Author Topic: Another Emulsion to Test Out  (Read 1600 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Another Emulsion to Test Out
« on: June 04, 2012, 05:02:40 PM »
I got a quart of Murakami Photocure Pro-Heavy in this morning and I just coated 15 screens ranging from an 83 to 180/48.  I just shot my first screen after letting it dry for about 90 minutes.  I exposed for only 10 light units even though it's a dual cure and other dual cures I've used recently require almost double that but I wanted to see if it could handle such an under exposure.  It was definitely soft and under exposed but it made it and is going to the press.  I hope to get some fine halftone jobs shot tomorrow to see how well it performs but one screen in, and a price that is damn good, this could be a winner. 

It's got a great solids content for a dual cure which is the main reason why I wanted to try it, 44%, but it seems thicker than any other mid 40's percentage emulsion I've used recsently because of it's viscosity.  The sales rep said they don't sell any of this stuff which does have me wondering what's wrong with it, or perhaps it hasn't been discovered by us textile mongaloids yet.

I'm also going to test it out with short discharge runs and then with some hardener for larger jobs.  I'll keep everyone up to date on this as I get a few more screens into testing.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:22:30 PM by alan802 »
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Another Emulsion to Test Out
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 06:27:17 PM »
Here's a few pics through the loupe on a 180/48.  Pretty damn nice edge, so far so good with this stuff.  There's a little junk in the mesh in spots but if you just look at the emulsion it really looks pretty good.  Time will tell though if it can keep impressing me.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 07:58:32 PM »
We use a Murakami emulsion as well. Not that one but another dual core. Works fine for us, but always looking at newer, better, and cheaper. Please keep us posted. Thanks Alan!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 09:17:35 PM »
How in hadeeees do you take a pic through a loupe?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 09:30:29 PM »
How in hadeeees do you take a pic through a loupe?

Put the iphone camera lense right on the eyepiece and move it around until you get a decent view.  It takes a while sometimes but eventually you'll get a decent view of what your eye is seeing.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 06:47:34 PM »
Ok, I'm not sure why I've never heard of anyone using this stuff.  I've sampled about 6 dual cure emulsions over the last few months and I think this stuff is better than all of them by a mile.  It's got the solids content that I'm looking for that most dual's don't have.  The exposure times and solids content has kept us away from the dual cure emulsions and I've always had to deal with the lack of holding the finer halftones with an SBQ and not gotten the results I knew were possible with dual cures.  It doesn't have the ability to get those really thick stencils like the PHW Red but for 156+ I think this emulsion might be our new "gamer".  I will buy another gallon and continue to critique it as tough as possible because many times we fall in love with a product and after a few weeks you realize the product isn't all that great.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 07:21:49 PM »
Ok, I'm not sure why I've never heard of anyone using this stuff.  I've sampled about 6 dual cure emulsions over the last few months and I think this stuff is better than all of them by a mile.  It's got the solids content that I'm looking for that most dual's don't have.  The exposure times and solids content has kept us away from the dual cure emulsions and I've always had to deal with the lack of holding the finer halftones with an SBQ and not gotten the results I knew were possible with dual cures.  It doesn't have the ability to get those really thick stencils like the PHW Red but for 156+ I think this emulsion might be our new "gamer".  I will buy another gallon and continue to critique it as tough as possible because many times we fall in love with a product and after a few weeks you realize the product isn't all that great.

We have used Murikami for years with great results. I would be interested to see some halftone results through your loop.

Most shops dont use the types of thick stencils that you are after so they are not looking for the highest solids content its more about price. I have gone through several brands testing and keep coming back to Murikami. I did a lot of testing when we ramped up discharge and I am pretty sold on their Aquasol as well with Ulano a close number two.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 09:50:05 PM »
I used a gallon or two or Murikami Aquasol and it reclaims "stringy" unless I use a hardener. With hardener, it reclaims fine. Why is that??