Author Topic: Screen tension - does 5 Newton’s make a big difference  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Screen tension - does 5 Newton’s make a big difference
« on: April 17, 2012, 04:59:21 AM »
I have been running statics for over 3 years my lowest tension is 15n and highest is 24n. Most of my screens are in the 18n to 22n range. I am wondering where is the sweet spot. Is 25n enough? what about 30n? Do I really need 40n?How much is each newton worth?

Each mesh count is different so let’s just say the 156 (150-160) thread meshes what tension do you have to have?
At what point does the tension do more harm than good? (popping screens)
At what point can you not tell the difference in print quality?

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Screen tension - does 5 Newton’s make a big difference
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 06:32:07 AM »
Yes 5 Newtons can make a huge difference.

Forget mesh for a moment and think about a rubber band.
A fresh new band will take an increasing amount of energy to allow you to stretch it from fully relaxed to it’s elastic limit. As you stretch the rubber band to limit you can actually easily feel it stop stretching as it reaches it’s elastic limit. In that general area the amount of energy you apply is exponentially greater than anything previous and the resultant stretch is actually kinda the inverse as exponentially less / input energy....you are near the elastic limit of the band. If you keep pulling it fails.

Ok now that you have “softened” up the rubber band a few times by stretching it you can again take it to the elastic limit. The difference here is the amount of stretch, (length) is generally a bit greater given the same amount of energy input and the band pretty much acts the same when you reach the upper elastic limit it is just that the band will allow you to stretch it a little longer.

Now to your 5 Newtons, pull out the term rubber band and insert screen mesh.
On new mesh the stretch is different than on used or seasoned mesh, we all know this to be true.

IF the mesh has a recommended upper limit of say 40Nm than 5 Nm plus or minus in the 25 - 20 Nm range doesn’t mean much. You will improve the performance of the screen but the tension is so low the performance goes from pretty crappy to crappy so to speak.

If you are in the 35 Nm range then 5 Nm is huge because it dials you in to the ideal / recommended  limit for the mesh and the performance goes from pretty good to great.

The short answer then is IT DEPENDS where you are tension wise to the recommended  range of the mesh and if the mesh is new or used. You have to know what the recommended tension profile of the mesh is. These are pretty common, you can get some right off the stretch devices web site. If you know the mesh brand you have then from that manufacturer specifically is best.

When we tension NEW mesh we tend not to pay too much attention to the value on the meter initially but stretch the mesh mechanically a couple of times by stretching it with the wrench back and forward a few times. We then draw up the tension and and quit stretching the mesh when we detect the stretch resistance rise dramatically on the force we apply to the wrench. This is our initial tension and perceived elastic limit of the mesh at that initial stretch. Set the screen aside for a few hours and go to your meter and recommended tension recommendations for the mesh you are using to establish you initial working tension.
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:45:31 AM »
Question: the only mesh I have been able to take past 35 newtons is an 80 mesh count all others seem to pop around 35-38 newtons. What mesh are You using? I have been shooting for 28-30 newtons. With the higher counts being lower tension is that pretty standard or do you guys take your 200 mesh counts up to 40?

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 08:38:49 AM »
I think there is a huge difference between 15-20 newtons but not so much between 35-40.  But I agree with getting the mesh up to the recommended level set by the manufacturer.  I went from static alums to shurloc ez's and newman rollers so I went from 15 newtons to 30-60 right away and I noticed a huge difference in quality and most importantly, setup times.  I take our 205N mesh up to 55-60 initially but I settle it in around 45 once I've used it a few times.  I keep most of our newmans in the 30-40 range, depending on mesh count. I've gotten 156's up to 60 newtons, 110's up to 55 newtons but I don't keep them that high, it's too much work for only a little return.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Re: Screen tension - does 5 Newton’s make a big difference
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 09:01:16 AM »
I think there is a huge difference between 15-20 newtons but not so much between 35-40.  But I agree with getting the mesh up to the recommended level set by the manufacturer.  I went from static alums to shurloc ez's and newman rollers so I went from 15 newtons to 30-60 right away and I noticed a huge difference in quality and most importantly, setup times.  I take our 205N mesh up to 55-60 initially but I settle it in around 45 once I've used it a few times.  I keep most of our newmans in the 30-40 range, depending on mesh count. I've gotten 156's up to 60 newtons, 110's up to 55 newtons but I don't keep them that high, it's too much work for only a little return.
So you would say the shurlock ez panels are worth the cost and  getting them up to and over 40 is pretty  standard?
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 09:22:20 AM »
The shurloc ez's won't settle at that high of tension, they'll be in the mid to low 30's once work hardened.  That is still a good level to be at when you are used to printing with low tension statics.  I think the shurlocs are worth it, but I prefer the newmans when it's all said and done.  I'd sell all our shurloc ez's if I could replace them with newman rollers, but they are a huge part of our business and they do a great job.  They are very low maintenance compared to newmans but I still think the newmans are worth it in the long run.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Re: Screen tension - does 5 Newton’s make a big difference
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 09:32:01 AM »
The shurloc ez's won't settle at that high of tension, they'll be in the mid to low 30's once work hardened.  That is still a good level to be at when you are used to printing with low tension statics.  I think the shurlocs are worth it, but I prefer the newmans when it's all said and done.  I'd sell all our shurloc ez's if I could replace them with newman rollers, but they are a huge part of our business and they do a great job.  They are very low maintenance compared to newmans but I still think the newmans are worth it in the long run.
So do You use the Newman panels or bulk mesh on Your rollers? I

RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »
I've used the panels and bolt, but right now I'm just using the bolt mesh.  It's so much cheaper but it does take a lot longer to stretch.  I can do a shurloc panel newman in a minute or so, up to the initial tension, but it takes me 8-10 minutes to get the bolt mesh up to the initial tension, sometimes longer if I run into problems.  If I were stretching a bunch of screens that difference in time would be considered, but I'm only doing a few screens a week so it's not as big of a deal.  I can have a roller frame with bolt mesh ready to go for $5 but a shurloc is $18 for the same mesh count.  That's a huge difference to me right now, especially with how many screens that have busted over the past year.