Author Topic: carrier sheetless....  (Read 995 times)

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
carrier sheetless....
« on: May 29, 2012, 04:10:29 PM »
So i have the vastex VRS registration system and it works well except for the carrier sheets. I've seen readings on here about a few of you that have made this system carrierless but have yet to see how until earlier last week. I printed a template and attached it to the vrs and then use same template for my output film, normal. Ok so here is what was the bitch, how to attach the film to the template and keep it in place but still be able to remove it once i put the screen with double sided tape on the film. So the clear shipping tape that I used at the top and the bottom, all the way across the vrs on the template film to hold the template down with, i found that the output film would stick to the non sticky side of the packaging tape but not over power the double sided tape when I pulled off the screen with film attached. I dont know if any film will work but so far ive been using WP film with great results. Hope this made sense...

Offline ScreenPrinter123

Re: carrier sheetless....
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 04:51:15 PM »
Jason,

We rigged up a system with the Vastex VRS system by cutting some pieces of wood/particle board to make a rectangle about an inch or so high (we measured the distance from the ground to the mesh with the print side up in the air and cut the wood a little less then that).  Then we got a 16"x20" or thereabouts piece of glass from home depot (we obviously cut the wood to size where the glass would glue right on top of the wood), drew our template and got some yellow Christmas lights for back lighting.  So, you print your extra set of target marks, put that on the glass, turn the backlit Christmas lights on, put your screen over the raised glass (print side up), and line up the target marks with the velum on top of the mesh with the target marks sitting on the glass.  No double sided tape needed.  Worked pretty well for us.  Below is a picture of it -- we, of course, reversed the way the bumps were sitting on both the off press board and the on-press jig.   I despise carrier sheets -- always had to clean them off!

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
Re: carrier sheetless....
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 06:25:51 PM »
I put a few spots of regular scotch tape around the perimeter of the template on the screen jig, then put a dot of waterbased platen adhesive on the spots of tape. Use double-sided or folded-ove scotch tape on the face of your films to hold to the screen. The waterbased adhesive has just enough tack to it to hold it in place, but will release the film when the screen is lifted. The double-sided tape has more tack than the dots of platen adhesive.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .