Author Topic: Shirts for setting up a job  (Read 3061 times)

Offline T Shirt Farmer

Shirts for setting up a job
« on: February 09, 2012, 12:59:42 PM »
What do you guys use for sample prints when setting up a job? I am sure the majority use reject shirts like we do. I am happy to say we have so few misprints we run out of them for setting up jobs occasionally and I have really hard time buying new shirts just for sample prints. I know many years ago you could buy "tubes" from the mills that were rejected during manufacturing, are these still available?

any ideas are much appreciated!

Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Re: Shirts for setting up a job
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 01:18:51 PM »
You can find "tubes" on eBay.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 01:32:22 PM »
Some were sold under the name "Test Tubes" and available through some suppliers. Calibrated used to list them, don't know if they still do.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 01:59:51 PM »
contact Gildan directly and get some test tubes. They are half price from what the distributors want. They also fit more test prints then the shirts.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline JayzTeez

• !!!
  • Manual Screen Printer
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 04:15:06 PM »
Jayz Teez Screen Printing
Houtzdale, PA.

Offline Croft

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 04:45:46 PM »
I have a large marketing company customer, They will give me any tees that go to a scrap order when a customers program comes to an end. They can throw away more shirts some months than I print.  Case in point scrap order on shirts from large INT. oil company  17K shirts I took about 5 boxes for setup shirts.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 06:25:30 PM »
We had a customer years ago that ordered a thousand red 50/50's and never came to pick them up, we are still using them as test print shirts, then we bought several hundred white tees about a year ago and have probably 75% of them left.  We also have white pellons but I don't like printing on them since they aren't really a good example of what it's going to print like on a tee.  They are so different in thickness and feel that a print that will look great on a pellon won't look worth a damn on a tee.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
i need something like tubes desperately!  I have been looking, but cant find anything.  I have already had all my family go through there closets and give me everything they had.  I am looking to maybe buy seconds from cottonconnection.com.  Any thoughts?
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 08:58:14 PM »
i got two red AA misprints  ;D
go to the local flea market
gabe

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 03:52:41 PM »
called silvercreeksales.com,  he is the man.  No need to look further.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 04:21:11 PM »
called silvercreeksales.com,  he is the man.  No need to look further.

what did you find?
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 07:48:47 PM »
he is the guy with all those tubes on ebay, but he will sell to you direct.  And he is only one day shipping from me.

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 08:26:06 PM »
We use pellon. If you are asking about how we set a job up. We first print our outline color with registration marks on a pellon, then we take a piece of film positive unprinted  spray a little adhesive on it and lay it on the pellon, no we can register all screens to this and test print on the film one color at a time, and you can wipe it off if you need to adjust your registration. We use that same piece of film for weeks. Then when we have it all ready to go we test on a reject shirt. Reduces the need to find a shirt to test on.

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 11:14:08 AM »
We use pellon. If you are asking about how we set a job up. We first print our outline color with registration marks on a pellon, then we take a piece of film positive unprinted  spray a little adhesive on it and lay it on the pellon, no we can register all screens to this and test print on the film one color at a time, and you can wipe it off if you need to adjust your registration. We use that same piece of film for weeks. Then when we have it all ready to go we test on a reject shirt. Reduces the need to find a shirt to test on.

thats kinda cool, I once attended a seminar where they covered the pallet with box sealing tape, did all the test prints and then wiped it clean.  Pretty good idea, but what if your printing darks and need to flash the underbase?  Will that film positive not melt?