Author Topic: WB/Discharge Roll Call  (Read 5275 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
WB/Discharge Roll Call
« on: May 15, 2012, 10:10:11 PM »
If you had to start all over, which would you choose?

We have our new setup and we're ready to get wet and I'm trying to narrow down our selection for the new ink system.  I would prefer to have a singular system for wb and discharge but I'm open.  Here's the serious contenders I'm aware of, I know there are others like jantex, etc., but these are the ones I've narrowed down to, what can we add to this list?

• Sericol Texcharge (hybrid rfu/mix system)
  • CCI Discharge Base/White (standalone, for the moment)
  • Matsui (various bases and pigment system)
  • Wilflex Oasis (what's going on with this now?? used to be magnacolour but who's the new mfg?)
  • Magnacolours (non-ZFS)
  • Rutland WB-99 (various bases and pigment system)

Ideally, a pigment concentrate system that works with various bases wb or discharge would be preferred but not a must. The Sericol RFU/mix concept is very appealing.

Pigment quality is paramount.

Tech support is important though not as critical.

As is the effect of any system on the shop environment while printing.  Now, regarding that, the MSDS sheets for the various systems are absurdly inconsistent and some are practically blank.  So far, I've noted that Sericol and CCI contain white or stoddard solvents in their inks which doesn't sound too appealing in terms of long term exposure (though I wonder if the use of white solvent is what puts these inks over the top, as reported here, compared to others).  Then again, it's not like using formaldehyde, even in a small %, is super appealing either.   Matsui appears to be the only mfg with some sort of overall environmental commitment and was my default choice as their RC inks perform well and are readily available but, if anyone has an opinion here, I'd love to hear it.   

thx in advance.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: WB/Discharge Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 10:23:55 PM »
Don't have to much input but the Matsui and Jantex systems have too many additives and makes it confusing for me anyway. I like the CCI white and the ease of use and the performance of the Sericol system.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 12:03:44 AM »
Sericol here as well. I dont think it gets easier than that system.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 02:15:24 AM »
We use Matsui here at the shop, but we just took the plunge into Sericol...hoping for a better pantone match!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline mjrprint

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 07:51:31 AM »
I am using the Rutland WB-99. Color matching has been pretty easy so far and it is working well. Easy to look up the formulas through their website also. The biggest complaint has been the smell.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 08:23:34 AM »
I don't think you have to worry about any negative impact by the Sericol Texcharge inks.
As a matter of fact the Sericol and the Magnacolor discharge inks are the only ones that are real environmentally friendly and are certified organic.
Check Permaset aqua and Permaset Supercover inks from Australia. Standard wb inks but as well organic and super soft. And the colors are brilliant. They can be used on cotton, mixed cotton polyester, 100% polyester without the need for any additives.

This should answer your concerns regarding the Sericol Texcharge inks
http://www.sacert.org/textiles/newsandfeatures/articleid/2524/fujifilm-inks-first-to-be-approved-by-soil-association-certification

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 08:25:17 AM »
I hate giving advice on products when I haven't used a ton of them that are in the running, but the sericol texcharge is very impressive to me.  That system along with the CCI D White, winner winner chicken dinner.

It should really change the way a manual shop prints.  No more flashing, and flashing, and flashing, and spinning the carousel around 3 and 4 times, just print, spin the screen carousel and print.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 09:17:28 AM »
Its not uncommon that some will find that there are certain colors that you can hit with discharge that cannot be exactly replicated with std plastisols. Mainly due to the absence of fillers.

Offline mjrprint

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 10:25:25 AM »
Where are you guys getting your sericol from. I want to try it out.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 10:32:46 AM »
Sericol........Fujifilms 800-255-4562. Dealers are just going to tack on $$ unless freight makes that make sense. This is the CS # that will point you to your closest Sericol rep

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 12:25:21 PM »
Gathered some more intel and I'm leaning hard toward Sericol now. 

That's interesting by the way that a white solvent ink with a formaldehyde activator is certified organic GOTS, etc...what a world...seems there's a lot I don't know about chemistry or a lot that some groups are banking on people not knowing.  GOTS or no, white solvents and formaldehyde aren't super great items  to have around regarding long term exposure in the workplace but I think proper ventilation and makeup air will resolve the issue and we have good dryer chamber and general ventilation now and the option to do even more so I think I'm okay with it.

Thanks so far to all.  I gathered a little more info on Texcharge:
  • It can be used as regular WB, unactivated.
  • It should work on most light poly blends, unactivated, though wicking may be an issue.
  • Direct sales product ships out of K.C.
  • They mfg the Texcharge RFUs in the states and do not offer a pc system for it or any color booster sort of deal.

Sounds pretty good to me.  This system has been in use for I think it was 20 yrs. now so that's promising as well.

Has anyone hit a wall with the RFU system that can only be overcome with a PC system?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 01:24:04 PM »
With care I can boost Sericol w/ Oasis PC but it's very rare

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 01:44:12 PM »
the atlanta rep is Marvin Foreman.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 10:04:06 PM »
Sericol has "halftone" colors in their lineup. What are these used for?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 10:11:49 PM »
Sericol has "halftone" colors in their lineup. What are these used for?
I just looked at the colors and its blue, red, yellow and black. I wonder if this is their inks for cmyk