Author Topic: fat handled squeegies  (Read 4853 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: fat handled squeegies
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 12:47:39 PM »
@Shanarchy- yep those ones. you can link 'em and make a transformer squeegee apparently and they stand on their handles blade up.  but the real reason I use them is you can flip the blade and get four brand new, sharp edges to use over the life of the blade.  the handle shape keeps you printing in the right direction. 

What squeege duro are you using in them? Do you push or pull? I bought a few and put 70/90/70 in them and find the design of the squeegee handle makes the squeegee rubber way to hard. I do pull.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 03:53:11 PM »
@Shanarchy- yep those ones. you can link 'em and make a transformer squeegee apparently and they stand on their handles blade up.  but the real reason I use them is you can flip the blade and get four brand new, sharp edges to use over the life of the blade.  the handle shape keeps you printing in the right direction. 

What squeege duro are you using in them? Do you push or pull? I bought a few and put 70/90/70 in them and find the design of the squeegee handle makes the squeegee rubber way to hard. I do pull.

70/90/70, Push.  The ergo force have a lip that extends down and gives the blade more backbone if you are pulling.  That's probably what you are experiencing.  This feature is kinda moot when pushing.

But if I were pulling with these I'd get me the softest possible blade out there.  A straight 60 duro is going to behave more like a 70 with that back lip supporting the blade from buckling.  Maybe even a 55 is possible. 

But you should be pushing anyways.  Seriously.  Especially now that you have an auto.  I'll venture that, on a given print run, there is much less variance between manual and auto printing when the manual printing is done with identical screens to the auto using a push stroke. 

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 05:24:27 PM »

70/90/70, Push.  The ergo force have a lip that extends down and gives the blade more backbone if you are pulling.  That's probably what you are experiencing.  This feature is kinda moot when pushing.

But if I were pulling with these I'd get me the softest possible blade out there.  A straight 60 duro is going to behave more like a 70 with that back lip supporting the blade from buckling.  Maybe even a 55 is possible. 

But you should be pushing anyways.  Seriously.  Especially now that you have an auto.  I'll venture that, on a given print run, there is much less variance between manual and auto printing when the manual printing is done with identical screens to the auto using a push stroke.

I have one 14" and two 16" ergos. I'll trade you for normal aluminum handles if you have them.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 10:47:09 PM »
They're all wooden handle and one little 10" is the only regular aluminum.  If you want some woodys I'd be game.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 01:23:28 AM »
Speaking of aluminum handled squeegees... I just got finish printing a job and it reminded me something I've been wanting to mention/ask.

When I flood (I think it's flood... maybe push)... the aluminum handle will shock me at some point in the stroke.  What's up with that?  I mean, I understand it's probably static electricity but is there any way to avoid it?  It's a pretty mean pop.

This is on a 200 mesh with Union Soft plastisol inks and chromoline blue emulsion (coated 2:1).

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 01:33:59 AM »
mist your workstation and yourself with some homemade static spray.  Check the measurements...but it's simply water and fabric softener.

I was pulling shirts off the auto one time and would get shocked every few shirts.  the longer it went, the worse it was.  I avoided it for a good while, and then I caught a great shock...right on the nipple.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 01:20:45 PM »

BTW I like my drum sticks 2b's the extra long ones  ;)

Yeah I'm the opposite with sticks. I play Regal Q 7000's. Well....I did till they discontinued them anyway. Still looking for a decent replacement.

My new sticks of choice is  5a Vic Firth Extreme , by far my favorites to use so far. I messed around with the Ahead's Tommy Lees ... junk and way too expensive! Not good for the quick punk beats,more for laid back steady rockin while smoking a cig drumming.

Offline Scobey Peterman

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 03:06:04 PM »
Screen Process of Alabama has them.

http://www.screenprocess.com/
Quality over Quantity