Author Topic: Artists / Printers Share Your Other Creative Endeavors!  (Read 2371 times)

Offline ravenmark

• Verified/Junior
  • Derek
Artists / Printers Share Your Other Creative Endeavors!
« on: February 18, 2012, 02:51:05 PM »
If you or an artist like me, or not, I know many of you have other creative endeavors outside of your chosen career field. Creativity is a beast that is sometimes hard to shut off. What is the other outlet that sets you on fire, woodworking, music, invention? If you have one, I for one (& others I would think), would love to check them out, don't be shy share! I will go first for those of you who are lack the gumption, click here to check out one of my favorite creative past times.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Artists / Printers Share Your Other Creative Endeavors!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 09:12:04 PM »
I must even be weird among artist as well. Sheesh.

I don't have any other "thing" that I can go to. In fact. I'm pretty busy with what I got and if I have any other "outside time", I try to think of my family and do something for them. On the other hand, I would like something, but then I ask hyself, when do I have time to do something else?  LOL.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 12:36:57 AM »
I like to work on the house.  I just did a new pantry.  I got sick and tired of storing excess food in the basement and I got tired of not being able to find stuff in the cabinets.  So I turned a wet bar into a pantry.

I also used to do a lot of car shows and work on my car.  With a kid and another on the way, it's hard to take the time to do that anymore.  I have a 1962 Midget that is in excellent shape.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 12:52:14 AM »
I'm with Dan on this one. I have always wanted to learn how to play drums but never got around to it. Not that I want to play in a band or anything I just think it would be fun. How hard is it to learn anyway? I may try and learn when we move into a bigger shop.

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 12:53:21 AM »
Generally, I enjoy doing whatever creative endeavors my 7 year son, Maximus, wants me to participate in with him. 
Otherwise, I'm always working on the next big thing that everybody needs.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 01:26:15 AM »
If you or an artist like me, or not, I know many of you have other creative endeavors outside of your chosen career field. Creativity is a beast that is sometimes hard to shut off. What is the other outlet that sets you on fire, woodworking, music, invention? If you have one, I for one (& others I would think), would love to check them out, don't be shy share! I will go first for those of you who are lack the gumption, click here to check out one of my favorite creative past times.

After just finished watching Underworld: Awakening, listening to you band was a continuation :)
Listened to the song Patriot which reminded me a bit on early nineties Fear Factory, especially when I heard two vocals.
Fear Factory - Self Bias Resistor

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 10:40:02 AM »
I'm with Dan on this one. I have always wanted to learn how to play drums but never got around to it. Not that I want to play in a band or anything I just think it would be fun. How hard is it to learn anyway? I may try and learn when we move into a bigger shop.

"Bangin' on the bongos like a chimpanzee."
Mark Knopfler

J/K. In college I had a buddy who had a set of drums stashed in a closet of the basement of the art department, and he kindly showed me where he hid the key and told me to knock myself out. Whenever I was pissed or bummed (which around that time was daily) I'd go down there, set 'em up, and pound away. It was a tonic.
My kid is a drummer. Played in the pipe and drum band at Rosie O'Grady's in O-town when he was in high school with a bunch of "pickled" Scots, and assorted Celtic wannabes. Punk bands now.
I've always had a guitar or two around, but for some reason, while the instruments got better, and even getting more knowledgable around the fretboard, I never quite blossomed into Eric Clapton. Must've been something else to it. More practice, perhaps?
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 11:00:04 AM »
NOthing could be harder than drumming.  I spent 2 grand on a set then sold them.  I learned real fast I need to stick to guitar playing.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 11:55:28 AM »
Yeah I heard drumming was the hardest to learn. Each of your limbs have to work independently of each other. Lol that's alot of coordination.

Offline Coyote71

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 12:01:20 PM »
Thanks guys. Now I got to pull my set out and start playing. Got me in the mood to pound the hides. Nothing else is getting done today  ;D As for the original topic on this thread, anything to do with outside. Hunting, fishing, motorcycles, 4x4 rock crawling. This time of year, on the weekends and weather permitting, I have a commercial crab boat. Should be there right now but the swell and wind waves are little too much to be safe. Will post some pics when I figure out how to do it

Offline Coyote71

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 12:09:25 PM »
Lets see if this pic attach at a decent size

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 12:12:21 PM »
Where you have it docked? Monterey?

Offline Coyote71

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 12:16:27 PM »
Moss Landing. 2 1/2 hour drive. Great getaway place. All the amenities of home. Even got dish network and a bbq on the deck. Nothing like a fresh caught salmon hitting the grill straight out of the water. :)

Offline nobrainsd

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 12:31:58 PM »
I started printing as a hobby. Then it was a business and I printed what I was paid to print. Right now it is back to a part time thing and I get to print what I like. So it is once again that creative outlet for me. So sweet. I have respect for all of you printing full time.

However, it is good to get out of the garage! Hydrofoiling affords me plenty of sunshine, wind in my face and water up my nose! Now I'm vacuum bagging carbon fiber boards for that sport. Find myself back in the garage for that too, oh well! Click on the gaineranimate.gif for the full invert sequence.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 12:34:29 PM by nobrainsd »

Offline ravenmark

• Verified/Junior
  • Derek
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 08:48:51 PM »
Dang I now have a craving for some fresh seafood by the lake while listening to Fear Factory on a drum throne!

DK I used to like to design while listening to FF, great band. As far as drumming goes guys, it is a brain scramble for sure. Definitely cardio intensive, good thing I know drummers. I will tell you one thing though, most drummers I know are laid back, it is an awesome way to get the aggression out. As far as musical instruments goes the more you practice the better you get, I have been playing & writing music for 28 years and there is not a day that goes by that I do not feel like I could learn or discover something new. @nobrainsd Sweet invert! @mk162 I used to be a major gear head too back in my younger days. Cool stuff all!