Author Topic: Looking at buying a cutter any suggestions?  (Read 3497 times)

Offline JayzTeez

• !!!
  • Manual Screen Printer
Looking at buying a cutter any suggestions?
« on: June 25, 2012, 03:47:51 PM »
Im looking into purchasing a cutter.  i would use it for names and numbers on back of jerseys and i would like to make up those stickers that everyone wants with there kids name on them for the back of there car windsheild.   my question is what brands are the best and affordable and where do you buy the material and what do i need to buy with it.    thank you in advance.
Jayz Teez Screen Printing
Houtzdale, PA.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: Looking at buying a cutter any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 03:50:42 PM »
The GCC Expert 24 would be the least I would buy. I tried cheap cutters from US Cutter and they both broke within 6 months. Calendered Sign Vinyl for windows and heat transfer vinyl for shirts. Lots of vendors for this stuff.

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 03:56:24 PM »
We've been running a Roland GX-24 for six years now.  No complaints, it is a good little cutter.  Like Gerry said, suppliers are all over the place.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 04:19:21 PM »
I'm looking for a GX24 myself right now, my old Roland PNC1100 is about 17 years old, and it won't run on a current Mac; if not, then a Graphtec CE5000-60 (that's their 24"). I can't find any real complaints on either of these 2, and my Roland track record says a lot to me. I have some Roland music equipment too, and it just won't die.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Croft

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 05:18:42 PM »
My GX24 has worked perfect for a few years now, my previous Roland 24" cutter lasted 10 + years,   Did signs originally but now I cut names specialty numbers out of Stahls material with it.
 I'll never screen a name again.

Offline beanie357

• !!!
  • Patience begets quality
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 05:30:15 PM »
We have 2 graphtecs. 5000 and an fc8000
8000 is a rock star.
5000 is ok, but you need to undertand where to put stuff for the eye.
software seemed easier than roland
neither has burped in a year.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 06:59:26 PM »
I have both Graphtec and Roland and though I'll admit I'm still learning the Roland I believe that the software is a tad better (more powerful) with the Graphtec.

That's not to say the Roland is a slouch... in fact the Roland software is better in many facets as well.  Just think the Graphtec edges it out overall.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 07:08:06 PM »
Roland or Summa. Spend the extra money and buy it once. I have a GX-24 and it has run flawlessly for over two years. I use the plugin for Illustrator and go.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 07:41:24 PM »
Summa is probably doing the best cutters.

Offline JayzTeez

• !!!
  • Manual Screen Printer
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 07:48:28 PM »
Thanks so much for all the replies.   i am leaning towards the roland gx24.   what all will i need to buy to get this up and running?  i currently run corel draw x4  and what supples do i need to get to start out for stickers and heat applied film?    thanks
Jayz Teez Screen Printing
Houtzdale, PA.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 07:57:33 PM »
Cutter, Films, Tweezers or Pick Tool, Vinyl, Transfer Tape when doing stickers, signs, etc.., Heat Press, Cover Sheet and some patience to weed.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 08:02:02 PM »
Thanks so much for all the replies.   i am leaning towards the roland gx24.   what all will i need to buy to get this up and running?  i currently run corel draw x4  and what supples do i need to get to start out for stickers and heat applied film?    thanks

Especially for stickers I would choose a Summa. Many of their cutters can dye, contour cut and flex cut. Flex cut allows you to cut right through the backing paper of the vinyl sticker, which is a great feature.
http://www.summausa.com/downloads/dseries.pdf
Most Graphtec and Roland cutters cut only though the vinyl but not through the backing paper.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 12:25:20 AM »
What kind of budget do you have?....

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 08:51:28 AM »
I have an ioline 1100 and it's a tank as well.  I've had it for over 10 years and it's great.

Somehow I tricked the computers here into thinking it was a laser printer and I can use it over the network on a print server.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 10:32:02 AM »
I'm on a Mac, and use the Illustrator plug-in for my Graphtec 24" cutter. Very easy to use, fast and accurate. One advantage of the grit-wheel type feed is you can use small cut-off pieces. I'd say the one disadvantage is, especially with smaller pieces, is you do have to make sure they're feeding squarely.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .