Author Topic: Iron on transfers (home iron)  (Read 2644 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Iron on transfers (home iron)
« on: May 08, 2012, 02:49:23 PM »
I have a customer that wants 500 heat transfers to give to kids to take home and iron on. Transfer Express and F&M both told me that their transfers require a commercial heat press. So, if we screen them outselves, it's going to be a 2 color, and I'll quickly flash the first color, then print the second, add the glue, zip through the dryer, blah, blah, blah. Sound right to youse guys? Any tips on producing for a home iron? Thanks of course

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Iron on transfers (home iron)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 03:05:31 PM »
Just include a disclaimer, because I have seen very varied results with more than one type of transfer, both digital and plastisol, even when home iron instructions were provided by the manufacturer (or re-seller).
Perhaps, you need to do a little experimenting, and then at least include guidelines that you have seen work. I have applied plastisol cold peel with a home iron, but have seen others fail.

The biggest problem I see is providing even heat and even pressure over an area bigger than the iron. Also, I don't usually see temps on irons, but rather just various cloth references.
I think that cotton is supposed to be at 400 or so, so a setting below that would be needed.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 03:12:24 PM »
I would go for the cotton setting Andy, because of the lack of even pressure. I guess I'll print something on some transfer paper and bring it home. The wife does iron on with an iron all the time on the paper you can get at Staples, though we've never tried plastisol. Easy enough I guess...

Steve

Offline Im-Magic

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 08:24:18 PM »
Tell them to iron on cotton setting with no steam and put a cloth over the transfer when applying. Press firmly and evenly whilst moving the iron over ther transfer area, also press again after you remove the transfer paper with the cloth over it. If you do this it should work.
Stuart

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 09:16:21 PM »
I would do the transfers and tell them to use tin foil...it disperses that heat more evenly and tell them to do it for a good 5 min before trying to remove the transfer..that way you hope they do it for 3 min...

sam

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 10:42:30 PM »
Do you think the way you are doing it will provide a better result than a commercial vendor?......

I think this is a bad idea....

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 08:25:48 AM »
Some job opportunities are not worth the $$ and associated headaches. What happens when they come back and say ...we used an iron like you said BLAW BLAW BLAW and they still didn't work.

We get customers all the time who tell us how the home iron gig didn't work.
Hell tell them about http://www.whatdoyudu.com/videos/default.aspx?id=3

mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 10:27:07 AM »
Do you think the way you are doing it will provide a better result than a commercial vendor?......

I think this is a bad idea....

Hell no, but the commercial vendors said use a commercial heat press only. I applied my first heat transfer, plastisol, with an iron when I was a kid, before I knew what plastisol was, so I know it can be done. I'll experiment of course. Big disclaimer too if we do it. The other option the customer has is to get embroidered patches that the kids can take home and sew on. Right, that's going to happen, maybe if Grandma does it...

Steve

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 11:20:10 AM »
Actually, that other option (the embroidered patches) has possibilities as well. In our area, some of the Little Leagues hand out a patch with the new jersey.
I can't tell you how many crappy installations I saw when my kid was playing, even down to dangerous safety pins (a paradox of sorts).
I now offer to press them along with names.
You could order the patches with adhesive, and then press them as part of the price. Voila! win win!

The thing about the transfers is yes, they can be done at home, but I can assure you that some won't work.
Just, at the very least, as you said you would, spell it out. Forewarned is forearmed (and those four arm shirts are a bitch to find!)  ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 11:44:18 AM »
...(and those four arm shirts are a bitch to find!)  ;D

Try India for that.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 11:46:32 AM »
Disclaimers are also a bad idea.....If you are not prepared to stand behind something you are selling, do not sell it....