Author Topic: printer ink for positives  (Read 3478 times)

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
printer ink for positives
« on: April 16, 2012, 09:11:17 AM »
recently lost my lap top crash & burned all my favorites.
looking to replace the source someone posted about black  ink for printing positives. it was from a screen supplier i think but i cant find it in the archives here. pleasse help.
respectfully
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: printer ink for positives
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:26:16 AM »
or inksupply.com (MIS)

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 09:45:37 AM »
check into accuink from Chromaline. 'should be available from your regular supplier as it is mad for screenprinting positives. Huge improvement over the regular stuff. . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 09:51:59 AM »
I use Cobra Inks in Tennessee.  Richard is waaay knowledgeable re Epson printers. Not sure where you are, or your specific needs, but we get 2 day ground from them and friendly service.

I've just bought one of his CIS systems installed in a 1710 for dye sub.  We hope that might find some use for one-off jobs that still somehow wander into our shop.  We stick-em pretty good for those low quantity jobs, and still... they come.

http://www.cobraink.com/ink/ink%20dye%20base.htm

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 10:04:26 AM »
check into accuink from Chromaline. 'should be available from your regular supplier as it is mad for screenprinting positives. Huge improvement over the regular stuff. . . .

pierre

Wow Pierre, that's expensive stuff. $98 for 7.4 ounces.  http://chromaline.com/listing.aspx?searchQ=accuink

Have you had your films tested for D-max?  I've threatened to test mine, but never have.

Hey, maybe I want to try it. I might give them a call just to see what they say. I do trust the Chromaline folks.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 10:25:31 AM »

pierre

Wow Pierre, that's expensive stuff. $98 for 7.4 ounces.  http://chromaline.com/listing.aspx?searchQ=accuink

Have you had your films tested for D-max?  I've threatened to test mine, but never have.

Hey, maybe I want to try it. I might give them a call just to see what they say. I do trust the Chromaline folks.

I went from 3.05 dMax to over 5 with that ink. While, yes it is pricey, it still only costs few pennies per film.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 10:28:04 AM »
That is pricey, I pay about $30 for a pint (16 oz.) from MIS, no density problems. Oops, I typed before I read Pierre's reply. Now back when I used real photgraphic film, D-Max topped out at 4.0, which was the top of the scale, totally opaque. Has that scale changed? Just curious, I don't always keep abreast of the latest...

Steve
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:30:37 AM by Sbrem »

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 10:33:01 AM »
the hybrid ink I linked to might be the same stuff as the accurip ink.  there are tons of "super dark" inks on the market and I bet a lot of them are made by the same company.  There aren't a ton of inkjet ink manufacturers out there.

My densitometer maxes out at 4.0, and it errors out on the hybrid ink.  I obviously can't get a closer reading to compete with Pierre's, I just don't have the tools.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 11:10:04 AM »
my densitometer goes to 6. Not sure why, but some sources quote 6 as max and some use 4. From my understanding, the scale is exponential and we are just talking about decimal places behind 99% after you pass 3.0. so 4.0 would be 99.9% light blocked and 5.0 would be 99.99% light blocked. Thus the saying that 3.0 is enough.

Something else to think about is that we are trying to block UV light and most densitometers are reading regular light. So while our readings are a good reference, they are not necessarily correct in the spectrum we need them to be.

pierre

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 11:11:20 AM »
oh, and my volume goes to 11!

Helloooooo CLEVELAND!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 11:34:18 AM »
Well, if you're not going to link, someone has to!

It goes to 11 (The video's owner prevents external embedding)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 11:38:19 AM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 01:10:52 PM »
I figured it had changed, it was a long time ago after all. Sadly, all of my amps stop at 10 too ;D

Steve

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline myseps

• Master Color Separator
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 02:16:06 PM »
myseps.com color separations by Scott D.   Follow me on facebook