Author Topic: Best Discharge for pantone matching?  (Read 2497 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Best Discharge for pantone matching?
« on: May 05, 2012, 01:34:58 PM »
We currently use Matsui Discharge, and it takes FOREVER to get a correct pantone. It's hard to get a gauge on how much pigment is actually needed.

Is there a discharge that is easier to mix, and match to pantones?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Best Discharge for pantone matching?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 02:17:47 PM »
X2 on the sericol, I matched my first color the other day on the first try.  It wasn't something that had to be perfect, but we nailed it.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 03:57:07 PM »
Of those who are matching,  are they still matched once gone through the dryer? I've seen an issue of this often. Reds are very thin and can be overpowered or even washed out.  Here is an example. I think these are Matsui inks.  My red was pms 032 red and is more of a Orange red. Good for blending but this was too weak. Seemed to need a more opaque red or an additional screen for the more red area.

Even what really was intended to be "yellow orange" came out more yellow. Looks good if you haven't seen the original art. I needed to see a more true red in the art in some places. Custy loved them but I was wanting it to me more accurate. If I were printing it here, I'd of revised it. Thats the stuff you can't do with separating for others. You have to rely on getting it right the first time and no room for revisions (most times).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 04:09:33 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 04:13:54 PM »
We match our pantones to the outcome at the end of the dryer, to make sure it's accurate. I've never thought of washing them and making sure the colors stay. although i don't think i've ever had the problem of the colors changing in the wash. Maybe dulling slightly.
Night Owls

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 01:07:06 AM »
So sericol ehhhh?

Alan, can i get this in texas or do i order direct from sericol?
Night Owls

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 01:30:12 AM »
Ordering direct would be best if you want to purchase the complete system otherwise Atlas Screen stocks it.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 08:03:22 AM »
So sericol ehhhh?

Alan, can i get this in texas or do i order direct from sericol?

Lee's right there in Houston carries the sericol. I don't know if you buy anything from them but they are good people.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 08:15:48 AM »
Sericol has "starter formulas" for all the Pantone colors. I have them on my desktop and have them printed out in notebook form as well. BTW for some reason, no matter the mfgr, reds are always more vibrant when printed last and are more sensitive to over activation.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 01:30:01 PM »
It's all about the pigment....  "Over adding" pigment will help with the sensitivity for color change.

Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.