Author Topic: Plastisol on vinyl faced fabric?  (Read 1799 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Plastisol on vinyl faced fabric?
« on: March 11, 2012, 08:58:23 PM »
So I did a quick swipe with the ink knife of both TW 5500 series as well as reg plastisol on some vinyl face fabric pieces I have to print.  Both cured up fine it seems.  I'd probably rather use the plastisol so it stays more flexible (these will be tags on handbags) but I still sort of confused on it's long term durability.  My guess is the plastisol makes its mechanical bond regardless but I'm not sure.

Anyone know the answer?

I'm going to run it with 5500 I think to be safe but still would love to know. 

Hope you all had an excellent weekend.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Plastisol on vinyl faced fabric?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 09:02:52 PM »
I have only use vinyl inks on vinyl.
The solvent based ink was really nasty, and I went with a water based from TW, perhaps the one you have.
I would check the abrasion resistance of the plastisol before committing.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 09:19:31 PM »
I'm just going to use the TW.  There's a couple different grades of adhesion and the 5500 series we have is like the omnihesive  (not a word)  the list of substrates is crazy.

Yeah, I've heard the stories of the vinyl inks, said no way to that and am now excited to use the TW wb inks on vinyl stickers hopefully this summer.  They are so benign it seems.  When I dug into the msds it seems that glycerin is the only solvent like ingredient in those TW inks.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 12:57:46 PM »
Grrrr.  So the 5500 made a valiant effort but it appears the vinyl had a face coating.   The ink is adhered but you can scrape it off with a thumbnail and some effort.   Luckily I can wipe the prints off and hopefully the face coating with it using a little isopropyl.

TW is sending me some additive that boosts the adhesion even more but now the client has tossed in some taffeta for printing as well. 

I'd love to use WFX Epic Performance (low cure temp) black with nylobond for good measure on the whole run combined but, again, any hope of the plastisol grabbing that vinyl or is that a pipe dream? 

And if it is a dream, what, besides TW's offerings, options are there to print vinyl without needing a respirator and haz disposal?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 01:00:43 PM »
try wiping the print area with 91% isopropyl alcohol.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 01:04:28 PM »
Yep, doing that.  I think that along with the adhesion booster should give the TW 5500 all it needs to get it done but I'm really wondering about the plastisol with nylobond.  It'd be nice to avoid a color change and just do it all. 

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 01:56:35 PM »
I have some rubber base ink that's supposed to stick to "plastic", so I figured it would work on PVC rain jackets--nope.  Plastisol with nylobond performed well, but ended up going with the vinyl ink as to not have any issues.

PITA with no drying rack though...

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 02:19:46 PM »
Yeah I really need to get some racks up in here.  I force dry to touch through the dryer for flatstock at the moment but racks are handy. 

So that plastisol/nylobond stuck to the pvc jackets...hmmm, that should mean it'll work on this stuff.  The material is kinda like light duty auto upholstery or something.