Author Topic: Reclaiming question  (Read 7185 times)

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
Reclaiming question
« on: June 28, 2012, 10:23:11 AM »
I reclaim screens maybe once a week and it seems that the day after I get a sore throat. I use strip-e- doo and bean-e-doo to reclaim with. Should I be using a particulate mask or respirator? The pressure washing atomizes the products and Im surely inhaling them.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Reclaiming question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 10:38:29 AM »
That happened to me with those same products. Out the door they went. Wearing some sort of respiratory protection is a good idea however simple dust mask do not block or filter out fumes. They only stop particulates and not the vapor.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 10:57:35 AM »
So what products are you using now?

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 11:53:40 AM »
This may sound over simplistic, but how about merely not inhaling while directly over a screen if brushing it on, or likewise, when blasting, if not a reasonable distance away?

I don't use those particular products, but all reclaiming liquids that I've seen are darn similar, varying only in strength, (though I am not familiar with any bean-based products which breakdown emulsion)
If this is all true, then there is a certain irony to the "all natural safe alternative" being more harmful than the nasty stuff.

As some of you may know from my oft repeated history, I actually was a full time screen cleaner for more years than I care to remember, and like so many things regarding printing technique, some things just come naturally, and are difficult to quantify.
I definitely notice the odor and potential "sting" of the reclaiming liquid, but apparently have learned to really minimize its effect with no respirator. I don't even know what the standard industry recommendation is.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:58:31 AM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 11:57:40 AM »
I use Murikami. That is the emulsion we use now and it works good for us. It also works on Ulano, Kiwo, and CCI. I have gone through a lot of different chems looking for the least offensive smells and side effects. If I dont want to breath it then I do not want my guys in the shop doing it either.

When I clean screens I do like Frog says. I minimize the atomizing of the chemicals as much as possible to avoid inhaling that crap.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 12:08:58 PM »
CCI and put an exhaust fan by your side of a fan blowing on you. I had this problem with easisolve ink cleaner..

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 12:25:10 PM »
I use ICC and plus I clean outside in back of our shop and I still get a good wiff of clems at times, being in a close area I would have a good exhuast fan to pull flumes out.

D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 12:33:20 PM »
Minimizing exposure is definitely the easiest step to implement.
I use a 3M particulate/carbon filter mask--#8247--it helps with the mist as well as the vapors.  They are not not heavy duty--but even nasty chemicals are much less noticeable with it.

Even if chemicals don't 'irritate' you, that doesn't mean they are good for you...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 12:42:36 PM »
screen foo is right.  if OSHA came in they would fine your butt for that.

I have 2 options available for my guys, either eyewear with a 3m mask, or a full face "gas mask."  Their choice.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 12:47:55 PM »
Actually, if OSHA came out, they wouldn't do a heckuva lot to a small shop with no employees like Jason's.

And when, sufficient full face masks and goggles are made available to employees in larger shops, many would need to be forced to wear them.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 12:48:13 PM »
I cut a hole in the roof of our booth and put an 8" turbo duct blower to exhaust any fumes from the booth, it works awesome. If it's not on, you can really tell the difference. We use SPA chems and beenie doo and that with the exhausting allows our reclaim guy to spend full days back there without any fumes.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 01:11:27 PM »
screen foo is right.  if OSHA came in they would fine your butt for that.

I have 2 options available for my guys, either eyewear with a 3m mask, or a full face "gas mask."  Their choice.

"gas masks" or respirators have some issues too - the employee has to be checked by a doctor to make sure that they are fit to wear one.  resistance from the filters can cause some persons to not breathe normally, preventing them from getting enough oxygen. 

our guys use a face shield  - they preferred it to goggles.  safety glasses dont protect against splashes.  we also have reusable and disposable aprons.   elbow length gloves too...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:33:25 PM by Zelko-4-EVA »

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 01:28:06 PM »
Actually, if OSHA came out, they wouldn't do a heckuva lot to a small shop with no employees like Jason's.

Stop it frog, I am trying to scare him into taking better care of himself. ;)

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 04:07:41 PM »
Two chemicals I use that raise hell with me is EasiSolv 701 and Renuit haze remover. I'll get irritation in my throat from the 701. I can't even breathe with the Renuit when I hit the screen with the pressure washer.

I use a 3M respirator I got at Home Depot. They run about $40. Worth the money.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 07:39:47 PM »
Update!!! I have developed a high grade fever of 103.5,and a super sore throat, went the doctor and I tested positive for strep throat. I asked the doc about the chemical exposer and he said you have strep and the chemicals irratated the strep in my throat. So know I'm stuck on the ezchair, sucking down fluids, ibuprofen, Tylenol and he put me on a z-pac.

I am a one man show and that's the bitch of it all, I'm super busy and unable to work due to the fever and dizziness. Thank God that my clients are very understanding and want me to get well. Hopefully I'll be feeling better by tommorow so I can push some ink around.

But I still get a sore throat from reclaiming. My home made washout booth is shighty at best and I think my neighbors would freak out if they saw me wearing a full on "time for your shower" gas mask...lol! I really don't need a visit from city code or anything. Freaking washout booths are feaking expensive for what they are, I just can't afford a $400 hit for a freaking sink and that's a cheap one from Ranar. My spine crawls everytime when I see a city truck or an unidentified car drive by. I really don't know If I'm breaking any laws or city codes and I don't want to know or inquirer about it at this time.