Author Topic: Removing Electrical  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Lonestarapparel

• Verified/Junior
Removing Electrical
« on: February 13, 2012, 05:19:38 PM »
I have a question that I hope someone may know the answer.  I started out sub leasing some warehouse space from a contract embroidery shop.  I installed all the electrical that I needed (they supplied and paid for Nothing).  I am moving into my own space now and was wondering if I have the right to remove that installed electrical to reuse some of it at the new space.   He says that it has to stay and I was told by an electrician that it was added after the fact and can be moved just like the equipment can.  What do you think?

Brian
Lonestar Apparel

Offline Scobey Peterman

Re: Removing Electrical
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 06:49:30 PM »
My first question is , "where are you??"

My second question is, "how mad do you want to make the owners??"
Quality over Quantity

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 07:11:36 PM »
Was there any understanding when you installed the electrical about leaving it? I ask because in the warehouse space I leased, I was allowed to install a 220 circuit for my dryer, but was told up front that it was to remain if and when I left, which I did.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 07:24:53 PM »
Typically unless it is stated in the agreement it would be considered an upgrade to the building and would stay. Most commercial spaces   upgrades to electric, ventilation, plumbing, etc become the property of the owner. If a permit was taken out to install it might become an issue for the owner down the road if removed. It all depends how much it is worth it to you.

Offline Lonestarapparel

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 08:36:01 AM »
Iam located I Houston and All I need is the Plugs.  We are having a hell of a time finding 60 Amp plugs in stock anywhere.  Everything else will be staying.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 08:46:53 AM »
Grange, Mc Master Carr, LF Gaubert (New Orleans), Greybar, Summit Electrical Supply (Houston & La Port), Coastal Electric (Houston)

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 08:54:11 AM »
  Generally (in most states) it would be considered a "permanent fixture" and would stay.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 08:57:47 AM »
Dude, Amazon.com  if the local guys can't do it, screw 'em.  You don't need to wait on them since this is your business.

I'd rather spend my money with the local guys, but a lot of them don't want to have a 1 time cash sale to a "hobbyist."

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 10:36:32 AM »
In my lease it states I'm renting the building only.  No landlord responsibility for heat, hot water etc.  So when I leave, the furnace I put in and all the wiring I ran along the ceiling for the press, flash and compressor is going with me.  Copper ain't cheap!

Offline Lonestarapparel

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 08:37:01 PM »
The guy that I am sub leasing from does not have a formal lease agreement.  BAsically old school handshake. The owener of teh buildings is 87 years old.  I just took the plugs that I needed and left the rest.  I dont want to hassle with tearing it all down.  If they throw a fit about it I will just tell them to show me in in the lease agreement where it states that. 

Thanks Guys.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 12:33:12 AM »
I would ask them what you have to leave. Have them put it in writing. Most likely they don't know and will not care. If its the power for your dryer and press or anything that is not normal items I would take them with you. What use do they or the next tenant have for a 3 phase 90 amp breaker and wire. I would consider stuff like that part of your equipment and not an upgrade to the building. I added a 10x12 foot room (darkroom) built in the shop with supportive steel stud and a top that can hold way over 3000 pounds of storage. It has sprinklers and power that was all done to code. If I leave I know they can ask for that to stay. My over $900 in wire conduit and breakers for all my powered equipment is coming with me. It is part of my equipment.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:41:47 AM by Screened Gear »