Author Topic: Thinking of Building.  (Read 961 times)

Offline Donnie

• !!!
Thinking of Building.
« on: February 06, 2012, 01:46:36 PM »
My building is an old 2 story structure. Climbing stairs several times a day is getting old and unproductive. The procuction area is real cramped to say the least. I have looked at other buildings but with the OIL BOOM, holy F! they want a pile and most would require some remodeling. At my age, I really don't want to dive into debt. I have about 1.5 acreas and have been thinking of building a metal building for a shop. Anyone went this route for a shop? Care to share blueprints, thoughts, advice??????

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Thinking of Building.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 01:55:37 PM »
I would recommend it.  We rent from my dad, and the best thing he ever did was become his own landlord.  Is the land attached to your house?  I would advise against building on the same property unless it is in a good commercial resale area.  Zoning might be an issue.  If it's already zone commercial or light industrial, toss up a metal building, slap some brick on the front to doll it up and roll with it.  You will never look back.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 02:28:24 PM »
One of the coolest shops I've ever visited was converted from a farm, HUGE production area.  Took some finagling with county officials, but well worth the time, from what I heard.

Offline jill

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:28:47 PM »
I went that route. 

There are definite pros and cons. 

Having your business on your home property sounds nice but it blurs the line between work and home.  Works is always there...a constant reminder, it hithers, and draws you in, even on Sundays!!!     

When I expanded my business I looked at moving into a storefront.  At that point in my life, I just didnt' want to be chained to "business hours"...my kids were young and I was constantly doing stuff with and for them...and trying to keep a consistent work schedule was just not going to happen.  So I decided to build on my property.    I adopted an open door policy, so my clients come and go at THEIR convenience.   The tradeoff of not having an in-town, normal business hours business is that clients come by at odd times, weekends, even Mother's Day.  But still not a deal-breaker. 

My only advice would be to build as big as you can.  I built a 30 x 32 metal building, thinking I would be rattling around in it....I outgrew it quick....wish I had double the size. 

Oh...my commute takes 30 seconds....it's 61 steps.    :-)

Offline Croft

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 01:00:51 PM »
I built approx 1300'sq on my property and really like working from here, I do probably 95% commercial/marketing company accounts so I rarely have anyone show up. The commute is great but as said before it is always there. A few thoughts build bigger than you think you need, you will mis having your own work shop once you start making money and buy some projects of the 4 wheel kind :D, when you  take holidays leave your property go FAR FAR away staycations don't work someone will always ask for something, if you get bigger waste water will become an issue from screencleaning, you will kind of get in a rut of having no overhead  making it real hard to move "Into Town" to expand when you want your shop back or to sell your house etc.
 But with 4 kids under 13 being home when they get off the bus is a bonus.