Author Topic: White shirts  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
White shirts
« on: March 10, 2012, 11:40:12 AM »

Request to print on white would be a dream, lol

Still my most requested shirt color, as it has been for 24 years.

This thread began tangentially in a pricing thread
http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,3183.0.html  and was split and moved
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 12:12:23 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: Re: where would you be at
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »

Request to print on white would be a dream, lol

Lucky....

I get to print on white like 5-10 times a year. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 11:55:56 AM »
I print mainly white and black and mostly simple 1-2 color designs. Its best but just need more of it.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 11:58:38 AM »
I print mainly white and black and mostly simple 1-2 color designs. Its best but just need more of it.

And you need to charge more. :p

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: White shirts
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 12:15:55 PM »
I love white shirts!

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 01:34:17 PM »

Well, you're doing something right. I almost never print on white. I'm thrilled to just print dark ink on a lighter shirt color.
What do you tell customers, anyway? "You'll take white shirts and like 'em?" or do you use Jedi mind tricks to make 'em think that's what they want?
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 02:37:07 PM »
White shirts are boring, they get dirty too easily but I love printing them! White's are cheap too...

black
white
heather grey
navy
red

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 02:39:29 PM »

Well, you're doing something right. I almost never print on white. I'm thrilled to just print dark ink on a lighter shirt color.
What do you tell customers, anyway? "You'll take white shirts and like 'em?" or do you use Jedi mind tricks to make 'em think that's what they want?

I think that the answer must be my market, and that in turn may also involve price point as well. I do get more than $1 less for white than black,  (let's not get too specific) Printing manually, I charge more for flashing, and of course, black usually requires an underbase or p-f-p. The shirts also can cost half again as much to start with.
I also don't do an extraordinarily high percentage of specialized groups like bands, bikes, cars, and gang bangers, all known to prefer black.

Don't get me wrong, I still print plenty of black, and even stock all sizes of black, white and ash (with ash taking a big hit the last couple of years). However, I easily sell two to three more times as many whites.
I do lots of jobs of 72 or less, often with customer supplied artwork, and let's face it, most "drawings", especially one color, look best on the original media, white paper.
If they are adding fleece as well, I steer them to ash on those.

Red is interesting as a shirt color as black ink can look really nice, and of course is easier to print than white. I am doing a job like that right now, and the combo wasn't even my idea.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 03:44:28 PM by Frog »

Offline Get Shirts

White shirts
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 03:28:34 PM »
I love printing on Silver shirts. Everything looks good on it, easy to print, and just looks higher end than ash or sport grey. 

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 03:34:53 PM »
I love printing on Silver shirts. Everything looks good on it, easy to print, and just looks higher end than ash or sport grey.

May have one coming up if I ever get an answer on my current Font question. They are to imitate the look of an old jersey which was a non-heather gray.

Offline Get Shirts

White shirts
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 03:39:48 PM »
Well it's going to look great!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 03:40:31 PM »
I love white shirts!

What are those?

Seriously, we print on white shirts about 1 out of every 40-50 jobs right now.  We had a dream job on Thursday, black ink on white shirts, front only, 1000 pieces.  From start (exposing screen) to finish (taping up boxes) we spent about 80 minutes on that job.  Of course we didn't make much on the job because it was for an organization that was giving the shirts to some troops coming home, but that's ok.  They called us on Tuesday and needed them by Thursday afternoon so it was a 48 hour turnaround for a good cause.  That's my white shirt story for the week.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »
I stock whites, I LOVE printing them.  We print a lot of them on our digital printer, that is why we keep them.  I have a job this week where it's a full front on 8 shirts, same design every time and I am billing $10.84 per shirt.  Art is done, shirts are in stock and it will run off in about 10 minutes or less.  Another job that is 20 pcs, lc/fb, that one bills about the same per shirt.

I also have a guy that does tennis tournaments.  He gets white tees every 2 weeks or so, about 100 pcs, 2c/1c.  Snoozer.

We do a good mix here.  I still do mostly colors, but a lot of whites too.

Oh, and for blanks, the PC61 is the best white blank.