Author Topic: Epson Stylus Pro 7880  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Epson Stylus Pro 7880
« on: February 14, 2012, 12:00:55 PM »
I wanted to know if anyone uses this and how you are using the inks for printing films. I had heard that some can modify the printer to only print black ink?  Is this needed, standard procedure or do you print in all CMYK?

Thanks
Dan

« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:19:30 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Ron Pierson

Re: Epson Stylus Pro 7880
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 06:14:12 PM »
Dan - I have one
We use ACCUrip and purchase the all black from them as well. We still use the cartridge system. I thought it was to messy for a bunch of graphic artists to be fooling around with the funnels and bottles. ACCUrip has settings for all black and it works out great. I run a TON of film through these printers. Use 17 inch film - lots less waste

Offline myseps

• Master Color Separator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 06:39:15 PM »
We use that printer with the refillable cartridges.  Black ink only.  The rest of the cartridges we fill with a windex-like solution.
myseps.com color separations by Scott D.   Follow me on facebook

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 04:33:41 AM »
I thought so. Currently, he is using all colors CMYK, + in the original setup. Not "refillable", cartridges, but he replaces each one as needed.

Does the ink coverage come out (as deep) and dark using just all black?  It's pretty opaque now as it is. I'm wondering if he does it for ink coverage (opacity) or maybe he does simply doesn't know you can switch it to just black?

Have you noticed a difference in cost savings using just black? He probably puts out 24x30" films at 20 sheets a day.

By the way, these things are soooooo slow at printing films. Sheesh. It's like 3 hours to print one 9 color job. Back in the day, using wet photo film/Imagesetters, it would take about 30 min to raster and then it would spit them out. about 30 min total.  MUCH faster and higher quality but the machine was more costly and did have more prep and maintenance. I think  he has the highes quality setting right now. How much different is the lower quality setting? he uses 53 lpi on most and 75 lpi on others.

Thanks
Dan

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850