Author Topic: Sericol's CMYK discharge inks  (Read 2490 times)

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Sericol's CMYK discharge inks
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:32:52 AM »
Anyone try to print with them?  I can't wrap my head around how effective they would be and can't imagine them not needing a top white along with a lot of test prints?

I've done a discharge base and plastisol cmyk on top with good results, just want to go a step further.  I mean, if Sericol makes it, they must have tested it, right??

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Sericol's CMYK discharge inks
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 10:40:11 AM »
Well, I guess the four colors would discharge out, but what if there are white areas in the image, they would need a white discharge as well? Calling TonyP...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 11:10:22 AM »
I used to make my own CYMK discharge inks. Far from doing it by the book; I set out to match Unions Tru-tone plastisols using pigments and base. 55 line CMYK 305 mesh on black and dark garments with a hi white. Rick S is more familiar with the Sericol products though.
tp

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 11:14:57 AM »
Cool, thanks Tony.  What do you think about activating a "black discharge ink"?  Couldn't I just use a process black ink?

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 12:00:18 PM »
Cool, thanks Tony.  What do you think about activating a "black discharge ink"?  Couldn't I just use a process black ink?

It will turn gray when it comes out the dryer. It's a neat way to create special effects with black discharge. Play around with it under and over a white base.. the results are interesting and can make for a really neat overprint distress.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 12:27:46 PM »

It will turn gray when it comes out the dryer. It's a neat way to create special effects with black discharge. Play around with it under and over a white base.. the results are interesting and can make for a really neat overprint distress.

Ahhh hmmm that could have some interesting possibilities.  Do you have any pics of it?  I know, a long shot.

I wonder how different it would look if printing CMY discharge and spot black on black tee vs. CMYK all discharge.

I haven't seen any pics of any CMYK discharge printing in my googling endeavor.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 12:33:36 PM »
It was seven or so ys ago don't have shirts or pics. Turned out quite well but sim process yielded more consistent results.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 02:53:17 PM »
Zero experience here but it sounds like discharge black, with the right pigment level would make a perfect halftone key color.  I almost never use an opaque black for halftones, typically a very transparent black.  A weak clear discharge base + just enough black pigment, over printed to a degree on the CMY and White might look amazing.  I would imagine you would want to let the other four colors really spread out so the more transparent/weaker black is coming down over top and providing all those bonus shades.   That's weird actually if you think about, you would encourage and allow gain on your colors to get more blending and then keep the black absolutely perfect to pull it all together.  Huh.  I'm just talking out my arse here.

I'm really looking forward to getting my dots to blend out completely with discharge and doing tons of overprinting.  Though I never use true process to print anything, this stuff excites me. 

Back to the less exciting task of lint control...