Author Topic: 700 microns?  (Read 2766 times)

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
700 microns?
« on: July 12, 2012, 04:42:20 PM »
Now that I have your attention which one of you guys or girls has experience with Ulano (or any company) cap film at the 700 micron level? We have been using the 300 and 400 micron level for some projects and I know Ulano offers a 700 micron cap film. I want to try it because I know sooner or later our client is going to want to "take it up a notch," or whatever they say. Anything I should be aware of in the actual printing with it on an auto? The 300 and 400's are no problem I can't see this being any different. Thanks!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: 700 microns?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 04:57:29 PM »
700 microns, do they sell that by the pound?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 06:17:10 PM »
It's a pricey sheet of emulsion, that's for sure.  I've printed through a 400 sheet and a bunch of 200 direct emulsion screens but nothing that thick.  I'm thinking you'll have to speed up your stroke a little bit and there will be a change in dynamics where the stencil wall may change the shear rate or cause you to need more pressure, or it could be the opposite.  It's hard to tell how the extra stencil wall will affect the ink deposit process, but I'd like to study it one day.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »
It's a pricey sheet of emulsion, that's for sure.  I've printed through a 400 sheet and a bunch of 200 direct emulsion screens but nothing that thick.  I'm thinking you'll have to speed up your stroke a little bit and there will be a change in dynamics where the stencil wall may change the shear rate or cause you to need more pressure, or it could be the opposite.  It's hard to tell how the extra stencil wall will affect the ink deposit process, but I'd like to study it one day.

dunno about printing, but only time I tried, I took me an hour to blow it out! It had a lot of detail and had to work through all the little nooks and crannies and eventually just lost patience. I hit the stencil from the squeegee side and it delaminated! That was it for 700's for me!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 07:25:11 PM »

dunno about printing, but only time I tried, I took me an hour to blow it out! It had a lot of detail and had to work through all the little nooks and crannies and eventually just lost patience. I hit the stencil from the squeegee side and it delaminated! That was it for 700's for me!

pierre

Hahaha, thanks guys. Yeah, think when it does arrive I will just come in on a Sat or Sunday with a six pack

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 07:29:06 PM »
Post exposure dip tank can work wonders.

I've heard of folks coating a screen 1/1 or whatever, drying, building a dam of packing
tape on the print side and pouring in emulsion. No idea if it works.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 07:34:44 PM »
The only time I seen anything that thick was on stainless mesh and it was used for printing gaskets. If memory serves correctly I believe we had to apply the cap film like normal but instead of water we used some type of emulsion on the ink side to give it a better grip on the stainless mesh.
"No man is an island"

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 07:36:25 PM »
The only time I seen anything that thick was on stainless mesh and it was used for printing gaskets. If memory serves correctly I believe we had to apply the cap film like normal but instead of water we used some type of emulsion on the ink side to give it a better grip on the stainless mesh.

This would probably solve the delamination and is likely a requirement to hold up all that print side eom.  I have a hard time imagining printing through something like this.  Good luck man. 

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 07:48:16 PM »

For our cap film we use emulsion instead of water for application. Works great. Thanks for the input!

Offline starchild

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 10:29:37 PM »
Have anyone tried the Monster Max Scoop Coater? Among the list of claimed benefits is the adjustable endcaps for up to 3/16 thick emulsion deposit "home-made capillary film” I believe it's from the innovators of the Ergo Force Squeegee. It goes for 27 bucks on techsupportsps.

The manual is at the bottom of this page..
http://www.performancescreen.com/monster-max-emulsion-scoop-coater