Author Topic: Shurloc Ez Frames  (Read 4380 times)

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Shurloc Ez Frames
« on: April 27, 2012, 07:17:50 PM »
Just wondering what your opinions are on the shurloc frames as opposed to Newman Roller frames.  In the last year, I've purchased 24 shurloc frames ready to assemble and 24 conversion kits.  Myself, I like the frames ready to assemble, but I'm not so happy with the conversion kits due to how thick it makes the frame itself.  The 110 mesh stretched to 40 newtons and has settled after approximately 50 jobs to 32 newtons which I consider acceptable.  The 156 mesh stretched to 38 newtons and has settled at 30.  However, the 230 and 305 mesh stretched to 28 and has settled at 23.  All of these frames were stretched the same day about 11 months ago.

I guess what I'm trying to ask after all of that is, would it be worth moving to Newmans?  Would it increase ink lay down and quality of the print that much to justify the initial investment?   I figured some of you seasoned veterans could help me out with this one.

Thanks, Doug
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:33:05 PM by ShirtShackandMore »
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Shurloc Ez Frames
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 08:43:34 PM »
Just wondering what your opinions are on the shurloc frames as opposed to Newman Roller frames.  In the last year, I've purchased 24 shurloc frames ready to assemble and 24 conversion kits.  Myself, I like the frames ready to assemble, but I'm not so happy with the conversion kits due to how thick it makes the frame itself.  The 110 mesh stretched to 40 newtons and has settled after approximately 50 jobs to 32 newtons which I consider acceptable.  The 156 mesh stretched to 38 newtons and has settled at 30.  However, the 230 and 305 mesh stretched to 28 and has settled at 23.  All of these frames were stretched the same day about 11 months ago.

I guess what I'm trying to ask after all of that is, would it be worth moving to Newmans?  Would it increase ink lay down and quality of the print that much to justify the initial investment?   I figured some of you seasoned veterans help me out with this one.

Thanks, Doug

I have thought about the same issues and am curious to hear too!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 10:17:21 PM »
What kind of mesh are you stretching onto those EZs Doug?

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 08:38:55 AM »

[/quote]

Mostly Saati mesh for the 110, 156, 230, and 305's.  I have about 5 150's of the muramaki mesh.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »
I don't have any problem with statics, or frames resembling them, but I feel I'd  have to have a seriously massive stock of them to be able to match up multicolor jobs like I do with less than a hundred NRF's.   --Unless their QC is to the point where they all stabilize at the same tension per mesh type, which would make them pretty unusually sweet.  Any of you guys running EZ's have numbers on where they stabilize/how consistent they are panel-to-panel?

The only thing that strikes me functionally about the EZ frames would be matching tension on process or other high-tolerance jobs.  I love the fact I can tweak my rollers to get within a newton of each other, and I know they will register properly.
I know some people have issues getting into doing bolt mesh on rollers--there is a bit of a learning curve, but being able to stretch a frame for five bucks (or less) and a bit of labor is great IMO. 

If you're not having registration issues, and you can hold good tensions on what you're using, probably not much reason to change.  The EZ frames certainly look as if they take less time than rollers.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 03:33:14 PM »

Mostly Saati mesh for the 110, 156, 230, and 305's.  I have about 5 150's of the muramaki mesh.
[/quote]

Well, I'd say the answer to your question lies in whether or not the EZ system can take your chosen mesh up to the optimal tension for each particular variety and hold it within your own tolerances once there. 

I don't have numbers for Saati or know what thread diameters you are using but those look like they may be a touch low for standard thread thickness'.  Every mesh has it's sweet spot regarding tension where the openings are nice and square and stress/strain across the screen is balanced.  (fancy terms gleaned from Joe Clark's many enumerations on screen variables)

From what you've recorded, I would probably be alright with EZs running all S mesh provided, like Foo noted, they had each panel dialed.  And they better for the price of those suckers.  I don't think I'd save any time and labor though considering that you need to put each frame in the jig and stretch each side of the frame, let sit, and complete the stretching.  In that time, I could have built a roller frame from bolt mesh while one was on the table tensioning.  That's me though, not everyone likes loading bolt mesh into rollers or is comfortable with and fast at doing it and not everyone has or wants to make the investment in a roller master which is what makes the process efficient and consistent- you build one frame while the other is tensioning. 

Rather than arguing one way or the other I'd say it comes down to how badly you want or need that finer control that only rollers can deliver.  I couldn't really say if the work I put into our screens is called for on most of our print jobs, it probably isn't, but I will say I never have to worry about the technicality of the job in terms of the screen itself.  I can't recall every having moire' in fact.  Any issues with the higher-end work are typically in other areas outside the screen, like my rip/films, my inks, my exposure process, etc.

Some might find that a compromise is in order with statics or EZs for most jobs and rollers for those high mesh, close tolerance runs.  I just hate running multiple frame types so we do it all the same way. 

Happy Saturday folks, hope you all aren't slaving away like me. 

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 06:12:16 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks for the insight.  I'm not having much trouble with the shurlocs other than the cost of the panels and the PIA of the conversion frames.  I just want to do the best quality work possible and wanted to make sure my choice of frames wasn't keeping me from doing better than I am.  Thanks again.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 07:38:41 PM »
My opinion is, if you want to do your best work, go to retensionables. Just saying.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 07:45:14 PM »
for what it's worth, ive gone from statics, to panel frames and now i'm changing everything over to M3s. I wish I started with them, I'd have a nice collection, instead I've got a shop full of panel frames and a slowly growing collection of rollers. I quit messing around with "seems simple and cheap" type of things and our prints are 1k x better. It took a lot of time, money and aggravation for me to realize saving a buck on a screen is foolish -when you are a SCREEN printer, it's the most important part of the equation. It's a piece of equipment, one that I can control and eliminate from my problem solving when there is an issue. .I avoided rollers for so long due to cost and the dreaded learning curve, I was more afraid of them than anything. . .but they are easier than you'd think with the proper tools. . .but that's just my past experience . . .
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 08:03:55 PM »
Worst part of rollers is the maintenance to take full advantage, but there's nothin' like pulling out a nice tight screen to coat with emulsion and for next to no off-contact in your setup. The convenience of being able to re-mesh quickly after busting a screen is a plus, too.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 08:15:54 PM »
I worked in a large shop for 14 years and recently opened my own place.  All I knew were M3s, but when I opened my own place I couldnt afford them so I thought I would try statics.  Guess what,  I PROBABLY WOULD NEVER GO BACK TO ROLLERS AGAIN!  THAT SIMPLE!  I was used to doing 12 to 14 color sim process jobs on rollers and I can do it just as easy on statics.  They are easier to clean, last longer, and I dont have to remesh them.  Some people are gonna disagree and I understand, this is my opinion and have TONS of experience with both.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline jesterapparel

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 08:41:52 PM »
My opinion is, if you want to do your best work, go to retensionables. Just saying.
I heard there was some fool close to you that uses easy fames. :-*

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 10:14:24 PM »
I worked in a large shop for 14 years and recently opened my own place.  All I knew were M3s, but when I opened my own place I couldnt afford them so I thought I would try statics.  Guess what,  I PROBABLY WOULD NEVER GO BACK TO ROLLERS AGAIN!  THAT SIMPLE!  I was used to doing 12 to 14 color sim process jobs on rollers and I can do it just as easy on statics.  They are easier to clean, last longer, and I dont have to remesh them.  Some people are gonna disagree and I understand, this is my opinion and have TONS of experience with both.

I've got a good bit of experience with both and I have the exact opposite opinion, but that's what is great about screen printing. I don't know how one could print with newmans that were properly stretched then go to statics and like them, but oh well, I'd quit before I went back to low tension screens. 

I've got about 60 EZ frames in production and most of them are starting their 3rd year, some are on their 2nd year so I know them well. I think they are great, but they are not as good as properly used Newman rollers.  They will be good for that shop that wants something more that statics can't provide but don't want to fully commit to the effort that rollers have to have to work to their potential. I'll write more on the EZ's later, right now I'm typing all this on my iPhone while traveling back from Dallas. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 09:51:28 AM »
This is a "there is no one answer" thread. I'm in a different niche than most. I do mostly retail and catalog a butt load of screens. Most of my designs are 6 and seven color sim process. I can not afford to catalog rollers or easy frames in my line of work. Statics work well for what I do. Having said that, I do have about 40 easy frames that I use for work that are "one timers"  I really like them.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 10:07:43 AM »

Not going to disagree at all--seems like a lot of people (especially those short on time) are better off paying a little more to get good statics and keep them properly remeshed.    I should have mentioned, I have just as many statics as rollers, myself, and I don't have a problem with reasonably high-tolerance jobs with them--and they are easier to clean and prep for mesh than rollers, for sure.

The 'last longer' comment is really interesting to me though--I've never heard of anyone getting more useful life out of a static than a roller.
Or maybe it's like paraphrasing the old smoking adage--rollers take twenty jobs off the life of your screen--the crappy ones at the end?    :)