Author Topic: Does this look like a gallon to you?  (Read 8221 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Does this look like a gallon to you?
« on: June 15, 2012, 12:48:15 AM »
What yall think?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Does this look like a gallon to you?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 01:31:06 AM »
If the container is a little bigger, and leaves room for mixing, I'd say it's a good thing.

On the other hand, if it's a 45A bucket from Kirk Containers (look on the bottom), it is not as full as the IC Navy I just bought.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 02:47:02 AM »
Is it at the bottom fill line?  They could also have packed it by weight... if there is more flake in this batch it could be heavier by volume...

Some metallics will gas over time.... I don't know about I.C. formulations.... So I am not sure if that is the reasoning here.

I would still feel a bit gyped though.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 08:28:01 AM »
i know they ship gallons by weight....a gallon is a gallon...just depends on what that gallon is...just a like a pound of feathers is a lot larger than a pound of bricks...

sam

Offline dburgessjr

• Verified/Junior
  • It's all about MƎ
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 08:37:26 AM »
You know.. I almost did the same thing here by post a pic of my last gallon of ink I purchased.  I bought a gallon of Wilflex White Buffalo and truly felt like there was about quart to a quart and half missing from the bucket.  I called the supplier and they claimed that all the buckets were filled that way and that they were filled by weight.  As much as I tried to pry the info from her, she couldn't / wouldn't tell me how much a full gallon of ink should weigh.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 08:39:04 AM »
i know they ship gallons by weight....a gallon is a gallon...just depends on what that gallon is...just a like a pound of feathers is a lot larger than a pound of bricks...

sam

Galon is a measure for volume and not weight.
If you sell something as a gallon, it should be filled to the same height/line in every color, it should not matter how heavy it is.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 08:53:23 AM »
Sorry but thats not how it is with ink and many other chemicals. Manufacturers and distributors use the term "gallon" as a user friendly description intended for the end user. In actuality each component is sold by weight. A "gallon" of Marine blue does not weigh the same as one of mixing yellow, for instance. Most or all ink manufacturers have a given weight attributed to each ink or additive per "gallon". That isn't to say they don't occaisonally have a "butchers thumb" on the scale at times but assuming everyone is practicing ethical business standards you are getting what you pay for.
It's the cereal box analogy......sold by weight not volume, contents may settle.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 09:00:29 AM »
Sorry but thats not how it is with ink and many other chemicals. Manufacturers and distributors use the term "gallon" as a user friendly description intended for the end user. In actuality each component is sold by weight. A "gallon" of Marine blue does not weigh the same as one of mixing yellow, for instance. Most or all ink manufacturers have a given weight attributed to each ink or additive per "gallon". That isn't to say they don't occaisonally have a "butchers thumb" on the scale at times but assuming everyone is practicing ethical business standards you are getting what you pay for.
It's the cereal box analogy......sold by weight not volume, contents may settle.

I understand that, but at least, they should mark the gallon buckets as "1 Gallon" with " ", so there would not be posts like this :)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 09:13:43 AM »
this came up before and the manufacturer's reps that chimed in explained that you are buying a specific weight in a "Gallon" container. As Colin siad, I know this and still don't like it, but at least understanding why makes it easier to cope with . . .

pierre

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 09:15:51 AM »
Agreed but that would hold them to higher standards wouldn't it?  :P
 In all fairness having visited the Polyone facility in Kennessaw I personally witnessed how they package the ink. It is done with extreme precision and accuracy. Can't speak for the others but I'd like to think they are all on board. Maybe it's my new rose colored glasses!

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 09:19:07 AM »
It does not matter what the "standard" is, you got ripped off.......A gallon should be a gallon.....Put in a protest to your credit card company..

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 09:23:47 AM »
And good luck with that!

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 09:36:56 AM »
I bought an IC red  a few months ago that was just above 1/2 way full ,their excuse was that the ink settled. 

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 09:45:34 AM »

sam

Galon is a measure for volume and not weight.
If you sell something as a gallon, it should be filled to the same height/line in every color, it should not matter how heavy it is.

Agreed sounds like to me as an excuse to cheapskate the customer. I bought some older IC inks from an ink sale and a few newer ones in the clear IC buckets, the newer inks are not filled as high. Could this have something to do with the economy? I've noticed food portions in packaged foods at the super market have also shrunk in size but inflated in price.  Union inks still sell true gallons.  BTW I love how Ryonet relables everything as Ryonet.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 09:47:44 AM by endless ink printing »

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 10:09:51 AM »
I bought an IC red  a few months ago that was just above 1/2 way full ,their excuse was that the ink settled.

You and reds just dont get along.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin