Author Topic: Why Cant I Open This In Corel X4  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Why Cant I Open This In Corel X4
« on: February 06, 2012, 12:17:07 PM »
The last few people that have sent me art (.ai) files I have not been able to open them, can someone check it out for me and see if you can get it to open in Corel?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Why Cant I Open This In Corel X4
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 12:38:22 PM »
import -don't open.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 12:43:09 PM »
It tells you in the notification message. The file is compressed. Tell your client to TURN OFF compression when saving from illy.  Newer version of Illustrator use this compression. The file should open just fine in X5.

Shoot me a email and I will send you the file in a DRAW X4 format.   Yet for future reference is they turn off compression when saving the files you shouldn't have any issues opening in DRAW.

richard at fluiddsn.com

scratch that. There are two (2) fonts that need to be converted to curves / outlines before resaving.

Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW Master® 

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 12:46:27 PM »
Ok I just emailed them with those requirements and let see if they get it right.

Offline Fluid

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 12:48:29 PM »
if you still have issues let me know. Happy to help in getting you a workable file.
Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW Master® 

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 12:51:55 PM »
Awesome thanks Richard, I will let you know the outcome.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 01:19:06 PM »
It tells you in the notification message. The file is compressed. Tell your client to TURN OFF compression when saving from illy. Newer version of Illustrator use this compression. The file should open just fine in X5.

Shoot me a email and I will send you the file in a DRAW X4 format.   Yet for future reference is they turn off compression when saving the files you shouldn't have any issues opening in DRAW.

richard at fluiddsn.com

scratch that. There are two (2) fonts that need to be converted to curves / outlines before resaving.

Seems to me that when I asked about just this, I was told by an Illyist that this damn compression has been the default setting in "Save" for at least six versions, since Illy 10.!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Fluid

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 01:21:51 PM »
Maybe yet with the newer CS versions, something must have changed thus the issues.  X5 deals with most of these with no issues. and I expect the next DRAW build will be even better. 
Richard

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 01:24:44 PM »
Asking your clients to save something a certain way will piss enough of them off that you will be better off in the long run by getting the right software.....Do not make your problem, your client's problem....

Offline cyw

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 01:29:34 PM »
X5 is supposed to do a better job with those pesky compressed files.............and it does, sometimes.

Except for the fonts defaulting (your customer forgot to convert to curves/strokes), the file you posted imported into X5 just fine

Have you seen this file yet?
My advice would be to grab a beverage (of choice) and sit firmly down on something that will prevent you from falling over.
That main bulldog is comprised of almost 600 separate pieces!!!! Yikes, yikes, yikes.
Looks like it may be an absolutely wondeful example of how NOT to auotrace an image
....just sayin'

Offline Fluid

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 01:40:35 PM »
Yikes exactly. what i thought when I opened it.

Asking your clients to save something a certain way will piss enough of them off that you will be better off in the long run by getting the right software.....Do not make your problem, your client's problem....

I am sorry but I do not agree with that statement. 

If a client sends you a design with a font not converted to outlines or curves are you going to purchase that font if you do not have it? What if it is a $300 font and the design is a simple one color design going on 20 shirts? You are going to ask them to convert the font correct?  If so than you just negated your statement as you just made Your problem, Your clients problem.

Another example is if you client send you a 2x2 72 dpi image and wants it prints as a full back on a shirt. Do you tell them to get a better quality image or do you just resize the image and print?  There are software out there that can re sample images (digital image interpolation) yet they can be very costly. Will you run out and buy the software just to not make your problem your clients problem.

Do you do what YOUR clients tell you on their jobs or do you train them to fit your way of doing business, printing, etc?

Same instance applies here as well.

Not starting anything yet it sounds like your really just brining up the old draw vs illy debate.

Richard

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 01:44:32 PM »
I am with Diane grab a stiff one when you see this art ugh!
"No man is an island"

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 01:59:40 PM »
I seen a jpg of it and would it matter if the bulldog were 600 pieces as long as I can open it. This is for a starting broker that I'm trying to help, he has alot of contacts but the people that have sent him files have been screwed up so I'm trying to get him as Richard said work within what I do here

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 02:04:33 PM »
Sorry I was not clearer in my comment.....I am talking about software issues not "crappy" artwork issues....I am talking about if your client works in Illustrator and you work Corel, that should not be their problem.....

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 08:57:04 PM »
I think one of these will get you going...

AI (after installing the two fonts) saved to .eps opened in Corel X4 - Saved in X4

The first is CMYK but I think everything is resolved.  The 2nd is results of using Oberon Color Replacer.

If you need to mess around with it, you need to download these two fonts -

youareloved-normal
majorminus-normal

Both can be downloaded free from http://www.dafont.com/majorminus.font

« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 08:06:42 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers