Author Topic: fat handled squeegies  (Read 4882 times)

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
fat handled squeegies
« on: February 09, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
Im starting to get wrist cramping issues which really bothers me because I'm also a gigging drummer, anyhow I have noticed that my wrist prefer the fat wooden handled squeegies that I dug out of a collection I had stored away (hated them before pre making the switch to pushing ink) , I forget where I purchased them from. Anyone know where I can find these?

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
Re: fat handled squeegies
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 05:11:05 PM »
The ones Ryonet sells have big 'ol handles.

Weird....I'm a drummer as well and I have large hands but I much prefer the thinner handles. Seems to me the thicker ones offer less control.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 05:29:47 PM »
Maybe from me.  I have big 'ol lengths of wooden jumbo handle squeegee handle.  I also have a bunch of 70 duro and some 70/90/70 blade.  If you're interested I'd be game to sell the handles for sure and probably as much of the blade as you want. 

I went over to the aluminum ergo force handles and I'd like to slowly get all the squeegees on that page. 

I prefer the fatty wood ones as well.  Not a drummer, but used to have a day job as bike courier and was a more avid mtn biker then and would run into hand issues with all the stress in the exact same spot for both jobs.  I'd get these lobster claw hands I would call them that would sort of lock up, like they were asleep and it hurt to get them going again.  I think it's the ulnar nerve getting too much pressure that causes this.

Make me an offer on it by the foot if you're interested. You'd have to assemble the blade/handle but that's easier than it sounds.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 05:32:34 PM »
The ones Ryonet sells have big 'ol handles.

Weird....I'm a drummer as well and I have large hands but I much prefer the thinner handles. Seems to me the thicker ones offer less control.

For pushing ink the fatter handles are more comfortable but suck big time for pulling ink. I have bananna fingers so the fatter ones aslo help keep my finger tips out of climbing ink.

BTW I like my drum sticks 2b's the extra long ones  ;)

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 04:48:18 AM »

BTW I like my drum sticks 2b's the extra long ones  ;)

Yeah I'm the opposite with sticks. I play Regal Q 7000's. Well....I did till they discontinued them anyway. Still looking for a decent replacement.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 08:45:21 AM »
zoo -you ride MTB? I used to race a circuit back in the day. . .still have my first race bike, GT Avalanche LE, back when they were made in USA, full XTR group set, Thompson post,  man that things a beast. My best fried owned the local cycle shop, he got me into the carbon fiber stuff. .but now I'm only road riding, too old for the beatings.

Shawn - easier solution is to hire someone to print for you while you go make sales calls. your wrists will only hurt from counting cash.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 08:47:48 AM »
my wrists hurt from other things...typing on this stupid...i mean totally awesome forum.

Homer's right, but that is a tough road go when you don't have the capital.  I think he'd be better off with a good used auto.  That would free up time for him to sell and build it that way rather than with a manual.  Your production is just too limited on a manual...and it wears on you.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Shawn,

I'm with you on the fat handles. I stopped using the traditional thin ones years ago. But I say skip wood all together and invest in these http://techsupportsps.com/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/170x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/l/alum70.jpg, I'm sure there are others that are just as good. But aluminum clean so easy! Especially if you drop it in the screen. Also, very easy to change the squeegee blade if need be. I was getting them from http://techsupportsps.com

Zoo, are these the ergo squeegees you are talking about?
http://www.techsupportsps.com/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/600x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/r/ergo709070.jpg

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 10:27:59 AM »

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 01:05:08 PM »
So apparently everyone on here screen prints, plays drums and rides mountain bikes.

I used to work at a few local bike shops on the weekends. I'm a die-hard single speed convert. I had a Santa Cruz Chameleon that I built to be indestructible. BMX cranks, stem, cromo bars, DH wheels, 5" fork, etc. It weighed 32 pounds. Miss that thing, need another one.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 01:20:42 PM »
no doubt! what do you have on the front end of that thing? manitou ? looks like an old Judy DH. Chris King headset too? love those things. Single speeds are a ton of fun, I rode with a  guy on a Kona 29'r single speed. that's a weird ride for a short guy like me, but the taller guys loved the larger wheel. I blew through a few rides, my last bike was a Salsa Caballero, disc, XTR, man I loved that bike. Climbed like a mountain goat. I My next purchase was going to be a Scott Spark, but I got into this road riding thing. whole nother world. Man, I need to get back into MTB. I had an old GT LTS-3 -my favorite ride ever.

I had those pedals on my trials bike. miss that too. 2.2" tires. damn, those look bigger than that.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 01:34:42 PM »
Hahahah...  nice.  I guess I don't fit in--I'm a bass player.  Just about every day it's sunny (which, luckily, is most days here) I ride my fully rigid Surly Instigator--three inch front tire, 2.5 rear.  XT geared, DH double crank, four piston discs, Doubletracks laced to Hope Pro II's, 38 pounds and nearly indestructible.  And I still drop roadies all the time.       :)
I need to find something good to replace the Azonic platforms though--I replace them almost as often as chains and cogs...

Back to the topic at hand--I started using polyken to tape 3/8" thick 1/2" pipe insulation to the handle side of the classic wood style handles, if you do the push stroke, I HIGHLY recommend trying this.  Cost under three bucks for enough to do 12' of squeegees... I have huge hands though, you may want to go to the 1/4" for short fingers.
Picked up the hint from a late nineties OSHA doc on carpal tunnel syndrome.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 01:43:28 PM »
guitar here. . . ::) . I know -typical. . .38 pounds is a pig, not a bike  :D . holy smokes, my road is like 14 pounds. . .that's literally "Nuke Proof". . .ha!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 08:18:52 PM »
@Homer - not a racer, just for gits and shiggles.  The courier job is the only professional cycling I've done. 

Good 'ol poor man's Surly 1x1 w. Profile cranks (ti spindle- the bling nobody sees), thompson, some kinda rock shox, ruby I think, etc.  Tons of fun.

@Evo- that is damn sexy. 

@Shanarchy- yep those ones. you can link 'em and make a transformer squeegee apparently and they stand on their handles blade up.  but the real reason I use them is you can flip the blade and get four brand new, sharp edges to use over the life of the blade.  the handle shape keeps you printing in the right direction. 

@Homer again- 14 effing pounds?  that's barely fart proof. 

@Foo- Brilliant, I'm going to try this for long runs. 

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 09:24:28 PM »
Stats on that bike, at least when I sold it:

King headset, 03 Bomber Z1 fork/front 20mm hub, Atomlab rims, Atomlab stem, Azonic cromo cranks, Paul SS hub (36 spoke), KMC 3/16" bmx chain, custom machined 36t chainwheel, Nevegal 2.3 tires, Thompson post, Avid mechanical disc front with a 8" rotor, Avid single digit v-brake in back. (I'm all about the front brake)

I have an ultra cheap 29" SS bike now. (Nashbar special)

I'm gonna get another Santa Cruz this summer.

Back on topic - does anyone make those squeegee handle rubber grips any more? Like a piece of rubber that glues on, folded over the top of the handle. (anyone remember those?)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 09:27:17 PM by Evo »