Author Topic: Ink and RIP questions now that I caved and bought an Epson  (Read 5399 times)

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Picked up a used Epson 4000 only on its second set of ink carts so it's in tip top shape.

What inks do you guys run in these beasts?  I know some of you just print with the epson color carts and get the films dark enough...what settings are you using in the driver dialogue to get the darkest print?  Paper type? etc?

For those with all black systems, what ink do you prefer?  Did you buy actual black ink carts and put them in the color slots or did you buy bulk ink and refill the color carts and "reset" the chips?

And finally RIP.  What I'd like to do is be able to print from illustrator, straight to films with only choosing line angle and lpi.  Is that possible witch all RIPS? TIA

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Ink and RIP questions now that I caved and bought an Epson
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 10:45:53 AM »
AccuRIP will do what you want, plus allow you to fill all cartridges with black ink. You can get empty carts and ink from inksupply.com, very reasonable, it's what we use.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 01:24:01 PM »
AccuRIP will do what you want, plus allow you to fill all cartridges with black ink. You can get empty carts and ink from inksupply.com, very reasonable, it's what we use.

Steve

Thanks, I'll download the trial and see how it goes.

Inksupply.com has good pricing on bulk ink, do you just buy the black dye based ink?  I found a set of refillable 270ml carts on ebay for $135 with a chip resetter, not sure if they need to be fancy or just hold ink without leaking.

Offline dsh

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 01:46:16 PM »
"Ditto" for Accurip.

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 01:52:33 PM »
I have accurip and does a fine job.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 02:01:21 PM »
Only thing I'm noticing with Accurip, and it might just be left out, but the all back option in the software doesn't list the 4000 as being supported?  That true?

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 02:06:50 PM »
I run Accurip on my 4000. I also run refillable bulk ink tanks. Two channels on black and the rest clear.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 04:45:26 PM »
I run Accurip on my 4000. I also run refillable bulk ink tanks. Two channels on black and the rest clear.

So you run a black in each bank and the other three tanks are filled with clear?  Does it mix clear in with the black when it prints or is that a cleaner?  Sorry, Epsons are all new to me.

Do you set it up in Accurip specifically for your setup?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 04:53:01 PM »
AccuRIP likes to use black in all carts, but for questions, give them a call and ask for Charlie Facini. He wrote it (I think) and can answer just about any question for you. When we first got it, we were having a network problem, and even though it wasn't his problem, he figured it out for me. That's pretty good service.

steve

and yes, I use the dye based ink. We buy it in pints for $30.00 per

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 07:58:15 PM »

So you run a black in each bank and the other three tanks are filled with clear?  Does it mix clear in with the black when it prints or is that a cleaner?  Sorry, Epsons are all new to me.

Do you set it up in Accurip specifically for your setup?

The clear is in there to keep it moist if you will. I only print through two channels. You can have it print through all or one. I just did not want to fill 8 bulk cartridges with black ink.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 08:11:32 PM »
With dye based ink it should work with one black and GhostScript/View. The beauty of the triple ought series.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 01:31:43 PM »
AccuRIP likes to use black in all carts, but for questions, give them a call and ask for Charlie Facini. He wrote it (I think) and can answer just about any question for you. When we first got it, we were having a network problem, and even though it wasn't his problem, he figured it out for me. That's pretty good service.

steve

Ok trying to narrow down which ink you're using.  Is it this dye based ink?:

http://www.inksupply.com/product-details.cfm?pn=ESC1200PT-K

Thanks!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 10:12:45 AM »
I very strongly suggest giving Film Maker a shot. You can download the trial at cadlink.com. AR is a fine program, but FM does produce cleaner output and has a lot more controls. I think it is cheaper too!

pierre

p.s. AccuInk from Chromaline is what we use with the 4800. Our films are almost twice as dark as before! It is pricey, but considering how little that really ends up being per page it is not even worth mentioning the price!
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 11:00:58 AM »

steve

Thanks!

the label says "D2-PT-K"  (dye, pint, black)

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 11:35:04 AM »

steve

Thanks!

the label says "D2-PT-K"  (dye, pint, black)

Cool, thanks.  Ordered a gallon of black, a funnel, and a maintenance tank from inksupply.

Ordered a set of refillable carts and chip resetter from ebay.

Downloaded a trial of accurip and installed it, thus starting my 14 trial which was stupid because all I can do is run prints with the pigment inks. Which I did for fun, and it was lol worthless.

Film Maker looks nice, the XL  is the only version supporting the 4000 printer and it's $800.

Accurip is $500

Any others I should consider?  Anyone have the Wasatch separations RIP that is $1200?

Don't run a rip and just do what I've been doing by printing any halftone seps from photoshop and spot stuff from illy?