Author Topic: MHM reg. pins, right one is 0.2mm higher. Anyone knows why?  (Read 2521 times)

Offline BorisB

The right pin in screen holder is slightly longer. It also looks like it has kind of "crown" on top? Why is this so? Because bushings are deeper and don't touch top of pin.

Boris

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: MHM reg. pins, right one is 0.2mm higher. Anyone knows why?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 05:02:30 PM »
I have a few different style ones on my press. I haven't seen any thing wrong with them. The length of the pin should not matter as long as it doesn't bottom out in the bushing. Is that the same on all your heads? Is this a new press?

Offline BorisB

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 05:40:41 PM »
I also think it doesn't matter.

It's older SP 3000. In spare parts list there are two different screen location pin types.

http://www.hirschinternational.com/Support/Manuals-Videos/~/media/Files/Support/Product%20Resources/MHM%20Screen%20Printing/spare_parts_automatic_sp3000.ashx

on page 20, and I beleive there must be a reason why they make them this way. their answer was ( in german) to balance/ equalize/ settle frame.

I didn't understand, will ask tomorrow once more. I speak german, I'm just not clever enough to get what he meant.
Boris

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 06:02:43 PM »
Are you physically looking at the parts or just going off the diagram? On the diagram it shows what looks to be the same parts. The just call one D12 and the other D12.2. Then the place one at each location. On my e-type they are the same at each location. I don't know the 3000 at all. But I know the bushings used are the same on all the presses. 

Offline BorisB

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 06:08:22 PM »
yes,  Screened, they are different. I'm home now, it's midnight here, don't have them here. Half of them are  0.2 mm longer for fact, confirmed by MHM, and you can it. If looking closely enough. I'm just too damn stupid to get it why.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 12:41:38 AM »
Maybe the 3000 uses differant bushings? That is strange that half would be longer. I don't see a reason why.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 08:51:02 AM »
interesting!
the press has all the stations loaded with screens and I did not want to stop the production, but will check between jobs.
The registration definitely has two different kinds of pins, one side does have a little crown (of sorts). The difference is so subtle I can't see where it would make any difference.

peirre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 01:15:28 PM »
This is interesting. I just looked at mine again and mine are all the same. I guess my press is not Royalty (no crowned pins). Can someone take a picture so I can see what you’re talking about. Mine are brass colored and they are all the same.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 01:22:31 PM »
Are we talking Newmans here or what?

I know we have two different style pins for the roller frames. Both work the same though.

In terms of one pin being different sized than the other I could see it as a way to "seat" the frame
in the holder easier. Sort of like putting in a plug from a slight angle as opposed to straight on if
that makes sense.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 01:29:09 PM »
we're talking about the pins on the press (ours matches the FPU with two different types). One on the right has a notch cut in it right at the end. The left one is smooth. They look the same unless you get to within six inches of it and take a closer look. It's just a slight groove around the circumference.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 01:42:35 PM »
we're talking about the pins on the press (ours matches the FPU with two different types). One on the right has a notch cut in it right at the end. The left one is smooth. They look the same unless you get to within six inches of it and take a closer look. It's just a slight groove around the circumference.

pierre

wow, I just went back to my press and mine does have that. It is so small that I didn't even think that is what your talking about. Its just enough that your finger nail gets caught on it when you move it over the pin. I would be very surprised if that does anything.

I just took a bushing and put it on both types and they do the exact same. It doesn't lock or catch on the .2 MM crown or anything. MHM must have a reason for it. Why would they take the time to put one on each right side of the heads if they didn't have to. Just doesn't make sense to manufacture a part if they didn't have to. Maybe the crown is just a indicator for something else that is different about the part. Like its a fraction thicker to improve registration?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 02:03:37 PM by Screened Gear »

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 02:25:59 PM »
might have something to do with construction. This way they know which side goes left/right.

pierre