Author Topic: Would like a higher quality image preview for DCS2. How do I get that?  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Hello all, I'd like a higher quality image preview for DCS2. How do I get that?  Is it possible?

Currently, I occasionally save as DCS2 and it can only give me the low poor quality image preview. You can't add type or do any intricate additional work to that (in vector) like if you were to place each one individually and a psd, eps, tif, or jpg.

Can you get a higher quality DCS2 review?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
I do not think that it is possible.
Did you try placing in Illustrator and exporting a PDF?

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
Are you importing to AI or CDR?

In AI CS5 they look good. I remember in older versions, they look choppy, but I haven't seen that problem for a while. Always thought it was my settings:

Preview: 8 Bits/Pix
DCS: Single File, Color Comp (72 ppi)
Encoding: ASCII

... but I just tried fiddling with my settings to get a worse-looking file and wasn't able to do it.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Thanks DK,  but no.  I'm trying t print straight out of Illy by way of a DCS2 file. (One file with all colors embedded into the image).

Z,  I use the same settings but now that you mention it, ::)   I'm using my old Mac Mini for now and am using CS2. I have CS5 on my old PC that will soon be my NEW PC.  The DCS2 preview looks to be 72 cut in half to 36ppi. (or worse) LOL.

But even at 72ppi,  Shouldn't it still be better?   I mean what if you need to add things to it in vector that need tight alignment? It would be guess work.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
Hmm, may be a version thing.

You could do what I used to do...

Duplicate, merge spots and and save your DCSII file as a PSD or TIFF. Place that into your AI document, work with it, then when you're ready to print, select it, go to PLACE and click the "replace" button to load the DCSII file where the PSD or TIFF was. Then change your spot colors in the vector work to match the ones imported with the DCSII.

Extra steps, I know, but things will be in the right places.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Dan, leave the RGB channels at the top of the Photoshop Channels pallet, then export to DCS 2. That (the pretty RGB image) will display in Illy, while the spot colors will come into your color pallet, which you already know of course...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
THanks Z and Sbrem,

Here was the issue.  It was not how I was saving my Photoshop DCS2 settings, but rather it was my preferences in Illy.

Behold and beware.  Do NOT have this selected in your Illustrator preferences. LOL.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
I've also just left it as a PS file, with the RGB at the top, the separation channels underneath, and just "Place" in Illy. Sometimes, that doesn't work out, though I'm not sure why, I'm usually too busy to figure it out and go back to DCS... I always had to work on faith before that...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Whats cool about the newer Adobe products is that you can create a psd file (art) and save it (merged) as one layer, but not flattened, that had fade outs to the background (nothing) and save them as psd's and drop them into Illy. Change out the background colors as needed. Remember the old WHITE BACKGROUND issues on those older jobs and having to create clipping mask. GONE!

We do/did vector layouts this way with all the color specs and such.