Author Topic: Disney Trademarks 'Seal Team 6,' Name Of Unit That Killed Bin Laden  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Disney Trademarks 'Seal Team 6,' Name Of Unit That Killed Bin Laden
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/14/disney-trademarks-seal-te_n_862010.html
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
How the hell does that work? If they are the first at the patent office but not the first to actually use the phrase on a shirt or whatever their patent covers would that not make them late to the game? Couldn't Jo Schmo step up and show proof of his prior art with Seal Team 6 on it and fight the trademark and apply for his own?
"No man is an island"

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
My question would be, Will they at least give the U.S.Navy a discount if they use it?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
What they can/can't do with it depends somewhat on the classes selected for the filing.  From the article:

The applications cover "entertainment and education services," "toys, games and playthings" and "clothing, footwear and headwear."

Keep in mind, these are filings for the mark, not assigned marks.  They have a long journey ahead of them that's going to culminate with a publication in the gazzette for a while.  Up through this time, other parties can contest the mark based on their prior use and you can even contest it afterwards though it's harder to do. Prior use isn't exactly easy to prove either and would require, in addition to building up "Seal Team 6" as a brand of some sort, proof of a sale across state lines.  These are federal marks after all. 

Each party has to take this up on their own dollar and I doubt there are many out there with the bankroll to assemble a strike force of attorneys to trade blows with the whatever covert team of bloodsucking, shark-toothed lawyers Disney keeps in the their trademark enforcement regiments. 

Ok, back to work for me, happy Monday everyone.

Online blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
What they can/can't do with it depends somewhat on the classes selected for the filing.  From the article:

The applications cover "entertainment and education services," "toys, games and playthings" and "clothing, footwear and headwear."

Keep in mind, these are filings for the mark, not assigned marks.  They have a long journey ahead of them that's going to culminate with a publication in the gazzette for a while.  Up through this time, other parties can contest the mark based on their prior use and you can even contest it afterwards though it's harder to do. Prior use isn't exactly easy to prove either and would require, in addition to building up "Seal Team 6" as a brand of some sort, proof of a sale across state lines.  These are federal marks after all. 

Each party has to take this up on their own dollar and I doubt there are many out there with the bankroll to assemble a strike force of attorneys to trade blows with the whatever covert team of bloodsucking, shark-toothed lawyers Disney keeps in the their trademark enforcement regiments. 

Ok, back to work for me, happy Monday everyone.

actually, I don't think most of this would be hard to do. I was stationed in Little Creek (home of the east coast teams) and the local exchange carried clothing with seal team logos and insignia. I would imagine west coast headquarters also has some, so this would be federal level. Chances are many other exchanges carry the SEAL items so I would imagine even a law school dropout would be able to get this overturned in court. The only difference might be if they are doing this in cooperation with the Navy or the SEAL teams themselves.

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Donnie

• !!!
I say Seal Team 6 needs to fly covert and repel into Disney HQ, pop a cap in Mickey's ass and show em who the F owns what.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
I didn't read all of myself but what could have happened is that they may have already had a movie or a short or even a notable scene where that was used. Probably all they are doing is covering their butt when they realized that everyone will now start to capitalize on that name. They probably were using it in something and didn't know anything about the real Seal Team 6 when they started.  Often times they have stuff if the works 5-7 years bftow you and I ever hear about it. I've been to previews...before the previews that showed half still life 2d drawinds mixed in with 3d animation and they had been working on it for 4 years prior.  So chances are, they were doing a seal team 6 before all the Bin laden killing came about. I'm also sure, when you see it come out, it will not be anything close to what you might think it will be about.

Disney would NEVER come close to doing anything about our Seal Team 6 as they were THE Ben laden assignment. they wouldn't touch it. Too much controversey.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
But..............Imagine a team of six seals from Antartica on a quest to rid the world of a band of renegade polar bears bent on World Domination.
Oh and some hijinks, pratfalls, and laughable predicaments ensue along the way.
Anyone care to cast the celebrity voices?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
But..............Imagine a team of six seals from Antartica on a quest to rid the world of a band of renegade polar bears bent on World Domination.
Oh and some hijinks, pratfalls, and laughable predicaments ensue along the way.
Anyone care to cast the celebrity voices?

So you got a sneak peak aeh?   Sounds just like what you might see. Ha.