Author Topic: Workhorse Mach spring replacement suggestions  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Workhorse Mach spring replacement suggestions
« on: May 12, 2012, 09:24:24 AM »
My springs on this workhorse are starting to give due to the addition of side clamps and auto size frames some of them really heavy chase frames. I'm trying to figure out how to modify the press to be able hold up these larger frames. Right now I have rubber bungies all over the place but this makes regi adjustments a bitch and after awhile these straps give a little. Can anyone recomend a spring thats the same size but can hold up more weight? There's holes for an additional spring but it looks like the spring has to be smaller.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Workhorse Mach spring replacement suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 12:12:06 PM »
Have you thought of checking with Workhorse?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 12:59:34 PM »
Of course, Workhorse would be my first place to ask about this.

I have to surmise that the second set of holes are there for that very reason. Whether the second spring (or both springs when using two) need to be smaller, I can't say, but knowing Shawn's aversion to paying full OEM prices on hardware, why not look for springs that fit the bill at a hardware supplier? Just get two and try 'em.

btw, I recently added the Spring Safety Covers to my press, and they won't clear two springs, and in fact require the standard springs to be mounted in the inboard set of holes only. Smaller springs may permit the use of both sets as well as the covers.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 01:50:59 PM »
Of course, Workhorse would be my first place to ask about this.

I have to surmise that the second set of holes are there for that very reason. Whether the second spring (or both springs when using two) need to be smaller, I can't say, but knowing Shawn's aversion to paying full OEM prices on hardware, why not look for springs that fit the bill at a hardware supplier? Just get two and try 'em.

btw, I recently added the Spring Safety Covers to my press, and they won't clear two springs, and in fact require the standard springs to be mounted in the inboard set of holes only. Smaller springs may permit the use of both sets as well as the covers.

Indeed I also have those covers (surprised at the age of this press) , and it does leave less than desired room for a second set of standard size springs.  I may need to do away with the covers and wrap the springs instead.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 01:53:46 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 08:29:25 PM »
a few of our springs and c clips let go, one guy got nailed in the nuts. . .they take off like a rocket. . .we just go to Ace Hardware and get some replacements.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 08:49:05 PM »
I got hit in the shoulder once.  it hurts, I am thankful it wasn't in the face.

Can you put the mesh sleeves on the springs?  An extra set of springs would go a long way.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 09:52:03 PM »
Homer, someone in your shop taking a hit in the nuts isn't too surprising for some reason...

I bet getting crafty with some duck tape I could make some spring covers.

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 08:46:41 AM »
trampoline (?) springs in the middle of the two that exist. May have to engineer it to work but it will work and they are readily available. GL

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 10:56:54 AM »
I just had a spring on my workhorse break, sucker popped like a 22 rifle kinda scary...Shwan my press has extra holes for springs allso and they are all the same size, I just bought about 4 just to have extras.  I think they are about 6 bucks a pc..

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 11:13:23 AM »
a lot of times you can find those springs at an old hardware store.