Author Topic: I have a new gripe... a growing trend of unmatchable CYMK "spot colors"  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Are you guys getting this as well? More and more, I have designers and artists are coming up with custom colors, fine for digital reproduction, but can't be identified or matched by Pantones.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Andy......Probably doesn't help but Pantone has or used to have an "out of gamut" swatch book depicting colors that cannot be reproduced with CYMK. We used them at Harlequin when we printed process with spot touch plates.
As for your situation it happens all the time. Folks at Nike use to purposely not use Pantone colors, just bits of shoe leather or windbreaker or whatever. Best solution is to find closest Pantone and shade/tint. PCs are best for this.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Kind of like the old days before people would even ask for PMS colors, they just gave you a reference color and it was up to you to match it, for a charge of course. Either way, a charge must be had.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
If you have Illy, you can use it to find you the closes PMS color to the chosen CMYK percentages. It is pretty accurate.
Select the shape, go to edit / edit colors with presets, and then choose which PMS (C, U or whatever else you want).

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
I can use the option of changing the color palette in either Photoshop or DRAW, but neither gave me a very close match this time around.  However, I passed the ball to the client, and had her choose a close Pantone C alternative.

Tony, I am going in the opposite direction (I wasn't very clear in my post) I don't want a special Pantone number for which I don't have a formula anyway.
I'm finding that since so many folks are having their printed material reproduced digitally nowadays, that they are completely bypassing the Pantone step.

For that matter, when I first brought this to their attention, they sent me some Pantone Process numbers, an entirely new and different (to me) system that I had never even experienced  (let alone could mix)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Funny Frog I,ve had people for years come in and just make up there on colors and I have to try and tell them those colors don't exist, unless you want custom colors and that ain't cheap.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
I liked Fred Sanfords favorite color, Champipple. It was his favorite drink as well. Champagne and Ripple.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
I have the shirt.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
OK.......That.....was.....awesome!

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Hahahah.... sweet.  Where'd you get it?  I want one.    :)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Tony, you're probably old enough to remember Champale, a malt beverage, back when Country Club was the biggie, and Colt 45 was just appearing.

Champale, was actually a lot like the dry beers from Japan that started getting some popularity here.

I think that due to Dan this time, this thread has become "dynamic" or at least tangential.
Just one thing to do, and that's have a Montana Mary with my breakfast (that's beer and tomato juice, and was the culprit behind Evel Knevil's
ill-fated Snake River jump concept)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Just one thing to do, and that's have a Montana Mary with my breakfast (that's beer and tomato juice, and was the culprit behind Evel Knevil's
ill-fated Snake River jump concept)

In Nebraska, that concoction is just called "a red one" at the bar and usually was tomato juice and Pabst BR.  I found them to be tasty with the ability to drink more beer than one might usually handle.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Hahahah.... sweet.  Where'd you get it?  I want one.    :)

It was a gift so I don't know.  Sorry.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Here.  This one's cheaper -

http://www.amazon.com/Sanford-Son-Champipple-T-shirt-Brown/dp/B000A5LQZS

hmmm, officially licensed.  Wonder who get the dough.  Fred is long gone.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 05:11:48 PM by screenxpress »