Author Topic: Client brings in 50 orders all 24 shirt orders?  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Client brings in 50 orders all 24 shirt orders?
« on: July 25, 2012, 03:09:53 PM »
How do you figure out the turn around time?

All need artwork sep, clean up. almost all are 1/1 some 2/1. All orders have 4 to 5 sizes of shirts. some have hoodies and v or crew neck shirts. Lets not for get color changes on almost half the orders.

This is a nightmare and I want to know what you guys would do. Can't tell them to F-off to good of a client.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Client brings in 50 orders all 24 shirt orders?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 03:22:40 PM »
Work your way through them 1 order at a time and quote them.....Many who struggle to make a living would jump at such an opportunity.....Good luck....

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 03:24:23 PM »
Yup, work one at a time. It would help if the customer has all the details layed out and you wouldnt have to question anything. That would be ideal.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 03:24:37 PM »
Spreadsheets can help. I feel your pain.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 03:40:27 PM »
we get these on regular basis. Royal pain in the behind. It often takes a couple hours just to write up the invoice. In the end, they are an OK order. The money is not as good, but it is not bad either. You just have to work your way through it.
time frame will depend on your throughput.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 03:42:22 PM »
Its alot of work. I am really asking this in hind sight. I already got the job and finishing it up this week. I messed up and never thought about how long it would take (way to busy to quote everything up front, client knows my pricing and is fine with what ever it comes to). It took over 15 hours to sort all the shirts into the orders. Many have color changes so all the jobs break down into close to 100 piles of shirts. Then you have the sizes that need to be sorted out at the end of printing each. You don't think about the time it takes for that, normally only 10 mins a job. But when you multiply that by almost 100 jobs (with color changes) its over whelming.

Here is a question: how long would you have told them this would take???

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 04:15:03 PM »
Its alot of work. I am really asking this in hind sight. I already got the job and finishing it up this week. I messed up and never thought about how long it would take (way to busy to quote everything up front, client knows my pricing and is fine with what ever it comes to). It took over 15 hours to sort all the shirts into the orders. Many have color changes so all the jobs break down into close to 100 piles of shirts. Then you have the sizes that need to be sorted out at the end of printing each. You don't think about the time it takes for that, normally only 10 mins a job. But when you multiply that by almost 100 jobs (with color changes) its over whelming.

we have printed as many as 30 of those in a day. So there's solid two days worth of work. Adding it to other work, we'd probably tell them about 10 days (to make sure we get all the art and garments ready).

but, that was with six ppl. . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 04:26:01 PM »

we have printed as many as 30 of those in a day. So there's solid two days worth of work. Adding it to other work, we'd probably tell them about 10 days (to make sure we get all the art and garments ready).

pierre

I think your about right. I have about 15 hours in art and cleanup (including film output) I have 15 hours in sorting before printing. With my work load (its just nuts here) Its going to take 2.5 to 3 weeks from the day I got the last of the shirts in. That includes sorting after printed and boxing. Not sure I would want one of these again.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 04:28:36 PM »
I would have said 4-5 weeks.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 04:51:51 PM »

pierre

I think your about right. I have about 15 hours in art and cleanup (including film output) I have 15 hours in sorting before printing. With my work load (its just nuts here) Its going to take 2.5 to 3 weeks from the day I got the last of the shirts in. That includes sorting after printed and boxing. Not sure I would want one of these again.

last time I did this, I was initially upset about not charging for the art cleanup. But we throw in 5-10 min of art per color so while it was a lot of hours to get it done, it was still within what we normally throw in and the bill for a day was around $2k which is where I want to be.

pierre

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 05:40:44 PM »

pierre

Charge for the time of everything. Unpacking, organizing, hang tags, polybagging, whatever you have to do to complete the order. I laugh when clients want stuff like that for free. 5000 blanks divided into multiple designs with color changes and then half get one sleeve and half another and then two different inside tags. The some are plastisol, some discharge, some plain old water base. Pretty common here. The first few orders like that we did not charge enough because we thought we would loose clients. When we had to charge more because we are not in China (and like to make profit) they did not even blink an eye. Sometimes some of these shirt breakdowns take almost one or two guys a whole day. We charge for that. Your garments arrived in polybags? There is a fee for that. The only client we ever lost to pricing wanted 100,000 shirts - one color front, sleeve, inside tag print (with us removing the label - split seem, sew back together) hang tag , polybag, then barcode the bag. All for $0.95 a shirt. That is bananas! Even the larger shops in the area with several autos laughed when I approached them.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 06:00:39 PM »
I think the key is to not give a discount based on the total volume and treat it like 50 different customers with 24 pc orders. If your pricing structure is good then it should just represent a good weeks (or two) worth of work.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 06:05:01 PM »
I think the key is to not give a discount based on the total volume and treat it like 50 different customers with 24 pc orders. If your pricing structure is good then it should just represent a good weeks (or two) worth of work.

that is the case with us. We got paid as if it was 30 different orders. It just seemed frustrating as I was spending hours on the art (which we are not used to doing for one order). In the end, the art/prepress probably took just under what it would take for that many orders. . .

pierre

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 06:05:42 PM »

That's how I priced it. Instead of ink change charges I most of them as 12 shirt orders. Its not the money that is the issue its the amount of work. for a one man shop. Having an auto does not help with a job like this. Its all being printed manually. To many ink changes and small jobs to even think about putting it on the auto.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 09:03:14 PM »

Absolutely.  If they can't understand the concept behind this you don't want to work with them.  But sometimes it does take some explainin'. 

I am adamant that each job is priced per detail and by it's qty and that policy holds now and on future orders.  People get this quickly but some like to try and dance around it.  Others think you are giving poor service by not throwing 6 canvas bags into the Tshirt/hoodie/zip hoodie/kids Ts order with a color variant on half and pricing it all as one job.  I literally had someone do this today.  Load the guns and stick to them rather than give yourself and your printers nightmare work that drinks down shop hours better spent on the good stuff.