Author Topic: Emulsion Color  (Read 6445 times)

Offline chubsetc

Emulsion Color
« on: April 12, 2012, 02:01:36 PM »
Just wondering if there is a specific reason for the coloring in emulsion.  I have been using a blue emulsion (chromablue) for a couple years and just got a sample of a pink emulsion (Aquasol HVP) and it burned nicely.  I know the Aquasol has a bit lower solids content, but is the color anything more than just preference for registering your designs?   

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: Emulsion Color
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 03:28:49 PM »
Just wondering if there is a specific reason for the coloring in emulsion.  I have been using a blue emulsion (chromablue) for a couple years and just got a sample of a pink emulsion (Aquasol HVP) and it burned nicely.  I know the Aquasol has a bit lower solids content, but is the color anything more than just preference for registering your designs?

That’s a good question. I use aquasol HV (blue) it is the best I have found. I know it comes in pink but I have never used it. I personally would not use a pink emulsion. Now if they came out with a lime green emulsion I may try that.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 03:30:29 PM »
why would you not use a pink emulsion?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 03:31:22 PM »
There are some emulsions that come in CL versions but the primary reason emulsion companies color code their emulsion beyond registration is............anyone?
Hint: think of squeegees.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 03:33:01 PM »
I was wondering the same thing. Why not use pink?

You can get emulsion without the dye if you want a clear. Its just a bitch to see pinholes.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 03:42:55 PM »
There are some emulsions that come in CL versions but the primary reason emulsion companies color code their emulsion beyond registration is............anyone?
Hint: think of squeegees.

Viscosity?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 03:52:48 PM »
Good answer but not quite right.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 03:58:15 PM »
Solids content? I suppose they're about the same thing.

As for squeegee's being color coded, I wish all the manufacturers would adopt one system.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 04:01:45 PM »
If you use a variety of emulsions, and have choices of colors, it's nice to see quickly what blues you have, (Photopolymer), and pink (dual cure) or water reistant purple.

The names, of types and colors of the emulsions represented in the drama you have just watched are fictitious.  ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 04:57:25 PM »
Thats correct Andy but I knew you knew already. It's primarily for identification. Same with squeegee materials. It's quicker to ask for a red squeegee (squeegee rojo) or blue emulsion than explain the physical properties of durometer or emulsion characteristics especially in large shops with high turnover. Those discussions should, however, happen eventually of course.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 05:22:39 PM »
why would you not use a pink emulsion?

The color pink represents compassion, nurturing and love. It relates to unconditional love and understanding, and the giving and receiving of nurturing. There is no place in a screen printing shop for that crap. The real reason is everything in my shop is blue or cool tones and having bright A$$ pink would bother me. Remember I was a graphic designer for Corporate image for many years so inconsistencies in image bother me. I know it’s an anal thing. Another reason is if I used that bright pink/red stuff my dark room  washout booth would look like a murder scene.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 05:34:39 PM »
My favorite emulsion is a mid priced house brand called Davis "Purple" but man it sucks for registering jobs, much prefer pink. Pink seems to always be the more expensive stuff for whatever reason and green being crappy cheap stuff.  There should be a yellow. Always wondered if clear and food coloring could work?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 05:38:11 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 07:27:15 PM »
I only use pink Ulano QTX, wish I could find a blue that was as good and similar in price.  Chromo blue is WAAAYYY to expensive.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 07:33:01 PM »
I haven't used or priced it recently, but the blue one I used to use (and love), Chromaline PL, was my choice over QTX, and always similarly priced (High! Kissing a bill if I remember correctly)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 08:37:59 PM »
I only pay $62 for QTX, that blue you mention is like $97 a gallon.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"