Author Topic: Screen Tension...?  (Read 3034 times)

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
Screen Tension...?
« on: May 06, 2012, 11:10:06 PM »
We recently had an issue with our restretches... Hate to admit it, but a good customer of ours called one day saying that the screens he just received were only 14 newton’s... :o

We typically stretch a 155 to 30 newton’s; at least I thought we did...??

I always knew our tension meter needed calibration, but I think our guy may have dropped it. The customer that had the issue tested our screens every time he got a batch and was very happy. He claimed around 27 newton’s on a 155..??

So it takes 7 - 10 business days to get our meter calibrated... ???

That won’t work, we have 200 screens to do, and we are getting backed up. :-[

So we bought a new one shipped in NDA... Gonna get the old one calibrated for a backup. ;)

I go to test the new meter and I can’t hit 30 newton’s without popping the screen??

Now I think both of our meters are out of whack (Our old one, and the customers)??

Maybe he is expecting something that isn’t possible on the first stretch??

I pondered this conundrum over the weekend, and came up with a solution  ;D

I modified our stretcher (M&R Max Newton)...

Can’t say what I did  :P, but it involved a grinder, A file, A chop saw, and some other stuff... ;D

At the end of it I can hit 40+ newton’s on a 155... (On the first stretch, with a calibrated meter)

My question is...

How high should we go?

Using 155 standard mesh as an example...

I don’t want frames popping on UPS.

I was thinking 30 newton’s...?

A lil less for higher mesh, same for 110s...

What yall think?

Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Screen Tension...?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 11:14:37 PM »
I was just glad your 'fix' did not require stuffed dolls and chickens.  :D
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 11:35:22 PM »
I was just glad your 'fix' did not require stuffed dolls and chickens.  :D

Who says it didn’t... That is why I made the list so short...

I can’t give up all of my secrets  :P

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:39:55 AM »
LOL. 

I'm not a real good source for your question and I'm sure many will weigh in tomorrow.

I can get my 160 mesh Newmans up to 30 and am comfortable with that...for the mesh I'm using. 

I would "think", if you can ship out statics at 30 newtons and the customer were to test at 27, he "should" be ecstatic.  I know I would have been.  My statics were more in the 14-17 range.  Only found that out after I got a meter.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 07:59:11 AM »
I'd take them up to 30-35 and hope they make it through UPS shipping. I think anyone using statics would be very happy if their screens work hardened around 22-28 newtons.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 08:14:41 AM »
i agree with Alan..anything mid 20's for statics is a great place to be work harded at...

I would also do some testing at how well they "travel" through the shipping systems....just to see what will and will not make it

sam

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 08:53:09 AM »
We recently had an issue with our restretches... Hate to admit it, but a good customer of ours called one day saying that the screens he just received were only 14 newton’s... :o

Had a same issue 2 weeks ago. Returned all screens to the manufacturer.
I would be happy is I could have them in low 20's. I do not do much of advanced stuff, but printing part is much easier with a nice screens.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 09:25:47 AM »
Brannon, borrow mine dude.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 09:51:52 AM »
IMHO, work hardened at anywhere over twenty N/cm for a single stretch is excellent.    I have more than a couple frames I stage tensioned on a mechanical stretcher up to 45N, they work hardened just over twenty.  Hopefully it's easier with a sweet pneumatic rig like you have.   :)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 10:46:35 AM »
IMHO, work hardened at anywhere over twenty N/cm for a single stretch is excellent.    I have more than a couple frames I stage tensioned on a mechanical stretcher up to 45N, they work hardened just over twenty.  Hopefully it's easier with a sweet pneumatic rig like you have.   :)

I agree I am never impressed with screen tension out of the box what it work hardens at is the key. Stage tensioning is really the only way you will ever get a 20+ work hardened static other wise they will end up in low teens or worse. I have proven this so many times over the years trying all the major screen vendors, as of yet the only decent statics I can get are through a local guy that goes above and beyond for our screens.
"No man is an island"

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 10:50:26 PM »
So next question...

Would it be better if all mesh counts were stretched to the same tension?

I can obviously pull a 110 - 155 to a much higher tension than I can a 255 - 305...

So would the screens actually print better at a slightly lower, but more similar tension level from 110 to 305...??  :o

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 08:10:29 AM »
i think you should stretch them high as possible without them busting, they will lose tension.  Everybody will tell u something different.  I know for a fact that as long as you are printing say 305 mesh, all with similar tension, you can get great results.  I did some beta testing for a software seperation company years ago who gave me a large list of things I had to do to be a beta tester.  there major request was high newton roller frames.  Guess what,  I printed their 8 color sim process job on 305s with 14 newtons and sent them the sample.  They called and said it looked better than any they had ever seen, how did I do it?  NOt saying I want mine at 14 newtons, just sayin it will work.  (dont get it twisted homie! mine better be tight.)
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 08:28:26 AM »
I would check with the mesh manufacturer.  They will be able to tell you the ideal tensions for each different mesh

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 08:38:15 AM »
I would check with the mesh manufacturer.  They will be able to tell you the ideal tensions for each different mesh
That is actually what my rep suggested... Similar instead of maxed out...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 09:01:55 AM »
there is a different recommended tension for 110's vs 305's vs 230's and so on.  They should have a chart of what they recommend.