Author Topic: Reclaiming question  (Read 7186 times)

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
Re: Reclaiming question
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2012, 05:51:47 PM »
Sorry Gil, this is the booth we have, we cut a hole in the upper left side of the top to duct in the duct and the other image is the blower that we use. So far the set up has lasted 6 years and still tickin'.

Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2012, 08:35:34 PM »
Thanks for the follow up.

I've got quite a few plans for my duct work and figured I'd need something at the end to assist even though my dryer vent would be a fairly short and straight run (one 90).

I want to do a radiator inside the duct (appropriately sized to not cause too much restriction) that I would circulate (thermal siphon) to a storage tank for washing out screens.  I'll be plumbing a portable AC unit's exhuast in there as well.

I'm guessing some Y's should keep things from back feeding and keep things moving.

I also have a couple of extra large squirrel cage fans... I'm wondering if I put one in front of the Y coming from my dryer would it work to siphon out the heat from the dryer as well or do you think it might push against the air coming out of the dryer?

For my money, you want to be able to attenuate the air flow out of the oven, too much and you can be in trouble, not enough and it gets hot and hazy inside. In my shop we run everything from pad-print to lexan-graphic to glass/ceramic/metal to garments through the oven, so being able to dial it in is a real asset. Heck being able to dial it down and enjoy the ambient heat in the winter is great being in the frozen North  ;D. For garment-only finding the right flow and leaving it there is probably fine. You can do that by a blast-gate, or by a dump that allows air-intake somewhere else on the line to lessen what you get down-stream. Blast gates are great, but if you are rally toning down how much suction you have you can end up creating a vacuum for the bolwer and over-rev it. A vacuum dump up by the ceiling is a great way to cool down most shops.

Out of the wash-out booth it's hard to have too much air flow as long as it's not sucking in you glasses, hat, small people etc. I'd look at a dedicated line to one of your big squirrel cages, and run the oven through a fan you can turn down a bit on a separate line.

I run the same one as screenprintguy on my oven, they come in a variety of air-flows and duct diameters, for an extra 30-40 I was able to get the speed control rheostat system, which requires a minor-rewire in the fan control box. it's whisper silent at the speeds we run it, and barely audible at full speed.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2012, 08:42:28 PM »
Gil, most HVAC supply shops, or even the local hardware store will have in-duct fans for sale, add a few elbows and some straight duct and you're in business. I'd also recommend a one-way flap on the outside vent to prevent drafts from coming back in when you don't want them.

Cheers,
jon

And critters! There are plenty of stories about pigeons apparently trying to join the workforce ending up  maimed or roasted or both in dryer vents.

Lol. About 15 years ago we came into the pad-print shop one morning and the workers were freaked right out. There was an awful screeching/moaning/wailing sound from the ventilation system. it sounded like a rabid Raccoon or something. We traced it down to the squirrel cage at the bottom on the wall. Wearing welder gloves, a full face mask and heavy jacket my co-worker waited with an old fishing net. i slowly undid the duct work and we found........................-------------->!

........A tiny little kitten, that had been in there overnight, peed and gotten all mucked up in the dust/dirt in the squirrel cage for years. Boy did the ductwork amplify his little wails. We washed him off and cleaned him up and I took him to a good friends house. He had him for over to 10 years, a great cat as far as cats go....named Dusty of course.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 08:58:34 AM »
according to the reps, citrus and soy
Actually it is Soy and Water Based.  Citrus is not necessarily "green"  It is better than solvent based chemicals such as mineral spirits.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald