Author Topic: Question about curing waterbased ink  (Read 3482 times)

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

Question about curing waterbased ink
« on: April 22, 2012, 09:21:08 AM »
I am in the middle of printing 1,200 golf towels with waterbased ink. I am using Uni-dye (from Union ink) waterbased ink with a catalyst. The catalyst mixture is 2% per volume. I do not have the proper dryer to cure the towels so I need to to use the catalyst to complete the curring after the towels exit my dryer (I have an 8ft IR dryer set at 280 to 300 for the towels to evaporate the water and make dry to the touch). I am told the cure time for the catalyst is 72 hrs, so I can't do a wash test until 72 hrs (which would be tuesday morning at 10am).

If by some chance the wash test fails what would be my options to cure the golf towels properly?

I do have access to a heat press if that is an option.

Could I slap them on the heat press for 30 seconds at a time at a certain temp? Do I put them thru the dryer again??

I have to have these golf towels cured and shipped off and be in the clients hand May 1st. So I have a small window from tuesday 10am (4-24) until May 1st.

Of course if the wash test passes I'm good and no further curing required. I'm just on edge with th curing issue and my timeline..its all coming down to the wire.

Any info will be appreciated.
Mark

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Question about curing waterbased ink
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 09:37:43 AM »
Initially, I was going to relate my experience forty years ago printing yardage with water based inks (no catalyst) and drying/curing with a hand iron.

However, the Unidye with catalyst does not seem to require as long as you say here, according to the Tech sheet from Union.

I don't think that you should have any trouble with what you are doing, but in a perfect world, you would run just a few, and test.

DRYING AND CURING:

Prints may set sufficiently for light stacking immediately after printing. Curing for good washability can be accomplished by any one of the following methods:

By adding Catalyst UNDY-9120 (2% or 2 parts to 100 parts color or as indicated on the catalyst container). Catalyzed Inks will air-cure within 24 hours for optimum wash resistance. Pot life of ink/catalyst mixture is 48 hours after mixing.
Without the addition of catalyst and without heat, washability will improve with aging. Fair washability will be achieved after 7 days. Washability will be good after 14 days and excellent after 28 days.
Excellent washability can also be obtained immediately without the addition of catalyst when cured at 250-325F (121-162C) for 3-5 minutes.
By adding Catalyst UNDY-9120 and conveyor drying at very low temperatures ranging from 100-123F (38-52C), excellent washability can be achieved in 24 hours.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 12:05:15 PM »
thank you for the response. My dryer is 8 ft long and i have it slow BUT they are not in there for 3 minutes ya know? I hit it with the temp gun and its getting up to 280 range. I will do a wash test tonight then....you have put my mind at ease somewhat..thank you!
Mark

Offline BorisB

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 12:33:45 PM »
thank you for the response. My dryer is 8 ft long and i have it slow BUT they are not in there for 3 minutes ya know? I hit it with the temp gun and its getting up to 280 range. I will do a wash test tonight then....you have put my mind at ease somewhat..thank you!

do wash test not earlier than 72 hours after printing. Catalyst takes time. If it still fails try resending them through dryer.  The first time you cured them ink was wet and big part of time/energy spent evaporating water from ink and towels. When you repeat curing ink will be dry and will reach needed temp very quickly.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 12:57:34 PM »
Where does the 72 hours come from? Why is this so different than the instructions and guidelines from Union itself?

Have you found their instructions to be wrong?

Myself, I'd check at least one at 24 hours, and then, if it seems okay, know for a fact that in 72 it could only be better.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline LuxInks

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 01:14:35 PM »
Hey Mark. If time permits, I would recommend another trip through the dryer. Just to be on the same side. I haven't used the Union system with the catalyst, but like I said if you have the time, another trip through the dryer to set that ink would be your safest bet. Maybe an additional 4 hours of work depending on your dryer size and the towel size.
Good order! Good luck,
Paul
www.luxinks.com
www.facebook.com/luxinks www.twitter.com/luxinks  Lux Inks 18900 Beach Blvd. Suite 110 Huntington Beach Calif. 92648 (949) 200.2923 
custom screen printing,contract screen printing,water base printing,discharge printing,flock,foil,apparel finishing,t-shirt printing

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 01:18:19 PM »
Where does the 72 hours come from? Why is this so different than the instructions and guidelines from Union itself?

Have you found their instructions to be wrong?

Myself, I'd check at least one at 24 hours, and then, if it seems okay, know for a fact that in 72 it could only be better.

I spoke with Jay at Union ink....he said its a 72 hr cure time for the Catalyst...wait 3 days before wash test was the instruction i got.

and the towel size is 11"x18"...and I have an 8ft IR dryer.
Mark

Offline LuxInks

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 01:26:39 PM »
Mark. Those towels are mall enough to send through twice easily. Do you have some help or by yourself?
www.luxinks.com
www.facebook.com/luxinks www.twitter.com/luxinks  Lux Inks 18900 Beach Blvd. Suite 110 Huntington Beach Calif. 92648 (949) 200.2923 
custom screen printing,contract screen printing,water base printing,discharge printing,flock,foil,apparel finishing,t-shirt printing

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 08:59:52 AM »
Mark. Those towels are mall enough to send through twice easily. Do you have some help or by yourself?

all by myself..it's killing me...i have 156 left to do. water base is on golf towels in BRUTAL!
Mark