Author Topic: Emulsion Spicket?  (Read 2439 times)

Offline ScreenPrinter123

Emulsion Spicket?
« on: May 22, 2012, 06:42:21 PM »
Tell me if I'm missing something, but why hasn't anyone created some sort of Spicket-like screw on top for emulsion gallon buckets?  Similar to a liquid detergent funnel neck, would that not be a lot cleaner and easier to manage/ pour into the trough/scoop coater?  Anyone know of anything like this available?

Thanks

Offline Get Shirts

Emulsion Spicket?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 06:57:19 PM »
I'm sure home depot has something that would make pouring easier.  But how would you put the left over emulsion back into the bucket with that on the bucket? 

Offline ScreenPrinter123

Re: Emulsion Spicket?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 07:04:09 PM »
Unscrew and pour back in. Takes that extra step but would be much cleaner I would suspect. Either have to wipe the edge of the bucket when finished pouring into trough, or unscrew the top to pour it back in. I'd take the latter if I could eliminate the prior for sure. That's my take anyways.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 07:19:45 PM »
Unscrew and pour back in. Takes that extra step but would be much cleaner I would suspect. Either have to wipe the edge of the bucket when finished pouring into trough, or unscrew the top to pour it back in. I'd take the latter if I could eliminate the prior for sure. That's my take anyways.
Just poor straight from the bucket and wipe the lip with a paper towel. Simple and clean. If you used a spicket there would be know way to keep it clean and free from debris crusting it up.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 07:23:23 PM »
I think it was covered with the "crusting it up".

Unlike detergent, emulsion dries to a nice hard finish.  Even if you wiped the spigot clean, inside would have emulsion that would dry and possibly break loose on the next pour and mess up your subsequent coating.

Pour from the removed lid, wipe the edge and recap.  IMHO.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 09:47:07 PM »
I've thought about this and the only solution I can come up with is some sort of gasket that floats down along the bucket as you draw out emulsion (via a pump or from the bottom via gravity), leaving no room for air in there and thus no drying up and accumulation of chunks. 

Then, you'd have to rig up some way to so this while being able to stir.  My solution to that is that, going through the floating  gasket, you have a stir stick with a triangular silicone blade that reaches to the bottom and spans half the bucket or it's radius.  On the floating gasket, there is a slit that allows it to move down along the triangular blade. 

A third piece, the top lid, is vapor tight and has some sort of mechanism to allow you to affix the stir blade's handle to an outside stirring grip on the lid without introducing more air.  It would also have a port to allow a little bit of air in (since the emulsion wouldn't flow and the inner gasket wouldn't move down along the bucket without air going in) but moistens that air first.  Theoretically, you could stir it up without introducing excessive air and the tiny bit you did would be wet and vaporize in the bucket while stirring.

All this and you still have no good way to dump it back in...so yeah, just use the bucket.  I need a beer.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 10:21:49 PM »
LOL!!!

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 10:39:17 PM »
Ulano makes an emulsion pump... Works pretty good from what I’ve heard..?? ;)
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 08:10:26 AM »
just use one of these and squirt the rest back in the bucket, card out the scoop coater and you should be nice and clean. If you go to the dollar store, they have water guns that look like a large tube, you draw water in, push the handle and it spits it back out out. same concept. for a buck.

http://www.tandjprintingsupply.com/catalog/product/view/id/240/s/picarelli-ink-pump/category/68/
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 09:54:09 AM »
I can't ever imagine that would be practical but who knows? I've never found them useful for inks.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 10:03:15 AM »
are they messy? I am thinking one for my black and white inks.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 10:19:25 AM »
Yes and just plain impractical. One of those things that the printers hide under the dryer till it gets forgotten

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 10:28:17 AM »
like a rolling vinyl rack?  Yeah, that's taking up real estate under my dryer right now

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 10:49:55 AM »
Its amazing that anything you need to forget about ends up under the dryer. Its like a Vermuda Triangle for useless crap.....lol
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 01:50:48 PM »
I actually have a lot of our boxes stored under there.  Works great because they are out of the way.  I had to tarp them to keep them clean.