Author Topic: Underlay Question  (Read 3032 times)

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Underlay Question
« on: May 18, 2012, 01:58:37 PM »
I was wondering what type of underlay is preferred for a satin stitch that outlines a filled object? For example if I were to do some large text on a hat that I wanted outlined with a satin stich that was an 1/8 of an inch wide should I use a center and edge run?
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Underlay Question
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 02:10:19 PM »
I'm certainly no expert but if your satin stitch is only 1/8 of an inch wide I'd think a center run should be enough.  The more you do the more it will "stand up" from my understanding, but that is very subtle.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 02:20:14 PM »
Center or contour should be fine.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 02:24:54 PM »
Edge run is good on wider columns if the column is to narrow you risk having the contour underlay peeking out especially on a cap logo. I prefer center run only on a narrow column if I need more stability I will use a zig zag then a center run underlay that really helps with loft and stability.
"No man is an island"

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 02:29:05 PM »
Edge run is good on wider columns if the column is to narrow you risk having the contour underlay peeking out especially on a cap logo. I prefer center run only on a narrow column if I need more stability I will use a zig zag then a center run underlay that really helps with loft and stability.

Thanks guys.

Mike I think thats what I am looking for. It is on a cap and it is a few filled objects with outlines. For caps do you have a satin stitch spacing you like to start out with?
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 04:21:08 PM »
Caps are a pain because of the obvious issues, keep in mind when placing a satin column out line around an object to adjust its placement to compensate for push and pull, I assume you know what i mean by that. On caps registration is trickier so it usually requires manually adjusting for the push and pull and not relying on the auto push pull compensation performed by most softwares.

On caps I like to use a dense zig-zag underlay then a center underlay this way I can use a less than normal density on the satin stitch I find the finish product looks better and helps with registration. On flats I typically use a .3 satin density with a center underlay, on caps I use a .45 satin density with a zig zag and center run underlay.
"No man is an island"

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 04:28:43 PM »
Thanks man. I ran it the way you said except I forgot to change the spacing to .45 and had it at .32. That did the trick. Ill try to post up a pic later.

I can see what you mean about the reg. I tried to picture the movement of the cap in my head when I digitized so that also helped. There is one spot I will compensate for next time. Its not visible to to the eye unless you are using a magnifying glass. Thanks for the replies Mike, Gilligan, and Dennis!
www.inkwerksspd.com

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 04:59:41 PM »
No need to thank me... I'm still tuned into this thread so I can learn a thing or two from Mike. ;)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 05:17:22 PM »
Your .32 density was probably fine and usually will be fine but there there will be the occasional cap that is a major pain and to much density just exasperates it.

I hate satin outlines on caps unless nice and thick if I can get away with it I try to beef it up but some custys are anal and want nice neat narrow columns then you really need to do like you said and imagine the the reg issues while digitizing then perform a test sew or two.
"No man is an island"

Offline evilcaps

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 10:40:43 AM »
if Wilcom I will use .4-.45,  .32 seems a little to much for me, about the underlay  I will do center run only.
If u post a pic of what u r trying to digi we will have a better idea of what to use.

Good luck,
J

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 11:19:27 AM »
The reason I like the zig zag underlay on a cap is if any peeks out it is at a decen enough angle to look like the satin cover stict unlike edge run when that peeks out ugh that looks like crap.  And as Evel said .45 really is a decent density to work with.
"No man is an island"

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 12:37:21 PM »
My issue was that I had accidentally had Tatami set at the stitch. Thats what happens when someone that has no clue how to use Wilcom dives right in. I just missed it. I sewed out a sample yesterday with the right settings and it turned out sweet. I did not snap a pic and the customer snagged the sample. I am going to run more today.

I did use the zig-zag and liked it. I also played around with the edge run and adjusted the settings to bring it closer to the center run stitch. I was going to try that later as well.

I am using ES-65 so it is probably way more than I need to learn on but it came with the machine so I cant complain.
www.inkwerksspd.com

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 12:45:16 PM »
If your ES is legit and you have the dongle number etc. you should be able to register with Wilcom and be able to access their prerecorded training vids they break down the fundamentals pretty well.
"No man is an island"

Offline bj

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 02:44:27 PM »
Not sure if anyone mentioned it but if you are doing text on caps it is better to do the text center out so that the cap isn't just pushing in one direction.  Also, if you have borders around your text it is better to add in a couple more color changes than you would on just a left chest flat run.  For example.  You have a six letter word with a border.  Do three letters starting at center out and then do the border right away.   Then do the next three text then the border.  It helps much better so that the border doesn't go off registration.
Hope that makes sense.  If not always feel free to ask here or email me.  bjbabs24@yahoo.com.  Always here to help.