Author Topic: You know you are getting old when....  (Read 2512 times)

Offline bj

• !!!
You know you are getting old when....
« on: May 04, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
I picked up something this morning and hurt my back.  OMG-mid back pain.  It hurts the most to sit, and of course I sit when I digitize so long day for me.... :'(

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: You know you are getting old when....
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 05:35:38 PM »
you'll really be old when you can't remember the first time you said "You know you're getting old..." You have a ways to go yet...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 05:39:44 PM »
For some of us, it first starts when the cute checkout girl calls us "sir"

It really hits home when only a few years later she starts automatically giving the senior discount.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 09:45:33 PM »
I feel your pain. Literally. I've been to the chiropractor twice this week. I am very sceptical about them but I am doing much better.  Stretching as well as staying active even when it hurts helps. Just don't over do it.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 10:43:04 PM »
Chiropractors are better than a lot of folks think. 

Even some MDs are now referring patients them them when once they were treated like chicken wringing witch doctors.

Always better for treatments over drugs to mask the pain, IMHO.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 01:02:53 PM »
My chiropractor saved my back for me about 20 or so years ago, I trusted him completely. I hated that he moved a few years later, but frankly, my back has been fine (as long as I'm not too stupid) since. No surgery, and no pain. A chiropractor will send you to an MD or PT if they can't help you, but not necessarily the other way around. At the time I went to him, I had to be carried in, and I walked out. 20 minutes later I was dying again, but they can't straighten you out in one visit, it takes time to get the back in the right place, hence the repeated visits. On the very rare occasion that I get a little pain, I can lie on a floor, on my back, with the knees bent so the feet are flat on the floor, and within 5 minutes, the pain is gone. Sounds a tad bizarre I know, but it works, so... good luck Dan and BJ.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 07:46:23 PM »
my family is old school Italian, bada bing, connoli, the whole 9 yards.
Growing up the term chiropracter ment literally witch doctor, hey it is a very small blu collar town.
About 15 years ago these folks moved into a large empty campus here  http://www.nycc.edu/

Today these doctors and students are respected and ofter seen. Ther are firstly darn near doctors then enter into the college for post graduate work. By the way the tuition is brutal.

About 6 months ago i had a freaking killer pain in my back and left leg. got so I could barely move let alone work.
Called the clinic got a back bender appointment was treated by the head bone bender and a grad student just about to start private practice.
SAVED MY FREAKING LIFE........this medical thing called chiropractic medicine is for real......... students can double up on
 Acupuncture, Oriental Medicine, Applied Clinical Nutrition or Human Anatomy & Physiology Instruction

All highly respected and often visited...never thought I would see voo-doo medicine be soo popular in my little town of 9,000 souls.
Times and mind do change.

mooseman

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 07:52:02 PM by mooseman »
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 09:48:39 AM »
I had tore up both my knees was scheduled for surgery on the right and then the left, I had the right one done and my chiropractor suggested I do acupuncture on both the to relieve the pain and swelling, I had 4 sessions on both, The right one healed, according, to my  orthopedic surgeon, amazingly fast, the left one has given me way less trouble and I never went for the surgery on it. Chiropractors if you find a good one are awesome!!!.  Doctors are too fast to give you pain killers, they just slow everything down prolonging the healing and causing more issues than they are worth with all the side affects. Ask about acupuncture it will relax your muscles like nothing else its unreal.   
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 11:33:22 AM »
Both my wife and dog get regular acupuncture treatments. It doesn't heal any of their joint problems, but reduces the arthritic effects.

When my wife could afford it, (when the insurance company of the driver who hit her was reimbursing), she saw an osteopath for her back, and said that it was great, even better than a chiropractor.
Now, that's part of the acupuncture treatments as well.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 11:44:12 AM »
I'm curious.

Can we hear the dog's opinion?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 12:17:23 PM »
For that, we have to rely upon our observation of his (or in the case of another one, her) actions, like the specific path they may take to navigate a possibly pain-causing passage.
Actually, plain old careful observation of one's pet seems an often lacking ability of many owners we encounter. Since the animals can't speak up, interpretation of their actions and mannerisms becomes paramount.

You may also find it interesting that our non-contact thermometer gets use monitoring some trouble spots, especially an elbow that has had a bone infection in the past.

And this is really on topic from the original post, as our boy is certainly in the twilight (if not middle of the night) of his stay with us.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:16:02 PM by Frog »

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 08:59:58 PM »
Both my wife and dog get regular acupuncture treatments. It doesn't heal any of their joint problems, but reduces the arthritic effects.

When my wife could afford it, (when the insurance company of the driver who hit her was reimbursing), she saw an osteopath for her back, and said that it was great, even better than a chiropractor.
Now, that's part of the acupuncture treatments as well.

My understanding is that an osteopath is sort of a blend of MD and chiropractor. Anyhoo, the only encounter I've had with an osteopath was when I used to get these wicked headaches on my left temple. Got to where they'd last a couple of days, and when they started to subside, my energy vanished and I'd damn near crash exhausted. Went to the guy on the recommendation of a colleague of my wife. The guy had me lay on the table face up, sort of holding my head in his hands loosely making sure it wasn't tensed up, then gave it a sharp pull. I could hear bones cracking in my neck. Result, I've never had another one of those headaches. He said the ears on the vertebrae were sort of jammed up against and across each other.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 10:12:30 PM »
For that, we have to rely upon our observation of his (or in the case of another one, her) actions, like the specific path they may take to navigate a possibly pain-causing passage.
Actually, plain old careful observation of one's pet seems an often lacking ability of many owners we encounter. Since the animals can't speak up, interpretation of their actions and mannerisms becomes paramount.

You may also find it interesting that our non-contact thermometer gets use monitoring some trouble spots, especially an elbow that has had a bone infection in the past.

And this is really on topic from the original post, as our boy is certainly in the twilight (if not middle of the night) of his stay with us.

A simple "woof" would have sufficed....  :D

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 10:59:40 PM »
Well on that point, he is barking right now! Must be a critter in the TV screen.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
It's funny, my wife knows how skeptical I am of alternative medicine.  She knows i am not of a fan of some chiropractors.  We also have a school for them here, so they are EVERYWHERE.

That being said, I really dislike chiropractors that claim to be able to cure anything.  Seriously, a cold?  I don't buy that.  But back and joint problems I have no doubt that most do a great job.  My wife wanted to see if they could do anything for my daughters heart.  I put a stop to that sh!t real quick.

And I actually also believe acupuncture is a great alternative for many things.  I think the asian cultures have a great understanding of the human body.

The real problem comes with most, and I do say most homeopathy remedies.  They are $8 for a vial of sugar pills that have never been proven to work any better than the placebo effect.  Some things labeled homeopathy are actually quite potent, others are watered down so far that none of the original molecules of the medicine exist anymore.

I am one of those people that are very skeptical and I do my research on things before dropping cash on something.