we should be looking at new software.

So what are the rest of you using? 

I see the Wilcom Deco Studio mentioned often.  I do like they that have  30 day money back deal if you dont like it.  So low risk, however no trail to just try it without buying that I know of. 

Anything else worth looking at?

We have great results, at this point I am looking for ways to either improve them, OR decrease the time they take.  We just added another 4 head (11 heads now) so I can't have the digitizing side holding up the production side all of the time.  Thoughts?
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Re: Digitizing software.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 10:56:47 AM »
I use Pulse and I like it. I have Creator level, one above the basic level of Pulse.
I do not have many drawing tools in it, bat I get around with doing most of the stuff in Illustrator, and converting all of it to shapes in Pulse.
After I get the shapes, I do the manual settings for the stitch type, densities, underlay, pull, etc.

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 11:37:17 AM »
I have Wilcom ES65 and it is top notch.  If you can muster the cost for Wilcom I am sure you will be very happy.  I also have 3 training videos; digitizing, lettering & editing.  Very boring yet extremely informative and interactive.

I actually taught myself to digitize using this software and did all our digitizing for some time until the art side was too much that we contracted out our digitizing. 

It has all the drawing tools needed to design directly in the program yet it also accepts DXF files for which I would design in CorelDRAW, export and then open in Wilcom and most of the work was already completed.  Essentially only having to assign fill types and such.

Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ® 

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 12:27:12 PM »
I have Wilcom ES65 and it is top notch.  If you can muster the cost for Wilcom I am sure you will be very happy.  I also have 3 training videos; digitizing, lettering & editing.  Very boring yet extremely informative and interactive.

I actually taught myself to digitize using this software and did all our digitizing for some time until the art side was too much that we contracted out our digitizing. 

It has all the drawing tools needed to design directly in the program yet it also accepts DXF files for which I would design in CorelDRAW, export and then open in Wilcom and most of the work was already completed.  Essentially only having to assign fill types and such.

Where did you get the videos from?
"No man is an island"

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 12:58:11 PM »
They came with my software when we bought our first 4 head.  I honestly haven't seen them out on the net either. They are specific to the Wilcom software though so you might try there. yet I would suggest only if using the Wilcom software as I am sure it would be different for other progs.
Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ® 

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 01:12:28 PM »
I use Pulse and I like it. I have Creator level, one above the basic level of Pulse.
I do not have many drawing tools in it, bat I get around with doing most of the stuff in Illustrator, and converting all of it to shapes in Pulse.
After I get the shapes, I do the manual settings for the stitch type, densities, underlay, pull, etc.

How well is modern digitizing sofware at coverting shapes into useable/editable embroidery shapes.  I mean our program does it now, but you can't really do much with it other than sew it.  You can't for example in a H sew the vertical lines one way, and the horizontal line another. 

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 01:50:26 PM »
Brandt Wilcox is 100% professional digitizing software there is nothing at all you can do with it, you get down to single stitching one by one or use many of the drawing tools. I have Wilcox but I started out on old compucom software Wilcox is worth every penny.

Fluid we bought our Wilcox second hand from a local that went out of business unfortunately he had no Manuals or training included so I am self taught in the software, there is literally never a day that goes by I don't learn something new with it.
"No man is an island"

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 02:31:29 PM »
Brandt Wilcox is 100% professional digitizing software there is nothing at all you can do with it, you get down to single stitching one by one or use many of the drawing tools. I have Wilcox but I started out on old compucom software Wilcox is worth every penny.

Fluid we bought our Wilcox second hand from a local that went out of business unfortunately he had no Manuals or training included so I am self taught in the software, there is literally never a day that goes by I don't learn something new with it.

Do you mean, nothing at all you "cant" do? 

Main things I would love to be able to do is bring in vector logos (a lot of stuff we do we have in vector).  But I want the power to manipulate it.  Like the example I gave, a H might come in as a shape being a fill, what if I want it to be 3 satins (2 vertical sticks and a horizontal one).    So I want something I can easily bust that up and do it how I want.  We are big on sew direction and flow of lettering/shapes. 

Wilcom does that? 

Which version do you have?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 03:07:57 PM »
Yes wilcox does that Brandt but seriously it's not neccesary you can create three columns and define the directions etc in seconds. When it comes to digitizing I never use vector I always work off of a raster. You can use the vector tools but for me it is quicker to digitize from scratch and the results are typically better. When doing from scratch you can set overlaps a lot easier and digitize indivual sections that might normally be part of one whole object as a vector.

I use Wilcom ES6
"No man is an island"

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 03:30:13 PM »
Yes wilcox does that Brandt but seriously it's not neccesary you can create three columns and define the directions etc in seconds. When it comes to digitizing I never use vector I always work off of a raster. You can use the vector tools but for me it is quicker to digitize from scratch and the results are typically better. When doing from scratch you can set overlaps a lot easier and digitize indivual sections that might normally be part of one whole object as a vector.

I use Wilcom ES6

But I can already do all of that in my shitty software.  I guess I dont need anything new then. 

I was hopping for something with more power.  Sounds like there isn't, I need something to save time.... 

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 09:30:36 AM »

How well is modern digitizing sofware at coverting shapes into useable/editable embroidery shapes.  I mean our program does it now, but you can't really do much with it other than sew it.  You can't for example in a H sew the vertical lines one way, and the horizontal line another. 

I did not mean "Autodigitize". When I said that I meant that you get a "Shape" that you have a complete control of. As for the "H" letter, yes, you can do that. there is a slice too that you can use and make letter "H" as a 3 pieces that can c=be adjusted separately and have different thread directions.
Also, it has a quite big selection of pretty good pre-digitized fonts that sew out great.
http://www.hirschinternational.com/Products/Pulse-Microsystems-Software/Embroidery-Software-Solutions.aspx

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 09:50:55 AM »
Brandt Wilcom has full vector manipulation and creation as any graphic software, like I said tho I do not rely on it or anything to do with vector. But in your case since you do like it that way Wilcom might be great for you since you can manipulate vector easily. Wilcom also offers much much more than just that, what may or may not be benificial for you is any bodys guess, us personally one of its great features is the direct queing to the machine it is much faster the the compucon and has more features, for instance I have a color palette set up to match our 15 needles machine with the exact colors, I set the needles in wilcom and when the design arrives at the machine all the color changes are set.
"No man is an island"

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 09:59:34 AM »
Brandt Wilcom has full vector manipulation and creation as any graphic software, like I said tho I do not rely on it or anything to do with vector. But in your case since you do like it that way Wilcom might be great for you since you can manipulate vector easily. Wilcom also offers much much more than just that, what may or may not be benificial for you is any bodys guess, us personally one of its great features is the direct queing to the machine it is much faster the the compucon and has more features, for instance I have a color palette set up to match our 15 needles machine with the exact colors, I set the needles in wilcom and when the design arrives at the machine all the color changes are set.

Certainly sounds like what I need.

However I wish there was a way to try it, they are tyring ot get me to do a online demo, Shelly doesn't have time to stop to do a online demo.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 10:13:36 AM »
Brandt, Wilcom is a way to go, but I do not think that Wilcom Deco Studio is powerful enough. If you have enough money, full blown version of Wilcom is great. Pulse, is i think a close second spot. I got it because it is sold with Tajima, and it can be hooked up to a Tajima via LAN cable and router. No need to use jump drive or floppies for designs.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 12:13:02 PM »
Brandt, Wilcom is a way to go, but I do not think that Wilcom Deco Studio is powerful enough. If you have enough money, full blown version of Wilcom is great. Pulse, is i think a close second spot. I got it because it is sold with Tajima, and it can be hooked up to a Tajima via LAN cable and router. No need to use jump drive or floppies for designs.

How much is it?  I am not spending 15k on software...  I can tell you that lol