Author Topic: mesh protectors  (Read 1788 times)

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
mesh protectors
« on: April 26, 2012, 07:11:50 PM »
we have been messing around with different methods of protecting mesh on roller frames. after about 2 months use we find Gorilla tape really holds up to reclaim and pressure wash.
note we do not dip tank, we reclaim with stripee doo and de ink with greenway and de grease with dawn and a mix of other fine chemicals.
so far the tape is holding on like iron.
we split the tape lengthwise and slap it on a clean screen.
As I said so far it looks like a winner.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: mesh protectors
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 08:03:35 PM »
FYI -it holds up really well in a dip tank and power washer.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 08:33:28 PM »
How many standard size frames can do with one roll?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 10:01:22 PM »
Polyken 221 chemical/solvent resistant white tape.  I bought a roll of the gorilla tape and it's got a good bite to it, it just doesn't have the tough skin like the polyken. It's tough, but not enough to make me feel comfortable using it. I'd rather y'all try it out and let me know how long it lasts.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 07:20:32 AM »
Don't these tapes leave a ton of adhesive on the frames when you have to take them off?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 07:23:49 AM »
so far -about 15 wash cycles. . it was a "hey, run to Ace Hardware, grab anything on the shelf, hurry". . .so far it really works.

unless you have a new hire cleaning screens that accidentally pops 3 banging them around. And I just stretched them too. . .

I just removed the tape from these 3 and nothing stuck to the frame, fast like a bandaid.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 09:02:28 AM »
How many standard size frames can do with one roll?

have no idea but we split the tape down the middle so the roll printed length (we never looked at how much is on the roll) is doubled with this method.
More important our mesh panels are about $9.00 ea  if I recall correctly.

The Gorilla tape is @ $9.00 a roll pretty much a no brainer.
Alan mentioned that the tape didn't seem to have the tough skin like the polyken tape. All i can say is Gorilla tape is about 5X more bullet proof that typical real duct tape. the Gorilla crap is 50% adhesive and 50% brick thick cloth it stands up to our abuse which is saying something . we haven't tried or had to remove any yet, that may be another story.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 10:05:47 AM »
Sounds like something to try out--although Polyken kicks the crap out of regular duct tape as well.
I've been using Polyken for many years, and it holds up to all but the dumbest screen handling--at closer to twenty bucks a roll.  Comes off clean as long as it's not cold.

Even if you use tapes that do leave a residue--a little press wash on a scotch pad takes it off in less time than cleaning the channels takes....