Author Topic: Newman pros  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Croft

Newman pros
« on: March 04, 2012, 07:28:34 PM »
Well I've had some Newman rollers for a while , I have stretched about five in the past with some success, But I had some time thursday/ fri last week to do some more. I had to clean and prep before stretch because they were used frames . I spent a while because i wanted them clean.
I have a couple of questions.

1- When stretched they were all flat to the surface, Tonight (2 days later) when I went to check tension and re tension about 1/3 were not flat anymore? is that typical.  Just to let you know I have a new SNAP-ON torque wrench so I'm sure that was correct.
2-  I am sceptical that the Newman yellow protector tape is going to stick?  Should i have done the degrease first clean of the mesh before I put it on?. I have used 110 and 156 SEFAR white mesh.
3-  I got a good 30 -40 newtons on all is that a good average? I had popped a few I think because of not soft enough corners. so going past 35 -40 was getting a little iffy.

Thanks for your time.

Offline inkbrigade

Newman pros
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:08:43 PM »
Newman should always stay flat as long as they start out flat and the bolts are torqued to the right foot pounds.

As for popping mesh not softening the corners enough will get you every time.

Make sure to check the manufacturers suggested tension level on the mesh and don't go over that.

Newman yellow tape works great if you degrease the mesh on top of the rollers first then put the tape on.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline inkbrigade

Newman pros
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 08:10:08 PM »
The reason you want to decrease the mesh first. Is because mesh manufacturers put lanolin on the mesh to keep it from sticking together.
So you want to get that off before you put the tape on.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
Re: Newman pros
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:41:01 PM »
I'd suggest going to Newman/Stretch Devices site, and watch some videos
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline beanie357

• !!!
  • Patience begets quality
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 09:16:11 PM »
We saw a jig/manual stretching gizmo at Vastex when we took their course. When we work with anything metal, we try to get it into a jig to weld, bend, cut, etc,, and find that has been a great way to keep items flat and square, or angled correctly. Might apply to Newman frames as well.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 10:34:04 PM »
Check out mooseman's third hand (other pics in later post in second page)

www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,723.msg6207.html#msg6207
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 12:43:01 AM by Gilligan »

Offline Croft

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 11:07:09 PM »
We saw a jig/manual stretching gizmo at Vastex when we took their course. When we work with anything metal, we try to get it into a jig to weld, bend, cut, etc,, and find that has been a great way to keep items flat and square, or angled correctly. Might apply to Newman frames as well.

Actually I was at there site and the videos are pretty poor, there is the one from Ryonet with a guy stretching a square tube + 3 rollers that was helpful, and a few videos showing the stretch table . but no begining to end stretching technique from them.

I have there PDF instructions that are pretty good as well but they leave out the tricks or basic things like how long the locking strip should be etc.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 11:21:30 PM »
Doesn't RJennings have a decent video?

I know when I first started I saw a REALLY extensive video which spent a good bit of time talking about corner softening and all.  I thought it was his.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 11:46:41 PM »
Check this out -This shows using panels, but the table works for both.

Using the Accelerator 2 - Square Bar Frame

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers